Cockpit view and driving games

Humbug

So i'm 28 years old. Which makes me way older than most gamers on this forum. I've been playing on PC the whole time. I believe I started gaming around 1991 or 1992 when I was 6 or 7 years old. It was a 286 or 386 computer which my uncle gave my family. I used MS-DOS and the command prompt to launch programs.

My first racing game was played on that- Grand Prix Circuit. (don't laugh)

Grand_Prix_Circuit_PC.png

Around the same time I also got to play Test Drive 1 at school.

Test%20Drive%20-%20Triple%20Pack_6.png

During the 2nd half of the 1990s my driving experiences were dominated by Need For Speed.

Need for Speed Hot 2 SE. The most ridiculously arcadey game you will ever play. But didn't pretend to be realistic.

Need-For-Speed-2.jpg

And need for Speed III- Hot Pursuit (1998). Was such a step forward from everything I had played upto that point. At this point the EA logo was like a badge of honour.

jnxnueplougduh5ln1pn.jpg

----------

Anyway as is clearly evident I was not a serious racer but rather played them for fun and mostly arcade kind games rather than simulation. I also played some other Test Drive, Destruction Derby and Grand Turismo games during this period. In the late 90s Grand Turismo grew more popular than NFS.

Despite the fact that these are not simulations it was always important to me that I felt like I was at the wheel of an exotic super-car. And the above games delivered that for me. These days there is an increasing trend to omit the cockpit view, devs think it's not important in a non-sim game. I do realize that a bumper cam or fullscreen view of the road may give you more information about your surroundings, but I don't play these games in order to get on some leaderboard. I play them for escapism, and I want to feel like I am at the wheel. I know most probably don't feel this way but I think that enough of us do that devs should at least give the option.

Share your thoughts on cockpit view in driving games...

I think Cockpit view is the only way to get a real experience.

Running multiple monitors with them only makes it that much more real.

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

I wish there were more of them. 

Really excited for PROJECT Cars.

My problem with cockpit cam is that you can't see the car :)

But i still prefer it over any other cam, it's just feels better.

I was kinda ranty about the F1 2013; that I tried because of Steam's free weekend, didn't have cockpit cam as the default option, wtf. That game is pretty sim-like so it feels even more important.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

cockpit driving is a nuisance because it obscures the view

the pics you provided have a more open view which is much better than newer games

granturismo5_8lwpun.png

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

NFS 3 HP was epic! I would allways race against my brother. :D

NFS Underground 2 and the first Most Wanted were pretty exciting too. But i only played NFS 3 from cockpit perspective from time to time. :D

who cares...

Yep, devs need to limit the amount of screen real estate taken up by the dash.

When driving in real life a lot is taken up by the dash but it's mostly in our periphery vision. The central area of our vision where things are in focus is all road.

NFS 3 HP was epic! I would allways race against my brother. :D

Split screen awesomeness, played it at a friends house like that. The cop chases really got the heart pounding.

I have no idea why they are now releasing games with the same name. As if the actual NFS:hot pursuit in the 90s or the actual NFS:most wanted in 2005 never happened.

Split screen awesomeness, played it at a friends house like that. The cop chases really got the heart pounding.

I have no idea why they are now releasing games with the same name. As if the actual NFS:hot pursuit in the 90s or the actual NFS:most wanted in 2005 never happened.

It's so sad that split screen is mostly gone from PCs. Dem police chases were epic! Aw the memories. :D

who cares...

Cockpit view is the only way to go. I like you grew up playing a lot of the same games (although you seem more into them), but I feel the best arcade simulator's are now on the consoles. I had a Xbox 360 and loved playing Forza 2-4 on it. Since it red ringed I have no racing games and right now I can't afford to invest in a PC sim. I can't say I noticed either Grand Tourismo or Forza dropping quality in their cockpit views. As for NFS? Well that franchise died a long time ago to me. I suppose I am not into 100% arcade racers where you don't need to use the brake.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

When driving in real life a lot is taken up by the dash but it's mostly in our periphery vision. The central area of our vision where things are in focus is all road.

cockpit driving in VR will be amazing

there are few great car games out now with VR support

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

SNIP OF OP

Thank you OP for these, the first two were also my first racing games :D :D . 

I also played NFS II and III, good times.

But i never really liked the cockpit view, I prefer to play from 3rd person view. I like to see the beatufully crafted 3D models of what I'm driving :)

BTW, this might make you nostalgic: 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

I disagree that it is a nuisance and a lot of racing cars do have limited vision. The thing is you can't judge a racing line properly from a rear projection view. I am probably coming at this from a purely racing perspective though so the casual gamer probably doesn't care about racing lines.  

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

I can't stand cockpit view lol, I just drive GTA-style. Having the car in front of me

BTW, this might make you nostalgic: 

LOL, ya that silly tune will forever be stuck in my memory. I even remember the exact path on C drive where it was stored and how I had to navigate to it on my old PC. Remember only 3 cars; Ferrari, Mclaren and Williams. Mclaren was the fastest.

@Humbug, Great read. I'm also saddened by the disappearance of cockpit in games lately but since I play more of sim games it hasn't effected me much.

Cockpit and Hood view are the only ways I can play a racing game. Cockpit is still best, but the hood view is still not bad.

My Rig:

Spoiler

Case: NZXT H210 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  Motherboard:  MSI B450 AM4 Motherboard  Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB Video Card: MSI RX480 Power Supply: Corsair TX 750w Storage: Samsung 840 120GB And a 500GB WD BLUE Monitor: Acer S231HLbid 23" and an old Dell Mouse: RAZER DeathAdder 3.5G Keyboard: Ducky DK9008G2 PRO MX Cherry Blue

Precisely why i want Forza and Gran turismo on pc they have excellent cockpit views i know they are sims but if you reduce difficulty they kind of feel arcadey especially Forza Horizon and i tried Asseto corsa was not impressed *sigh* guess i'll have to invest in an Xbox one for Forza 

I haven't really used cockpit view. Usually it has been chasecam. After I got wheel&pedals I started using hoodcam. I feel like when I have wheel I don't need another in my view. Exceptions being NFS Shift where I wanted to learn to play for real and Grid2 where there isn't one anyway. I think only game where I used it was Stunts (1991).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

The problem I have always had is judging the racing line from within the cockpit view. Without being able to turn your head into the corner to look its kind of awkward to drive in cockpit view. I think its a perspective that will become more popular with the Occulus rift however, its a perfect example of where that technology will dramatically improve the feeling of being there.

depends on how much the view is obscured, sometimes I can't even see where im going so I just use bonnet view.  Probably the best view as it gives the most info.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

My problem with cockpit cam is that you can't see the car :)

But i still prefer it over any other cam, it's just feels better.

I was kinda ranty about the F1 2013; that I tried because of Steam's free weekend, didn't have cockpit cam as the default option, wtf. That game is pretty sim-like so it feels even more important.

Wait, so F1 2013 dont have the cockpit cam??? Or you need to do extra things to get them?

Gadgets: Lenovo Y580 (Nostromo, Naga Epic, Hydra, TrackIr5), Surface Pro 3 (i3), Lumia 930, PSVita

Rig: i7-4770K, 8GB Kingston HyperX, Asus Strix GTX970, MSI Z87-GD65, Asus Xonar DGX, CMStorm Scout II, CM Seidon 240M, BlackWidow Ultimate, Naga Epic, Goliathus Extended Control, TrackIr5, Sennheiser HD205, Audio-Technica ATR2500, Edifier speaker, Logitech G940, Logitech G27, Logitech F710, Dell S2340L, Philips 200VL, Samsung 830 128GB SSD, DXRacer FA01N

Wait, so F1 2013 dont have the cockpit cam??? Or you need to do extra things to get them?

It does have it, but I believe that it is the default option in the harder difficulties.

And the game is hard enough on normal for me at least.

But in a F1 car the view is rather clear compared to other vehicles. And in career mode you can save your settings as a custom setting.

But I just thought it should be default as it's so sim-like, and is better driving games imo.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum