Thief Mantle First Benchmarks

qwertywarrior

ooh i cant wait, i can almost ramp my current rig up to max

this should allow to put AA on and enjoy a nice smooth framerate, roll on going home from work

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

no one will care about mantle after dx12

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
I've learned that something constructive comes from every defeat.

Nice to see Mantle benchmarks with lower end CPUs like the fx-4170 rather than pointless 3960x R9 290x benchmarks which seem pointless to me its like the reviewer is using the highest end hardware just because they can which doesn't really demonstrate the point of mantle... IMO

Nice to see Mantle benchmarks with lower end CPUs like the fx-4170 rather than pointless 3960x R9 290x benchmarks which seem pointless to me its like the reviewer is using the highest end hardware just because they can which doesn't really demonstrate the point of mantle... IMO

Those are more like the benchmarker has a system designed to eliminate any kind of CPU bottleneck (by using an overclocked extreme edition) to get comparative results. Doesn't make them any more useful, but I'm sure that's their rationale for using that CPU.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Those are more like the benchmarker has a system designed to eliminate any kind of CPU bottleneck (by using an overclocked extreme edition) to get comparative results. Doesn't make them any more useful, but I'm sure that's their rationale for using that CPU.

Which is great for benchmarking GPUs where we don't want the CPU as a factor.  But its not helpful for demonstrating the impact of mantle in reducing the reliance on CPU performance in gaming which is the whole point of it.

Hmmm, not bad, could be better.

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

Yet you can't say no one cares about having low level access... since mantle.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Except that without Mantle, we wouldn't be getting DX12.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

That's true, but that doesn't change the fact that he is right.

RTX2070OC 

That's true, but that doesn't change the fact that he is right.

Someone's got to push this tech. Who knows, maybe DirectX12 will be a big, steaming pile of poo (much like the current DirectX is). If so, Mantle will continue to be adopted.

I think the mindset of many developers is to make the game as playable as possible (or I would hope so, at least). If Mantle is relatively easy to implement, then they'll do it, especially if it becomes more open like AMD hopes.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Can anyone tell me why everyone of these mantle tests are so useless?

The point of mantle is to lower the overhead.. bla, bla, bla... Which comes down to tha fact that you can now have a beefier GPU without the CPU bottlenecking. 

So... Does any reasonable person run a 4770 with a freakin' R7 250X? I wanna see what mantle is capable of not being shown how utterly useless it is for patheticly stupid hardware choices.

Pair a 7850k with an R9 290 (mantle/Dx11) and then compare that to a 4770 + R9 290 (mantle/Dx11).

First post, be gentle, smooch!

Yea but it doesn't matter when the game isn't really any good or isn't as good as it's predecessor. If we had mantle support on a game like Planetside 2 where the investment would pay off then that would be good. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Yea but it doesn't matter when the game isn't really any good or isn't as good as it's predecessor. If we had mantle support on a game like Planetside 2 where the investment would pay off then that would be good. 

Yep, yet to see any real CPU bottlenecking apparent game use Mantle.

Starswarm is CPU limited, but not out yet...

RTS's and such CPU heavy genre's should have been released with Mantle first.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Yep, yet to see any real CPU bottlenecking apparent game use Mantle.

Starswarm is CPU limited, but not out yet...

RTS's and such CPU heavy genre's should have been released with Mantle first.

Well yes and no. I would have liked to see Mantle have been released with a Crysis type game that really pushed GPU's and CPU's. Mantle would have been a success if it was released with a game that would sell well if it had it or not.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Can anyone tell me why everyone of these mantle tests are so useless?

The point of mantle is to lower the overhead.. bla, bla, bla... Which comes down to tha fact that you can now have a beefier GPU without the CPU bottlenecking. 

So... Does any reasonable person run a 4770 with a freakin' R7 250X? I wanna see what mantle is capable of not being shown how utterly useless it is for patheticly stupid hardware choices.

Pair a 7850k with an R9 290 (mantle/Dx11) and then compare that to a 4770 + R9 290 (mantle/Dx11).

First post, be gentle, smooch!

HEY!!! That's the exact specs of my next build!! 

Very solid results on the 8350 bringing it to parity with the significantly more expensive 4770K is no easy feet.

And on an R9 270 none the less, a mid range GPU which means that with a more powerful GPU you'd see an even bigger jump since the CPU bottleneck would be more severe.
Really happy with these results, would like to see higher end GPUs though.

dx12 was already been on the works obviously

all mantle did is "push" it

nothing else

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
I've learned that something constructive comes from every defeat.