Gaming PC not giving me full gigabit speed please send help

Go to solution Solved by Legodude50,
15 minutes ago, mariushm said:

On the Asus website, on your motherboard model, in the Downloads section:  https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z490-e-gaming-model/helpdesk_download/

Also, as it's Intel product, go to intel.com and download their Intel® Driver & Support Assistant : https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html

It may find firmware for your network card, or drivers more recent than what's on the Asus website. 

The tool on the page actually works, tested it myself, and you can uninstall it when you're done. 

There's also separate drivers page for the network card on Intel's site  https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/network-io/ethernet/controllers/gigabit-ethernet-controllers/i225-v.html?wapkw=i225-v

but note it's a 600 MB bundle which contains ALL the drivers for probably almost ALL their network cards, and the installer is supposed to install only your network card drivers. 

This package is released in 18th of december. Asus has a driver that's dated 17th of December. 

Also note the Asus driver says your firmware must be updated to version 1.45 - the update tool is probably in the download file... but probably the intel driver and support assistance can also update the firmware for you.

I’ll try directly from intel I think that would be best. Thank you very much for the links and here’s hoping that this solves my problem!

To whomever is reading this, thank you. I built a new gaming pc with an ASUS ROG Z490-E gaming motherboard, i7-10700k. My understanding is that the gigabit adapter supports up to 2.5 gigabit ethernet speeds. well im only getting around 350 speeds. At first I thought it must be my ISP. After several hours of talking to them, nothing. I didnt have any other device to test with a gigabit port until now, I just finished rebuilding my wifes pc and her pc gets the full gig speed. So now im pulling my hair wondering why this very expensive pc isnt giving me what its supposed to. I tried manually setting it to full duplex gigabit mode, and nothing. its the same exact ethernet cable that worked on my wifes pc so I know it isnt the cable. Im really hoping someone can help me solve this issue because it has truly been frustrating to say the least. I will try to respond to any comments as soon as I can. Thank you for any future help or attempted help.

With slow ethernet my first usual suspect is the ethernet cable itself.  Ethernet has been around a long time, and it used to be a lot slower than it is, but the connector never changed.  An old or damaged cable can automatically pop ethernet down to a previous version.  It doesn’t take much to mess up ethernet.  A sharp bend, a messead up crimp, proximity to a 110v ax cable, all kinds of stuff.  The cable that goes to the wall connection you can at least do something about easily though.  Fixing the other stuff is not so simple.  Sometimes it’s actually faster and easier to go wifi

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

The network card may support up to 2.5 gbps ethernet , but that's just the connection speed it can negotiate with other devices (another computer, or the router that the ISP gives you).

If the device at the other end doesn't support that standard (2.5 gbps ethernet), then your network card will fall down to whatever is supported, which is 1 gbps ethernet, which limits your download and upload speed to approx. 125 MB/s . 

In your case, the router or modem you receives from your ISP probably only "speaks" 1 gbps ethernet, as it was made before 2.5gbps ethernet was invented or standardized. So your network card tells them modem/router "Hey dude, I can talk to you in this language that's much faster, it's called 2.5 gbps" but the modem/router says "Nah dude, don't know that language and I can't learn it, let's stick to 1 gbps that's all I know" 

Same for WiFi 6 on your motherboard - if you want WiFi 6 speeds, your router/modem/access point must also "speak" WiFi 6, otherwise it will work as the lower speed WiFi 5 speeds. 

edit: read your comment again... so it seems you say you only get around 350 mbps instead of close to 1 gbps as you should. 

Well, I'd first make sure you installed the network card drivers instead of leaving the default ones. 

Then I'd disable any antiviruses or software firewalls - some antiviruses have built in internet traffic filters and firewalls which can slow down the network 

If all else fails, I'd go in the network card settings (device manager, properties on the network card, advanced tab) and manually force it to stay on 1 gbps full duplex. 

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

36 minutes ago, mariushm said:

The network card may support up to 2.5 gbps ethernet , but that's just the connection speed it can negotiate with other devices (another computer, or the router that the ISP gives you).

If the device at the other end doesn't support that standard (2.5 gbps ethernet), then your network card will fall down to whatever is supported, which is 1 gbps ethernet, which limits your download and upload speed to approx. 125 MB/s . 

In your case, the router or modem you receives from your ISP probably only "speaks" 1 gbps ethernet, as it was made before 2.5gbps ethernet was invented or standardized. So your network card tells them modem/router "Hey dude, I can talk to you in this language that's much faster, it's called 2.5 gbps" but the modem/router says "Nah dude, don't know that language and I can't learn it, let's stick to 1 gbps that's all I know" 

Same for WiFi 6 on your motherboard - if you want WiFi 6 speeds, your router/modem/access point must also "speak" WiFi 6, otherwise it will work as the lower speed WiFi 5 speeds. 

edit: read your comment again... so it seems you say you only get around 350 mbps instead of close to 1 gbps as you should. 

Well, I'd first make sure you installed the network card drivers instead of leaving the default ones. 

Then I'd disable any antiviruses or software firewalls - some antiviruses have built in internet traffic filters and firewalls which can slow down the network 

If all else fails, I'd go in the network card settings (device manager, properties on the network card, advanced tab) and manually force it to stay on 1 gbps full duplex. 

Where can I find internet card drivers? Also is there any possibility that my MOBO is defective? 

39 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

With slow ethernet my first usual suspect is the ethernet cable itself.  Ethernet has been around a long time, and it used to be a lot slower than it is, but the connector never changed.  An old or damaged cable can automatically pop ethernet down to a previous version.  It doesn’t take much to mess up ethernet.  A sharp bend, a messead up crimp, proximity to a 110v ax cable, all kinds of stuff.  The cable that goes to the wall connection you can at least do something about easily though.  Fixing the other stuff is not so simple.  Sometimes it’s actually faster and easier to go wifi

I don’t have WiFi in my area of the house neither do I want it, I believe in wired connection. Especially for gaming, as I mentioned the cable in question is the exact same cable I used on a different pc that works. Computers are barley 5 feet away so I can safely rule out any interference 

12 minutes ago, Legodude50 said:

Where can I find internet card drivers? Also is there any possibility that my MOBO is defective? 

On the Asus website, on your motherboard model, in the Downloads section:  https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z490-e-gaming-model/helpdesk_download/

Also, as it's Intel product, go to intel.com and download their Intel® Driver & Support Assistant : https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html

It may find firmware for your network card, or drivers more recent than what's on the Asus website. 

The tool on the page actually works, tested it myself, and you can uninstall it when you're done. 

There's also separate drivers page for the network card on Intel's site  https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/network-io/ethernet/controllers/gigabit-ethernet-controllers/i225-v.html?wapkw=i225-v

but note it's a 600 MB bundle which contains ALL the drivers for probably almost ALL their network cards, and the installer is supposed to install only your network card drivers. 

This package is released in 18th of december. Asus has a driver that's dated 17th of December. 

Also note the Asus driver says your firmware must be updated to version 1.45 - the update tool is probably in the download file... but probably the intel driver and support assistance can also update the firmware for you.

15 minutes ago, mariushm said:

I’ll try directly from intel I think that would be best. Thank you very much for the links and here’s hoping that this solves my problem!

9 hours ago, Legodude50 said:

I don’t have WiFi in my area of the house neither do I want it, I believe in wired connection. Especially for gaming, as I mentioned the cable in question is the exact same cable I used on a different pc that works. Computers are barley 5 feet away so I can safely rule out any interference 

OK so the cable is probably fine.  Or at least fine enough.  Even if it can’t do 2.5gb it should still do 1gb.  So it’s the machine.  I like to rule out software before expensive hardware myself.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Thank GOD, The intel update assistant didnt help, but when I went through asus and installed through there, boom. getting proper ping and proper speeds now very happy to report 

20 minutes ago, Legodude50 said:

Thank GOD, The intel update assistant didnt help, but when I went through asus and installed through there, boom. getting proper ping and proper speeds now very happy to report 

Yay!