Jony Ive: Competitors steal Apple's work

Ohh Ive...

People who live in glass houses... Shouldn't throw things clearly ripped off (design wise) from Braun. Should we call Dieter Rams and ask what they think of people using their designs?

Actually, let's skip asking him and let's ask Steve Jobs what he thinks of stealing ideas.

"Good artists copy, great artists steal. We have always been shameless about stealing great ideas"

-Steve Jobs

So it's only alright to steal designs as long as you are not the victim Apple? Sounds a bit hypocritical if you ask me.

A lot of Apple's early designers came from Braun, so you can't really use that one.

My HTC desire from 2010, aluminium shell, still very responsive even by todays standards and looks a treat.  Only issue I've ever had is it battery life, however every other feature is IMO premium. I still use it today.

I had one too, a good phone for it's time.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Well not exactly, if you did a bit research on them, you'll find that they started designing a ipad and iPhone way back in 2000. But since the technology of compactness wasn't there during that time, they pushed these products down the pipeline. Samsung on the other hand started developing the Gear the moment they heard Apple was working on iWatch and that's why they suck. Let Apple release the iWatch and you'll see Samsung copying some of their elements and making it better by opening it up to developers. And then the whole story of smartphones will just repeat but instead its about wearables this time

If you check Apple's patents too there are some amazing ideas in store

I think the thing is, when it comes to Apple and their competitors, the word 'stolen' is used far too liberally. Sure, you can see where the design of the Galaxy S and the Galaxy Tab 10.1 came from, but it was Samsung trying to improve on Apple's design. Apple 'improves' it's fair share from Android, such as drop down notifications and quick access to settings via a swipe menu. The iPad Mini was a 'stolen' concept from the Galaxy Tab 7.0, Nexus 7 & Kindle etc. 

In every market, companies take competitors products and improve them in some way, it's so naive of Apple to complain about 'stealing' when this is the way the market works. Being innovative with the first iPhone gave them a 3 year or so head start on the competition, which has only overtaken them in the last year and a bit or so. 

Apple took the smartphone, and improved it. Samsung took the iPhone, and improved it so much it's now Apple who takes Android features. 

I think the thing is, when it comes to Apple and their competitors, the word 'stolen' is used far too liberally. 

Apple has invited that criticism and made itself a target by their irresponsible and aggressive litigation. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

Apple has invited that criticism and made itself a target by their irresponsible and aggressive litigation.

Couldn't agree more, they should practice what they preach. I don't think there's anything wrong with borrowing from competitors, everyone does it at some point.

kewl

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I think the thing is, when it comes to Apple and their competitors, the word 'stolen' is used far too liberally. Sure, you can see where the design of the Galaxy S and the Galaxy Tab 10.1 came from, but it was Samsung trying to improve on Apple's design. Apple 'improves' it's fair share from Android, such as drop down notifications and quick access to settings via a swipe menu. The iPad Mini was a 'stolen' concept from the Galaxy Tab 7.0, Nexus 7 & Kindle etc. 

In every market, companies take competitors products and improve them in some way, it's so naive of Apple to complain about 'stealing' when this is the way the market works. Being innovative with the first iPhone gave them a 3 year or so head start on the competition, which has only overtaken them in the last year and a bit or so. 

Apple took the smartphone, and improved it. Samsung took the iPhone, and improved it so much it's now Apple who takes Android features. 

I don't know if you realise this but the people are the reason why there is a notifications bar, quick access and iPad mini. Every reviewer used to criticize Apple for the lack of these features. They were forced to copy the popular concepts, instead of taking time and creating another approach to make things easier. Personally I never felt the lack of a control center, since all you had to do was click on settings and turn of wifi or bluetooth with a simple switch. 

And iPad mini was one of the first 8 inch tab. Now its pretty evident everywhere that an 8" tab is better than samsung's 7" concept and now they started making 8" tabs

And iPad mini was one of the first 8 inch tab. Now its pretty evident everywhere that an 8" tab is better than samsung's 7" concept and now they started making 8" tabs

That's really splitting hairs, the point is they have a big tablet, then they brought out a small tablet because they wanted to compete with budget 7" Android tabs (that's like saying the Galaxy S wasn't a rip off because it had a 4in screen vs 3.5). They improved on other smaller tablets with their own design, they borrowed from ASUS/Google and Amazon. In their own words they 'stole' the idea of a smaller tablet. Samsung steals, apple steals. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones