Why soundbar exists?

IMG_20210110_130602.thumb.jpg.dc954acdd1f058ee3c6106b5917865bb.jpg

This is my tv (pardon le loose wires).For audio, I use a couple of old Yamaha MSP5A. I can assure you these babies sound really fine and have all the volume I need in this room.

If I had no neighbours (or really hate them) I would upgrate to a couple of JBL 308P to get full range and enough volume to demolish the wall opposite. For about 400 euro.

Now, to my point, why should someone buy a toy when you can buy speakers for the same price. Most soundbar starts at 200 euro. You can buy a quite decent couple of 5" speakers with 200 euro.
High end one gets up to 1000+ euro territory. I bet bose's soundbar sound great, because they are good at doing weird stuff, but at 900 euro you can buy a couple of full range speakers AND a new tv.

What's the point in all this? How these things have become popular? Is sorround sound so important? I mean, I personally find sorround really annoying when it's done properly at the cinema (the screen is in the front, why is audio coming from the back?). I dread to immagine how awful must be the fake sorround from a soundbar.

I just can't wrap my head around this whole class of products. Maybe someone that likes soundbars and other weird (from my perspective) audio-for-tv stuff can help me understand.

3 minutes ago, Riccardo Cagnasso said:

why should someone buy a toy when you can buy speakers for the same price

Looks, for example. One, sleek-looking soundbar looks far cleaner than those ugly speakers of yours. Soundbars also often have a bunch of connectors on them, including HDMI, so it's really easy to plug consoles and TVs and the likes to them, ie. easy-of-use.

4 minutes ago, Riccardo Cagnasso said:

Is sorround sound so important?

For many of us, yes.

5 minutes ago, Riccardo Cagnasso said:

the screen is in the front, why is audio coming from the back?

Because if something is happening behind you, then the sound does come from behind you. I mean...duh?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

4 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Looks, for example. One, sleek-looking soundbar looks far cleaner than those ugly speakers of yours.

Ugly? I mean I cannot really argue tastes, but they are... speaker-shaped... speakers. How they are ugly?

6 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Soundbars also often have a bunch of connectors on them, including HDMI, so it's really easy to plug consoles and TVs and the likes to them, ie. easy-of-use.

Ok, but should I compromise sound quality or spend hundreds euros more to avoid connecting one or two more cables? It's a thing you do once, it's not like you connect your speakers every day.

8 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Because if something is happening behind you, then the sound does come from behind you. I mean...duh?

But the universal language of cinema it's about two cameras from different angles that alternate each other. That means that something that is behind you in a moment, gets in front of you after a cut. This happens several times a minute.

The only times where sorround sound might make sense in a movie are during a sequence shot. Which is what, 0.05% of a movie?

Ugly? I mean I cannot really argue tastes, but they are... speaker-shaped... speakers. How they are ugly?

Because they are. There is no explaining taste, mate.

but should I compromise sound quality or spend hundreds euros more to avoid connecting one or two more cables?

No one's telling you to do jack shit. Soundbars are for people who want them.

But the universal language of cinema it's about two cameras from different angles that alternate each other. That means that something that is behind you in a moment, gets in front of you after a cut. This happens several times a minute.

The only times where sorround sound might make sense in a movie are during a sequence shot. Which is what, 0.05% of a movie?

If you don't like surround-sound, then you don't. I don't care. I like surround-sound and to me it does make 100% sense, it adds to the soundscape and when used well, it can really set the scene in a way that's just not possible with stereo-sound.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

4 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

If you don't like surround-sound, then you don't. I don't care. I like surround-sound and to me it does make 100% sense, it adds to the soundscape and when used well, it can really set the scene in a way that's just not possible with stereo-sound.

5.1 surround sound is pretty much the norm for most products, i mean even the apple ear buds that tend to die after 1 or 2 months have 5.1 surround sound.

even my ancient 2008 tv supports 5.1 surround

1 minute ago, GoodEnough said:

5.1 surround sound is pretty much the norm for most products, i mean even the apple ear buds that tend to die after 1 or 2 months have 5.1 surround sound.

Why are you telling me this? I didn't ask anything.

3 minutes ago, GoodEnough said:

Well that's not exactly...

they might not be as powerful, and they can be pricey, however you might get enough for your money.

If you want the best audio, sound bars aren't always great, as you need more POWAAA and stuff to get all the other sound benefits?

else it's just a cheaper way to get a lot of smaller speakers that points out the room for some cinematic experience? higher up in price, is it worth it?

To space limits?

44 minutes ago, Riccardo Cagnasso said:

they are... speaker-shaped... speakers.

That's the point, speakers nowadays don't need to look like speakers from 40 years ago anymore :)

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

That's the point, speakers nowadays don't need to look like speakers from 40 years ago anymore :)

Uh. Why?

You don't need to have big bricks to have good sound quality anymore, and people prefer the newer discreet designs?

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

There are so many reasons for them to exist.

It's similar logic to all in one computers, all in one printers, and Bluetooth headphones.

Some people want everything contained in one unit.

Less wires, simpler setup, takes up less space.

From a retail standpoint it is MUCH easier to sell one unit than dragging someone from section to section explaining different speakers, receivers, and cables. It takes up less retail space on the sales floor/shelves, they are smaller and cheaper to ship from a logistics standpoint. You have less training to worry about for sales staff.

It's one of those things where there are far more positives and negatives. As with all things, it gets cheaper and better every year. So I don't understand why you have so much resentment towards it. If you don't want one, that's the beauty of being a consumer... don't buy one. I personally wouldn't buy one in their current state, nor would I buy an all in one PC, but I appreciate that the need for them exists.

7 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

You don't need to have big bricks to have good sound quality anymore, and people prefer the newer discreet designs?

Well not really. You need a big brick to have good sound. They are just working around it with dsp, math and cleverness. But there are compromises to be made to achieve "slimness".

But that's beside the point. What's so hideous and unbearable about a wooden box that people are spending a lot of money and sacrificing audio quality to ged rid of? I mean, what's wrong with a speaker look? It's an old, elegant, functional design.

It's like saying that you don't like a house because it's too big and then go to live  in a van.

8 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

There are so many reasons for them to exist.

It's similar logic to all in one computers, all in one printers, and Bluetooth headphones.

Some people want everything contained in one unit.

Less wires, simpler setup, takes up less space.

From a retail standpoint it is MUCH easier to sell one unit than dragging someone from section to section explaining different speakers, receivers, and cables. It takes up less retail space on the sales floor/shelves, they are smaller and cheaper to ship from a logistics standpoint. You have less training to worry about for sales staff.

It's one of those things where there are far more positives and negatives. As with all things, it gets cheaper and better every year. So I don't understand why you have so much resentment towards it. If you don't want one, that's the beauty of being a consumer... don't buy one. I personally wouldn't buy one in their current state, nor would I buy an all in one PC, but I appreciate that the need for them exists.

Ah, I see your argument. They look simpler. They feel simpler.
So people resonate to this perceived simplicity.

I'm not hating btw, I just trying to understand something that is completely alien to me.

I love surround sound - its how I can tell where and how someone is trying to sneak up on me in games.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

I use soundbars because they thing and low profile, can fit easily under a tv. Speakers cant.

Soundbars also look a lot cleaner.

12 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

I love surround sound - its how I can tell where and how someone is trying to sneak up on me in games.

Yeah that's of course different

18 minutes ago, Riccardo Cagnasso said:

Ah, I see your argument. They look simpler. They feel simpler.
So people resonate to this perceived simplicity.

I'm not hating btw, I just trying to understand something that is completely alien to me.

Understandable. Even if we were to using the housing analogy you put forth earlier, this would be similar to not understanding why NYC is full of apartment building and not a bunch of houses. There are simply different things for different situations. The full range speaker is the big house. A design as old as time, but in more congested areas you have soundbars, in this example the smaller apartments that allow similar conditions, just more compact.

There is nothing wrong with the large house, but it is not appropriate for a more population dense area in the same way large wooden speakers are not appropriate for smaller spaces. There are better uses for the space.

14 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

Understandable. Even if we were to using the housing analogy you put forth earlier, this would be similar to not understanding why NYC is full of apartment building and not a bunch of houses. There are simply different things for different situations. The full range speaker is the big house. A design as old as time, but in more congested areas you have soundbars, in this example the smaller apartments that allow similar conditions, just more compact.

There is nothing wrong with the large house, but it is not appropriate for a more population dense area in the same way large wooden speakers are not appropriate for smaller spaces. There are better uses for the space.

That's sound logical. Except they are not THAT big. A 5 inch speaker is as big as a couple of books. How many people doesn't have that kind of space in their home?

If someone lives in a capsule hotel, maybe...

51 minutes ago, Riccardo Cagnasso said:

What's so hideous and unbearable about a wooden box that people are spending a lot of money and sacrificing audio quality to ged rid of? I mean, what's wrong with a speaker look?

You just said it: it's a big box. Not everyone likes the looks of speakers and it's pointless for you to keep arguing about it.

Just now, WereCatf said:

You just said it: it's a big box. Not everyone likes the looks of speakers and it's pointless for you to keep arguing about it.

Why? You can argue taste. You can't usually get to a definitive answer but taste is not a completely automatic reaction.

If "you couldn't argue taste", how could you study art or design?

1 minute ago, Riccardo Cagnasso said:

Why? You can argue taste.

I have seen zero proof of that in all my years.

2 minutes ago, Riccardo Cagnasso said:

If "you couldn't argue taste", how could you study art or design?

No idea, I don't pretend to be an artist.

19 minutes ago, Riccardo Cagnasso said:

That's sound logical. Except they are not THAT big. A 5 inch speaker is as big as a couple of books. How many people doesn't have that kind of space in their home?

If someone lives in a capsule hotel, maybe...

That assumes someone's choice is a single issue of speaker size. Often it is not. We are also not dealing with a single speaker, it's two. Two speakers that need to be connected to either a receiver (or each other if we're talking powered speakers). Those speakers need to sit one something. That something requires space. Sure you could mount them to the wall, but then it's still a mess routing the cabling. And that point, most opt for a soundbar.

What's funny about all this is that your powered speakers are essentially just two sound bars. So why it's so difficult to grasp seems odd.

3 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I have seen zero proof of that in all my years.

No idea, I don't pretend to be an artist.

Haven't you studied art at school? An art class is basically that, an argument on why something is considered beautiful.

I can explain why I think a...
speaker shaped speaker is a beautiful object. It's a classic functional design where the shape of the object beautifully express and enhance the functionality.

You should be able to similarly elaborate your dislikebess for it beside "it's big". Of course is fine if you can't but... well it's interesting.

3 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

That assumes someone's choice is a single issue of speaker size. Often it is not. We are also not dealing with a single speaker, it's two. Two speakers that need to be connected to either a receiver (or each other if we're talking powered speakers). Those speakers need to sit one something. That something requires space. Sure you could mount them to the wall, but then it's still a mess routing the cabling. And that point, most opt for a soundbar.

What's funny about all this is that your powered speakers are essentially just two sound bars. So why it's so difficult to grasp seems odd.

Ok you have a point on raw convenience.

But no. A powered speaker is not a soundbar. The difference is in the shape. In one case is optimized for audio quality, in the second is optimized for... not sure.