[ADVICE NEEDED] A lonely CPU with a silly question..

Hello all.

I have a bit of a strange question, which is: is it okay to leave a CPU (AMD Ryzen 9 5900X) installed in the motherboards (Asus ROG Strix X570-E) socket for a longer period of time? 

I am asking this because I (to be honest) really wasn't planning on actually starting my system up, since I am still waiting for the RTX 3080 Ti to launch (or in other words - happy to wait till summer for things to stabilize), which is why I was trying to test out the AIO (Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 (rev. 3)) install process without installing the CPU. In this particular case the stiffness of the assembly is, I assume, dependant on the CPU being installed as well.

Anyways, I was thinking about just leaving the CPU installed in the socket and just putting everything back into the motherboards antistatic bag and box.

Is there any chance of condensation building up e.g. around the pins of the CPU, while it's enclosed in the motherboards socket, due to temperature differences (going from winter to summer for example)? 

Thank you all in advance for your time and help!

its fine to leave the CPU in the socket. if I don't have a socket cap I'll leave a CPU in

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

19 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

its fine to leave the CPU in the socket. if I don't have a socket cap I'll leave a CPU in

Hey @GDRRiley, so even the temperature differences going from winter to summer shouldn't affect anything?

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it!

1 minute ago, gal-m said:

Hey @GDRRiley, so even the temperature differences going from winter to summer shouldn't affect anything?

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it!

no that shouldn't matter

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

You worry too much. 

Board will be in a bag, in a box ... how much humidity do you think it will absorb?  If you're paranoid, shove some silica gel packs in the bag.

Condensation won't be an issue.... it will probably be enough to take out the motherboard and leave it on the desk for an hour or so to get up to room temperature before connecting it to power supply and the rest of your components.

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

You worry too much. 

Board will be in a bag, in a box ... how much humidity do you think it will absorb?  If you're paranoid, shove some silica gel packs in the bag.

Condensation won't be an issue.... it will probably be enough to take out the motherboard and leave it on the desk for an hour or so to get up to room temperature before connecting it to power supply and the rest of your components.

*or put it in the microwave for 30 seconds*

The statement above is a joke and you should NEVER put motherboards in the microwave

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

5 minutes ago, mariushm said:

You worry too much. 

Now THAT is what I can agree with all day every day hahaha!

8 minutes ago, flashiling said:

you should NEVER put motherboards in the microwave

Okay, here's what's going to happen @flashiling. You will wire me aprox. $2200, so that I may proceed with the purchase of an ROG-STRIX-RTX3090-O24G-GAMING graphics processor unit. 

After that I shall proceed with the assembly of my personal desktop computing unit and we can forget all about that microwaving business, okay there bud?

Because @flashilingotherwise I will have no choice, but to microwave my motherboard and CPU, for which YOU WILL BE RESPONSIBLE!!!

(I'm just joking of course, but hey if you do want to wire me that $2200..)

mooods he's blackmailing me 😧 /s

:D 

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

While it's not good for electronics to sit idle,waiting until summer should be fine.

Batteries and capacitors are the most affected by this.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

17 minutes ago, Vishera said:

While it's not good for electronics to sit idle

I'd be interested to know, based on an at least somewhat scientific answer, how long electronics actually can sit idle..

I've seen new old stock components that have been sitting in some warehouse for the past couple of years, maybe even decade, perform just fine..

I would assume me waiting 6 months wouldn't have any negative impact?

For context: I bought the 5900X, because I was able to get it under MSRP and I bought the X570 board due to price increases by ASUS (and now others as well).

19 minutes ago, gal-m said:

I've seen new old stock components that have been sitting in some warehouse for the past couple of years, maybe even decade, perform just fine..

It depends on how many years,and what kind of capacitors and batteries are in them,and the weather.

Capacitors and batteries have chemicals in them that are required for them to work,over time chemical changes happen.

It's a slow process that take years,lack of use accelerates the process by letting the electrons escape leaving the capacitors to degrade..

That's why lithium batteries are stored and shipped at around 50% charge,too much charge and too low of a charge degrade them faster.

Colder weather slows down the process,while hot weather accelerates it.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566