LMG Network setup

Ajaystar9

Hi I have noticed LMG does not have dedicated IT staff like net. admins/engineers. Do they have someone on staff who does these things  or do they outsource? 

Anthony does some of the network admin stuff: 

(timestamped at 4:27).

I think they do all network stuff in-house at the moment. They used to have someone advise them, but he has since stepped out of the network consultancy business.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

There are enough people at LMG who know how to do that... and certainly not enough of it to do to have someone dedicated to it every day.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Jake, Anthony and Linus are the main antagonists for LMG network stuff. Welcome side-effect of being a "famous you-tuber" is that Linus knows people that know things he doesn't ;)  Cue Wendell (L1T) and Patrick (STH).

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

11 hours ago, Kilrah said:

There are enough people at LMG who know how to do that... and certainly not enough of it to do to have someone dedicated to it every day.

I have only seen a little bit of stuff from LTT regarding their server and networking setups, and let me tell you LMG does not appear to have any knowledge about this kind of stuff.

Remember that server crash they had before? 100% Linus' fault because he is incompetent.

The UPS incident? From what I've seen, also Linus' fault (second hand batteries and improper installation).

I wouldn't be surprised if the pfsense box he botched together runs terribly and barely does more than a dumb switch does as well.

Linus is the epitome of "cowboy IT".

No proper processes or structure.

Enough experience to get an inflated ego and "I can do this!" but not enough to do anything properly.

Shooting from the hip.

Trying to cut corners where he really shouldn't.

What I think LTT should make clear to their viewers is that they are not an IT company. They are a media company. Their knowledge and focus is on making entertaining videos and ads. That's where their expertise is. Not IT or consumer electronics.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

I have only seen a little bit of stuff from LTT regarding their server and networking setups, and let me tell you LMG does not appear to have any knowledge about this kind of stuff.

Remember that server crash they had before? 100% Linus' fault because he is incompetent.

The UPS incident? From what I've seen, also Linus' fault (second hand batteries and improper installation).

I wouldn't be surprised if the pfsense box he botched together runs terribly and barely does more than a dumb switch does as well.

Linus is the epitome of "cowbow IT".

No proper processes or structure.

Enough experience to get an inflated ego and "I can do this!" but not enough to do anything properly.

Shooting from the hip.

Trying to cut corners where he really shouldn't.

What I think LTT should make clear to their viewers is that they are not an IT company. They are a media company. Their knowledge and focus is on making entertaining videos and ads. That's where their expertise is. Not IT or consumer electronics.

As a sysadmin, the video series where they redid their server room (well, closet) gave me a nightmare. 

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

If he was, he wouldn't be leading a multimillion company not even a decade after founding it 🙄 So, your assessment is, well, wrong.

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I've yet to see a single video in which LMG staff claim to be an IT company or anything other then a media company. And I'm afraid you've also missed the multiple admissions by Linus that he does things the way he does for entertainment value. He screws up deliberately to show what you shouldn't do, pushing tech well beyond what it's supposed to do or abusing it in other ways, because he knows he gets views, and thus income, from that video. His on-screen clumsy behaviour is, for the most part, pure show.

1 hour ago, charlie_root said:

As a sysadmin, the video series where they redid their server room (well, closet) gave me a nightmare.

True, it's not ideal, but given the circumstances probably the best they can get, w/o spending $$$$$$ on consultants, IT staff and what else. Yes LMG has a large revenue stream, but they also have considerable costs. For starters, leasing 5 units, almost 40 staff to pay and then all the expenditure for making the videos.

For the record, I'm not an LMG fanboi, not by a long shot. And no, I do NOT consider Linus to be some sort of tech messiah. But he does deserve a bit more respect for his achievements building LMG from the ground up in that short amount of time, w/o external funding.

21 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

If he was, he wouldn't be leading a multimillion company not even a decade after founding it 🙄 So, your assessment is, well, wrong.

I've yet to see a single video in which LMG staff claim to be an IT company or anything other then a media company. And I'm afraid you've also missed the multiple admissions by Linus that he does things the way he does for entertainment value. He screws up deliberately to show what you shouldn't do, pushing tech well beyond what it's supposed to do or abusing it in other ways, because he knows he gets views, and thus income, from that video. His on-screen clumsy behaviour is, for the most part, pure show.

True, it's not ideal, but given the circumstances probably the best they can get, w/o spending $$$$$$ on consultants, IT staff and what else. Yes LMG has a large revenue stream, but they also have considerable costs. For starters, leasing 5 units, almost 40 staff to pay and then all the expenditure for making the videos.

For the record, I'm not an LMG fanboi, not by a long shot. And no, I do NOT consider Linus to be some sort of tech messiah. But he does deserve a bit more respect for his achievements building LMG from the ground up in that short amount of time, w/o external funding.

Yeah I'm not knocking them for not going all out on top of the line servers or anything; it's that cable management and critical business equipment plugged into dollar store surge protectors that keeps me up at night (yes, I'm aware the whole point of the videos was to fix stuff like that)

3 hours ago, Dutch_Master said:

Being a competent business man doesn't mean that you are a competent sys/adin. 

1 hour ago, Blue4130 said:

Being a competent business man doesn't mean that you are a competent sys/adin. 

Agreed, but it was the generic nature of the remark that triggered my response.

6 hours ago, Dutch_Master said:

My boss doesn't know anything about IT either, yet he runs a very successful IT company.

Just because you can successfully run a media company as a presenter and boss does not mean you know how to properly configure and do maintenance on enterprise IT infrastructure.

6 hours ago, Dutch_Master said:

Ah yes, he "screws up deliberately". That's why he has lost several days worth of time when his infrastructure breaks and you can see the panic in his eyes and desperation in his voice to get things working again. The fire in their server room was probably just for fun as well, right?

It must be good to be able to hide behind "I was only pretending to be stupid" whenever you fuck up.

Linus has used external contractor for networking setups in past. I'm not quite sure, but the guy might work for Ubiquiti (sponsor for some of the videos).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv