Stop Children What's That Sound... GPU shortages :P

papajo
10 hours ago, papajo said:

Are we making circles here?  exactly for the same reason RX 5700 Xts cost 500 to 700$ (or RTX 2080 800 to 900$) because the supply of new GEN stuff is artificially limited which raises the prices ! 

I would like you to answer the question I asked you 2 days ago.

What graphics card is in your main PC at the moment?
You still have not answered.

elephants

10 hours ago, papajo said:

Are we making circles here?  exactly for the same reason RX 5700 Xts cost 500 to 700$ (or RTX 2080 800 to 900$) because the supply of new GEN stuff is artificially limited which raises the prices ! 

as @ragnarok0273said, old stuff is not being produced anymore

New stuff is at such high demand because the price/performance increase over last gen is insane

Since new stuff is in shortage, old stuff is under more pressure because people are heading to old gen because there is no new gen

You said it yourself

For example, TSMC, the supplier of AMD, used to supply AMD for cpu an gpu, and almost no one major. Now AMD is the more popular so more cpus are wanted, so more must be made to meet demand. And now amd supplies cpu and gpu for the new gen consoles, which are in huge demand. More pressure on TSMC. Now half the production because of the existing pandemic, which also affected pre-launch stock. Intel doesn't have much shortages because they still didn't release, when they willbe under less pressure too, because they don't supply new gen consoles. Please research before acting like you know stuff

On 1/11/2021 at 3:59 AM, The_russian said:

How would AMD or Nvidia benefit from artificially lowering supply?

Look, companies spend millions on marketing and advertising, right?  *This* is better and weirdly befitting the "leak culture" clientele, creating mindshare and "just getting it out first" (even if your second like AMD lol, the psychological effect is the same) 

Also they didn't artificial lower anything, they just released prematurely (at highly unrealistic and alledgely illegal MSRP btw, a big part of this operation, looks good in reviews and people gonna pay double is a nice bonus) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

23 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Look, companies spend millions on marketing and advertising, right? 

Well not exactly  and that is the biggest issue that lead to our current state (at least imho) they now just have youtubers to do their job for them for "free" (compared to the budget they used to spent in the past) by just promising them samples and "leaks" if they behave well and parrot their marketing language. 

And because of that these youtubers shape the minds of casuals (which are the vast majority of their clientele ) and they make of a clean slate no matter what BS they do!

23 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Also they didn't artificial lower anything, they just released prematurely

I gave arguments as to why it seems that something is intentionally on the play here why are you so certain that it isnt? 

There is no "premature" release in Graphics cards you dont just make e.g 100 GPUs... TSMC has better things to do than to bother their entire assemply line to make you just a few graphics cards furthermore even if it would like to bother the cost would be tremendous (due to production of scale not affecting cost in positive sense since there isnt a "scale" since they made just a few) also they are not idiots they are doing the same thing for about 30 years now and have entire divisions for sales projections and distribution  and you are so convinced that all these professionals did an "upsy daisy" ? 

and on top of that BOTH AMD AND NVIDIA? I mean ok maybe one company did an "upsy daisy" because they are idiots... but BOTH? on the same time

Is it so natural/convincing for you to believe that all the people working for BOTH companies are  that big of a noob? or maybe is there something else at play? 

I personally find it hard to believe that BOTH divisions of BOTH companies with so many years of experience did the SAME mistake on the SAME time... 

There is also no indication point to "premature" release nvidia had 2 years since the last gen release for example which is more than enough judging from the previous years (not to forget that they sandbag because they used to release new gen gpus every single year just as AMD does) 

4 hours ago, papajo said:

Well not exactly  and that is the biggest issue that lead to our current state (at least imho) they now just have youtubers to do their job for them for "free" (compared to the budget they used to spent in the past) by just promising them samples and "leaks" if they behave well and parrot their marketing language. 

And because of that these youtubers shape the minds of casuals (which are the vast majority of their clientele ) and they make of a clean slate no matter what BS they do!

I gave arguments as to why it seems that something is intentionally on the play here why are you so certain that it isnt? 

There is no "premature" release in Graphics cards you dont just make e.g 100 GPUs... TSMC has better things to do than to bother their entire assemply line to make you just a few graphics cards furthermore even if it would like to bother the cost would be tremendous (due to production of scale not affecting cost in positive sense since there isnt a "scale" since they made just a few) also they are not idiots they are doing the same thing for about 30 years now and have entire divisions for sales projections and distribution  and you are so convinced that all these professionals did an "upsy daisy" ? 

and on top of that BOTH AMD AND NVIDIA? I mean ok maybe one company did an "upsy daisy" because they are idiots... but BOTH? on the same time

Is it so natural/convincing for you to believe that all the people working for BOTH companies are  that big of a noob? or maybe is there something else at play? 

I personally find it hard to believe that BOTH divisions of BOTH companies with so many years of experience did the SAME mistake on the SAME time... 

There is also no indication point to "premature" release nvidia had 2 years since the last gen release for example which is more than enough judging from the previous years (not to forget that they sandbag because they used to release new gen gpus every single year just as AMD does) 

I would, again, like to ask you this:
What. Graphics. Card. Is. Currently. In. Your. Main. PC,

You still have not answered and I would like to know.

Not everything in a topic has to be directly on topic, as the strawberry frappucino taught us back in August 2018.

elephants

demand increased due to covid (unexpected)

supply decreased due to covid (also unexpected)

4 hours ago, Sakuriru said:

It's a race to see if the pandemic will end before I get a graphics card.

At this point I am wondering if I will have to until June before I can upgrade my Graphics card much less do a system upgrade.