Best way to connect to Ethernet

Kevind4xD

I don't have coax, or a router near my room so whats the best way to connect to Ethernet 

Powerline adapters are the clean way to do it. Wifi wouldn't be that bad of an option, considering that modern wifi is actually fairly good. Finally, you could always try running 100ft of Ethernet through your home an hope you don't piss anyone off, as that would probably be the best way to do it (just the ugliest way).

I tried power line once didn't work at all slower than Wi-Fi

If your issue is that the WiFi signal is weak, or you simply need some ethernet-only devices connected, you can get a cheap used AP that is supported by DD-WRT and use the AP Client Bridge mode. You can place the bridged AP in a more advantageous spot (in a hallway, by the stairs, whatever) for the WiFi signal, and run ethernet cables a much shorter distance. I did this when I was in middle/high school and my dad had the AP in his cave of an office in the most remote part of the house from my room. 

11 hours ago, thermalgoop said:

If your issue is that the WiFi signal is weak, or you simply need some ethernet-only devices connected, you can get a cheap used AP that is supported by DD-WRT and use the AP Client Bridge mode. You can place the bridged AP in a more advantageous spot (in a hallway, by the stairs, whatever) for the WiFi signal, and run ethernet cables a much shorter distance. I did this when I was in middle/high school and my dad had the AP in his cave of an office in the most remote part of the house from my room. 

To answer the first question my internet signal is not weak but it has a ton of latency. Does the access point method decrease speed 

6 hours ago, Kevind4xD said:

To answer the first question my internet signal is not weak but it has a ton of latency. Does the access point method decrease speed 

Yes. The more access points you have, the slower the speeds.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

20 hours ago, Kevind4xD said:

I don't have coax, or a router near my room so whats the best way to connect to Ethernet 

The best way is to run an Ethernet cable. The next best thing is Moca (But you have no coax), there third option is a toss up between power line adapters and just using WiFI. 

8 hours ago, Kevind4xD said:

but it has a ton of latency.

Nothing can be done. WiFi has higher latency. If you want a better connection run some Ethernet cable. Outside of that your not going to be able to fix the issue. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, Sir Asvald said:

Yes. The more access points you have, the slower the speeds.

Thanks for clarifying that

46 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

The best way is to run an Ethernet cable. The next best thing is Moca (But you have no coax), there third option is a toss up between power line adapters and just using WiFI. 

Nothing can be done. WiFi has higher latency. If you want a better connection run some Ethernet cable. Outside of that your not going to be able to fix the issue. 

Thanks for responding, and what type of cable should I get

9 minutes ago, Kevind4xD said:

Thanks for responding, and what type of cable should I get

Cat5e or Cat6 would be enough. Stay away from copper clad aluminum as its generally a lower quality. Outside of that the cable cant exceed 100m or 328feet. 

34 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Cat5e or Cat6 would be enough. Stay away from copper clad aluminum as its generally a lower quality. Outside of that the cable cant exceed 100m or 328feet. 

Do longer cables have slower speeds

Just now, Kevind4xD said:

Do longer cables have slower speeds

For Cat5e you can get up to 2.5Gbps up to 100m. For Cat6 You get up to 5Gbps up to 100m. After 100m signal attenuation sets in and you have issue. So the official standards only allow cable length up to 100m. I will add this, cat6 can do 10Gbps under short distances, I think 33m, but I could be wrong. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

For Cat5e you can get up to 2.5Gbps up to 100m. For Cat6 You get up to 5Gbps up to 100m. After 100m signal attenuation sets in and you have issue. So the official standards only allow cable length up to 100m. I will add this, cat6 can do 10Gbps under short distances, I think 33m, but I could be wrong. 

Thanks, and what should I get RJ45 or RJ46

6 minutes ago, Kevind4xD said:

hould I get RJ45 or RJ46

RJ45 is what Ethernet uses. Didnt know RJ46 existed until I looked it up just now. 

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

RJ45 is what Ethernet uses. Didnt know RJ46 existed until I looked it up just now. 

Thanks a lot