What does your girlfriend / wife think of your gaming set-up?

Actual_Criminal
12 hours ago, handymanshandle said:

Well, uh... this is a bit of a predicament... predominately because I'm gay and have a boyfriend...

Wait, you're GAY?! *shocked* Does @pinksnowbirdie know??

49 minutes ago, Actual_Criminal said:

The question was specifically targeted at females. This is because generally, the majority of gamers are predominantly males by a large margin.

Considering 45% of gamers are women, and that number shifts all over the place depending on the genre (from ~70% for some, to ~2% for others), it sounds like the real question you have is "Will I ever find a mate as a nerd?" And nobody can really answer that question completely for anyone else, because relationships are complicated and dynamic. And who knows, your 6 monitor, $12000 dollar rig may not be an issue in the slightest, but will grow into a thing they detest because you spend 80 per cent of your time in WoW raids while ignoring them. Like, if you meet a woman who matches your ideals 99% of the way, are you going to break it off because she doesn't like your PC set up? On the flip side, are you going to put up with a relationship that is wholly unsatisfying and painful just because she thinks you have a sweet PC setup?

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

1 hour ago, The1Dickens said:

Considering 45% of gamers are women, and that number shifts all over the place depending on the genre (from ~70% for some, to ~2% for others), it sounds like the real question you have is "Will I ever find a mate as a nerd?"

False statistics. That 45% is largely candy crush and the like. Not exactly a dedicated game room nor elaborate setup. By that statistic, my mom is a gamer because she'll play bejeweled while waiting at the DMV.

#Muricaparrotgang

7 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

False statistics. That 45% is largely candy crush and the like. Not exactly a dedicated game room nor elaborate setup. By that statistic, my mom is a gamer because she'll play bejeweled while waiting at the DMV.

A.) I did point out the swing broken down in genre. Its in your quote even.

B.) Most men also don't have "dedicated game rooms", and "elaborate" is subjective, unless it is clearly defined in the survey somewhere.

C.) Yes, that makes your mom a gamer. Sorry to break it to you.

D.) One (of many) reason(s) this is likely skewed as it is: gatekeeping. How many women call themselves a gamer, and then face immediate attacks because they don't know Link's bloodtype or Samus' pet's name from the manga? Or some other obscure BS info.

E.) That doesn't even take into account the level of "hardcore" one considers themself. Which also varies person to person, unless explicitly defined in the survey.

By your metric, I'm not a gamer, because I have a "simple" setup, and it's in my bedroom, not a dedicated room.

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, The1Dickens said:

A.) I did point out the swing broken down in genre. Its in your quote even.

B.) Most men also don't have "dedicated game rooms", and "elaborate" is subjective, unless it is clearly defined in the survey somewhere.

C.) Yes, that makes your mom a gamer. Sorry to break it to you.

D.) One (of many) reason(s) this is likely skewed as it is: gatekeeping. How many women call themselves a gamer, and then face immediate attacks because they don't know Link's bloodtype or Samus' pet's name from the manga? Or some other obscure BS info.

E.) That doesn't even take into account the level of "hardcore" one considers themself. Which also varies person to person, unless explicitly defined in the survey.

By your metric, I'm not a gamer, because I have a "simple" setup, and it's in my bedroom, not a dedicated room.

1. You didn't specify genres, just that it changed, and it doesn't defeat my point. My mom occasionally plays games on her phone, those stats would call her a gamer but she most certainly is not.
  2. This thread is literally titled "What does your girlfriend / wife think of your gaming set-up?" A setup is not a phone and at the very least indicates a console and a TV, with it being more poised towards "Gaming set-ups." Point invalidated.
  3. No, it does not. I've played chess before, I'm not a grand-master nor an aficionado. I've played a game. I've also watched a movie in my lifetime, I'm not a film critic. I've eaten food, I'm not a chef. I've changed a tire and a spark plug, I'm not a mechanic.
  4. What? No one gives a shit about that and it has literally no relevance.
  5. You don't need to be "hardcore." You just need to be actively engaged. Playing Candy Crush to kill time in the DMV doesn't exactly cut it.

No, by my metric you have a simple setup. I have triple screens and surround sound, my buddy has a PS5 in his living room. He actively plays. His wife HAS played, but doesn't actively engage and is not a gamer. Anyone who snaps a picture with their phone at any point in their life time is not a photographer.

By your metric, my buddy's 3 year old is a gamer because she's touched a controller and pressed a button. Anyone who's ever strummed a guitar or pressed a key on a piano is a musician by your definition.

#Muricaparrotgang

1 minute ago, JZStudios said:

By your metric, my buddy's 3 year old is a gamer because she's touched a controller and pressed a button.

If that's how you read that, then I don't know what to tell you, my dude. Sorry? I guess? 🤣

Spoiler

Well you see, hmmm... the problem here is that there are 2 girlfriends in this household, as we are a lesbian couple. So youll have to be more specific. hahaha

In all seriousness, if a girl doesnt see you a second time because of your setup, she isnt the one.

Edit: Oops, joke has already been done

Edited by starry

Daily Driver (Lenovo Y700 Laptop)

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Core i7-6700HQ  ||||  16GB DDR4-2666    ||||   GeForce GTX 960m  

250GB Samsung 970 Evo | 500GB Samung 840 Evo 

Windows Gaming PC

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i7-10700k  |||   32GB DDR4-3600  |||   GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER  |||   MSI z490 A-Pro  |||   EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold

120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM

Bedroom HTPC and Emulation Box

Manjaro Linux  ||||   Intel Xeon E3-1231v3  ||||   8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon RX 460   |||  Asus B85M-G

120GB SSD

Living Room HTPC - Optiplex 790 SFF

Manjaro Linux  |||  Intel Core i5-2400  |||  8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon HD 5450

120GB SSD

10 hours ago, handymanshandle said:

I'm gonna be honest, what I posted was a joke. I don't give a shit about trying to derail this thread, I just found it fun to poke fun at the title. 

The fact that people try to eschew my terrible jokes as me getting offended kinda amazes me. I'm not that kind of person. I have some part of my brain remaining and I don't use Twitter, so that's already two legs up compared to most gays that can't take a joke.

Oh yes I was mainly referring to Commodus comment.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 16-core 5950X

CPU Cooler: Artic Freezer 2 AIO 360mm Radiator

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming

Memory: 32GB (2x16GB) G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600 MHz CL16

GPU: Nvidia RTX 4080 MSI Ventus 3X 16GB GDDR6X

Storage OS: 500GB Samsung 980 Pro Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD

Storage Games: 2TB Corsair MP600 Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD + 2TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD + 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD

Storage Misc: 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute 7200 RPM

PSU: Corsair HX Platinum 1000W 80+

Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower

Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz 1ms 3440p (widescreen) HDR400 OLED panel 34"  + Asus PG258Q 240Hz 1ms 1080p G-Sync TN panel 24.5"

Nothing, because i'm single and lonely...

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

She thinks Im dumb.  

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

17 hours ago, JZStudios said:

False statistics.

It's not like anyone showed any correct statistics in this thread for men, either. Feel free to post actual, believable, real-world statistics from a reputable source. No, you don't count as one.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I sense a thread lock coming.

At the moment I'm not dating anyone (and tbh don't see that changing for a few more years) but considering I'd be starting a relationship while I'm still heavily invested in keyboards (and computers, albeit a bit less) and would like someone who shares my interests, I don't think they'd give a shit lol.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

21 hours ago, The1Dickens said:

If that's how you read that, then I don't know what to tell you, my dude. Sorry? I guess? 🤣

That's what you said. My mom killed time once and now she's a gamer right? I'm following your logic here. If you've ever interacted with a video game in any form, you're a gamer.

5 hours ago, WereCatf said:

It's not like anyone showed any correct statistics in this thread for men, either. Feel free to post actual, believable, real-world statistics from a reputable source. No, you don't count as one.

Why would I post it? I'm not the one posting statistics, but every time these pop up it's always made clear that the vast majority of "gamer girls" are playing candy crush or angry birds.

#Muricaparrotgang

5 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

Why would I post it? I'm not the one posting statistics, but every time these pop up it's always made clear that the vast majority of "gamer girls" are playing candy crush or angry birds.

You're the one whining about statistics and making these wild claims without providing anything other than projections to back yourself up with. You're being a hypocrite and biased.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, WereCatf said:

You're the one whining about statistics and making these wild claims without providing anything other than projections to back yourself up with. You're being a hypocrite and biased.

Whining? Hypocrite? Excuse me, but where was his source statistics? Bitch at him. Stating something is factually incorrect is not whining.

#Muricaparrotgang

This thread has managed to devolve into people who love to stroke their "correctness" all over everyone arguing about some dumb bullshit... as per usual, if I were to be completely honest.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

2 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

This thread has managed to devolve into people who love to stroke their "correctness" all over everyone arguing about some dumb bullshit... as per usual, if I were to be completely honest.

It's the curse of LTT.

It starts off well, and then someone comes in and wrecks it.

As for me?
Don't have either.

elephants

8 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

factually

That right there. You didn't present any evidence, only projections as if they were facts.

The wife could really care less about my setup. She's happy with her laptop I got her for her FB games.  My 30" Dell 3007wfp-hc monitor is about the only thing i've brought home that really caught her attention. She would rather have me blowing money on computer parts rather than drugs like her ex.

PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE AMMUNITION...

EVGA X299 Dark, i7-9800X, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 SLI

Idk my wife is fine with it, hers is better than mine.

You want ire, start buying car parts 

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

31 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

👀

Yeah, she has some girth...😁

IMG_20200722_065045.jpg

25 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

Meaty fuckin' monitor. I've got its younger and arguably better brother (the 3008WFP), so I respect that 3007.

I had looked at the 3008 before getting the 3007. I had read about digital delay issues with the 3008 which sort of steered me away from one. I really do like the black and dark silver housing though. But honestly, I'm a sucker for the split foot bases of the earlier era monitors. That and the 3007 is period correct for my tower.