CPU is underperforming and BIOS is not saving setings in windows. CPU: i9 10850k

Chromo
Just now, Chromo said:

Have you read my post?

I have been build computers for 20 years+

looks like you have not. I'll repost.

CPU: i9 10850k
MB: Asus ROG Strix z490f
Cooling: Corsair H115i Platinum
PSU: Corsair RM850x
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz

When trying to overclock my settings is not applied or saved in windows.

I use Intel XTU for monitoring and it's all at default when i get logged in. and the BIOS settings are not applied.

I did try to OC with XTU and it was working well. 5ghz on all cores stable and below 90c when running Prime95.

When running tests in 3dmark, my CPU is clearly under performing about 2000 points, for some reason. Support from, 3dmark looked at my results and confirmed that something is not right with CPU.

My CPU is not throttling, temp is never above 70c during 3dmark and not above 87 when stress testing with XTU.

I have updated to the latest bios. v.1003.

All is working well otherwise.

Anyone have a clue about what the issue could be?

Does your motherboard have a CMOS battery installed, and if so, is the "Clear CMOS" jumper connected?

elephants

I really really want to tell the OP to run more than a single benchmark , and to never overclock when trying to do diagnostics , as it's the worst thing you can do to create more avenues and failure points that just leads them down incorrect paths.

But I genuinely get the feeling the OP is looking for confirmation of bias vs diagnostic avenues. But I do hope you get it solved.

7 minutes ago, Vishera said:

I understand the mentality,overclocking is a hobby for me,and i do like squeezing every last drop of performance i can.

I have 800MHz overclock on the CPU,266MHz on the RAM,200MHz on the GPU,and 1GHz overclock on the VRAM.

Not after OC. Just a CPU performing at normal lvls.

7 minutes ago, Chromo said:

Have you read my post?

CPU: i9 10850k
MB: Asus ROG Strix z490f
Cooling: Corsair H115i Platinum
PSU: Corsair RM850x
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz

When trying to overclock my settings is not applied or saved in windows.

I use Intel XTU for monitoring and it's all at default when i get logged in. and the BIOS settings are not applied.

I did try to OC with XTU and it was working well. 5ghz on all cores stable and below 90c when running Prime95.

When running tests in 3dmark, my CPU is clearly under performing about 2000 points, for some reason. Support from, 3dmark looked at my results and confirmed that something is not right with CPU.

My CPU is not throttling, temp is never above 70c during 3dmark and not above 87 when stress testing with XTU.

I have updated to the latest bios. v.1003.

All is working well otherwise.

The issue is YOU... and your arrogance.

Try a bit of humility & you may get less hostile responses.

Go into the BIOS @ machine start-up & reset the BIOS to defaults; once that's done, uninstall XTU & read a few tutorials on how to configure an overclock from within the BIOS... that's not me being 'superior', It's me talking common sense.  IF, however, that's too much like hard work then maybe you should exercise some personal self control & do the required learning to be able to get done what you need/want to.

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

1 minute ago, Chromo said:

Red my post again :)

It's a slightly long post,it's only natural for people to miss a thing or two,

Instead of quoting the whole post just quote the relevant information we need,

Remember that we are here to help you,and if you are making it difficult for us on purpose it will take longer to solve your problem,

Also it may cause people to not want to help you,it's disrespectful after all.

2 minutes ago, Chromo said:

This:

7 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Do you have a CMOS battery installed?

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

5 minutes ago, emosun said:

I really really want to tell the OP to run more than a single benchmark , and to never overclock when trying to do diagnostics , as it's the worst thing you can do to create more avenues and failure points that just leads them down incorrect paths.

But I genuinely get the feeling the OP is looking for confirmation of bias vs diagnostic avenues. But I do hope you get it solved.

Thanks  for your input, if you read my post again. i have tried 3 different benchmarks. BIOS settings not saved to windows is my problem, never had that issue under 20 years of computer building, it's like win is booting BIOS at default, not matter what changes.

22 minutes ago, Chromo said:

I used XTU just to try it out...  My problem is BIOS settings does not apply in win. My goal is not to OC at all, but to get ti working at correct performance, something is holding it back, my guess a bios setting, and a cant make one :)

Bios and windows are 2 different things don't confuse them. To see if your bios settings are applied and saved you check the bios not windows.

I will tell you again reset everything back to original settings because obviously you have wrong settings somewhere. Verify that everything works fine with the default settings and then try to overclock.

You should NOT use XTU or any software overclock tool if your bios is unlocked and have all the relevant settings. You should use software overclock in computer that the bios is locked and overclocking settings are non-existent like most prebuilds.

What is holding you back is wrong settings. You talk about bios setting in windows, and that your goal is not to OC but you complain about the OC not working. So something is not right here and it smells like user error.

I will say again RESET everything

10 minutes ago, Chromo said:

Have you read my post?

10 minutes ago, Chromo said:

Red my post again :)

Both signs of exasperation coupled with repeating a flawed exercise & expecting different results...

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

7 minutes ago, emosun said:

Very true,also Cinebench R20 is good for benchmarking CPUs,while 3D mark is a mixed workload with focus on the GPU.

4 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

The issue is YOU... and your arrogance.

Try a bit of humility & you may get less hostile responses.

Go into the BIOS @ machine start-up & reset the BIOS to defaults; once that's done, uninstall XTU & read a fgew tutorials on how to configure an overclock from withing the BIOS... that's not me being 'superior, it's talking common sense.  IF, however, that's too much like hard work then maybe you should exercise some personal self control & do the required learning to be able to get done what you need/want to.

Either OP doesn't listen,or he is busy confusing himself.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

You know what,let's go one step at the time,reset BIOS settings,apply XMP.

If it doesn't apply check the CMOS battery,it maybe need a replacement

5 minutes ago, Vishera said:

You know what,let's go one step at the time,reset BIOS settings,apply XMP.

If it doesn't apply check the CMOS battery,it maybe need a replacement

You get a warning message on boot if the battery is dying.

Lets try a different approach here. You said the BIOS is not saving your overclock settings. Have you tried changing something else in the BIOS and see if that gets saved? Try to change something easy that will be easily checked like NUMLOCK state or something of sorts. If that also is not getting saved then I guess its time to call up Asus and possibly RMA that motherboard. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

FIrst off, I'll be the guy that asks the dumb ass question.

"Are you sure you are hitting F10 and saving bios settings?"

Then I'd either stop XTU from starting with windows because it's setting defaults at start up OR just completely remove the program as it's unstable and buggy (at higher OC settings, or so I've found)

40 minutes ago, Chromo said:

It is cool  and stable.

Thats not my problem at all.

BIOS settings does not save, and at default my CPU under performs about 30%, my guess it is a BIOS setting, but i can't make one because Win boots with BIOS settings at default. That is my problem.

What you are describing is not a stable system if it has bios issues and CPU issues. You are contradicting yourself.

The i9 10850k is a 10 cores 20 threads CPU with 20mb cache and a turbo clock of 5.20ghz. It should not need any overclocking right now maybe when it gets old. Are you CPU limited in ANY application ?

Better leave it as it is than messing it up with wrong OC settings.

20 minutes ago, Biomecanoid said:

The i9 10850k is a 10 cores 20 threads CPU with 20mb cache and a turbo clock of 5.20ghz. It should not need any overclocking right now maybe when it gets old. Are you CPU limited in ANY application ?

Better leave it as it is than messing it up with wrong OC settings.

HI!

Thanks for your input. I am not actually interested in OC.

Maybe my way to summarize my problem was confusing.

I did OC it with software just to make sure it's not broken.

And when comparing to other systems, it is under performing at default, it is not supposed to do that.

And some setting in BIOS must the the way to correct it, problem is BIOS changes are not loaded in win.

If i return to BIOS they are saved, when windows boots, they are reverted to default, i did get some help from Asus forums, and for some reason my CPU is not going into turbo mode. it is active in BIOS but not loaded in windows, that is probably why it is under performing. Have been building computers for 20+ years, and have never had this problem.

1 hour ago, Chromo said:

my CPU is not going into turbo mode.

Base clock is 3.60 GHz,Doen't the frequency go above it?

If it doesn't,and you hit 87C under load,then the temperature is probably the cause.

10 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Base clock is 3.60 GHz,Doen't the frequency go above it?

If it doesn't,and you hit 87C under load,then the temperature is probably the cause.

Thanks for taking time.

As it says in my post, i tried to over clock just to see, it does not throttle at 5ghz on all cores, reaching 87c max during heavy loads in a stress test.

No it never goes above 3.6GHZ. Turbo is enabled in BIOS.

At default it is working at about 27c. tops 35c after many hours.

This model of CPU is throttling at 100C so 87C is fine, even good for a heavy load stress test at 5GHZ all cores. prime 95 for 60 min.

Thanks again for taking time to answer my post.

18 minutes ago, Chromo said:

No it never goes above 3.6GHZ.

There is a problem recently where some software is setting both Intel turbo power limits to 0 Watts. Even with Turbo Boost enabled in the BIOS, if the power limits are set like this, you will get zero turbo boost and your CPU will max out at its base frequency which is 3.6 GHz for the 10850K. Not yet sure of what is causing this problem but it is happening on a variety of motherboards.

Here is how you can test to see what your turbo power limits are set to after you boot up.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/i9-9900k-wont-go-above-3-6ghz-while-gaming.276698/post-4428518 

35 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

There is a problem recently where some software is setting both Intel turbo power limits to 0 Watts. Even with Turbo Boost enabled in the BIOS, if the power limits are set like this, you will get zero turbo boost and your CPU will max out at its base frequency which is 3.6 GHz for the 10850K. Not yet sure of what is causing this problem but it is happening on a variety of motherboards.

Here is how you can test to see what your turbo power limits are set to after you boot up.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/i9-9900k-wont-go-above-3-6ghz-while-gaming.276698/post-4428518 

Thank you for taking time to answer.

It does seems like a plausible cause.

I will try that.

@unclewebb thank you so much for helping me. You had the solution.

And thank you everyone who gave input to my problem.