For Canadians, what VPN do you use and why?

Joseph K

I have decided, probably after way too many years, that I should be using a VPN. I just need something basic for browsing the web, Youtube, Steam etc. don't really care about Netflix too much. What VPN do you guys use in Canada? What VPNs should I avoid?

protonvpn. it's completely free for basic use. It's a strong recommendation. I use it whenever I feel the need to, well use a vpn. It's actually the best for privacy so that's why I like it so much. outside of that, from what I can tell PIA is good. I wouldn't recommend others, unless you make your own

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

12 minutes ago, piratemonkey said:

protonvpn. it's completely free for basic use. It's a strong recommendation. I use it whenever I feel the need to, well use a vpn. It's actually the best for privacy so that's why I like it so much. outside of that, from what I can tell PIA is good. I wouldn't recommend others, unless you make your own

Proton VPN looks good and really cheap. I would like to have BitTorrent privacy as well which the free version doesn't offer. I try to avoid Torrents as often as possible because of all the malicious actors hiding in the pool ready to take a picture of you with your swimsuit down, but there's every so often something I can't get anywhere else because it wasn't released in Canada, especially Biritish and Japanese content.

Now I'm wondering whether I should go by the month or just pay for 2 years up front to save the money. I've heard bad things from companies like Tunnelbear that offer really good deals and then turn around and change their privacy policy as soon as they lock people into their system, so I'm kinda apprehensive, but also a massive moneygrubber so I like a good 33% off.

Just now, Joseph K said:

Now I'm wondering whether I should go by the month or just pay for 2 years up front to save the money. I've heard bad things from companies like Tunnelbear that offer really good deals and then turn around and change their privacy policy as soon as they lock people into their system, so I'm kinda apprehensive, but also a massive moneygrubber so I like a good 33% off.

I wouldn't be concerned about Proton doing dumb crap. They're barely for profit as it is

3 minutes ago, Joseph K said:

Proton VPN looks good and really cheap. I would like to have BitTorrent privacy as well which the free version doesn't offer. I try to avoid Torrents as often as possible because of all the malicious actors hiding in the pool ready to take a picture of you with your swimsuit down, but there's every so often something I can't get anywhere else because it wasn't released in Canada, especially Biritish and Japanese content.

I think the american and netherland servers allow you to torrent  (they're free)

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

-> Moved to Programs, Apps and Websites

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

ExpressVPN. 

I've tried several others on trials or free versions before making a purchasing choice, and they all paled in comparison to ExpressVPN all around. Mainly, ExpressVPN is one of the only true no logs, no Netflix issues, and fast. Compared to PIA or NordVPN (as the other two main competitors IMO), they also have no public scandals or legal issues as of yet.

As far as I know, ExpressVPN also has support for more devices compared to any other service.