How long do you think the 2060 is good be good for

NotSoHealthy

So i'm gonna try and get a 3060 at launch but if i'm not gonna be able to i'm just gonna get a 2060.

How long do you think the 2060 will be good for medium/good graphics at 1080p

there's people out there still running 970s from like 5 years ago! a 2060 will do fine for years. 

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

I think it will certainly be good enough for long enough that they are still worth buying now. If I had to guess, I'd say another 3 years, possibly more, but that might be completely wrong. Don't forget, people are still using 10-series cards, which are several years old at this point, and getting a decent experience.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

9 minutes ago, NotSoHealthy said:

So i'm gonna try and get a 3060 at launch but if i'm not gonna be able to i'm just gonna get a 2060.

Depends completely on what you play.

yeap, I agree, another 3 years or so at least, these cards are very strong in their rendering capabilities, that doesnt just vanish because there are new cards out. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2060 can barely run cyberpunk at 1080p.60fps.medium settings so imho it's kinda ofalready outdated.and weak. New consoles are running out with better hardware when we start to see true next gen games come out for these consoles it's gonna be all over.

Imho pretty bad timing to by a previous gen low end card right now.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

2060 can barely run cyberpunk at 1080p.60fps.medium settings so imho it's kinda already outdated.and weak.

Eveyone is saying 3years at least but im kinda thinking same as you but if im not gonna be able of getting tha 3060 im gonna have to buy to 2060

25 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

2060 can barely run cyberpunk at 1080p.60fps.medium settings so imho it's kinda ofalready outdated.and weak. New consoles are running out with better hardware when we start to see true next gen games come out for these consoles it's gonna be all over.

Imho pretty bad timing to by a previous gen low end card right now.

Though it's worth noting that Cyberpunk is a brand new game which is known for being pretty graphically intensive. 1080p60 is also certainly playable, though not great.

It all depends on what OP wants to do with their card. Obviously the absolute newest titles are going to be a lot harder to run than the stuff which came out several years ago.

However, outside of the absolute newest titles, I struggle to see a scenario where a 2060 won't be suitable for a year or two yet, probably longer.

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

1 hour ago, NotSoHealthy said:

I would absolutely *NOT* get a 2060 or 2060 super if you're looking for a new card!  Trying to find a RX 6700 would be a better deal than that.  Or just keep on the lookout for a 3070 or upcoming 3070 Ti.

For those who already have 2060s and want to upgrade, well you at least have something to game on while you wait.

How much vram does a 2060 have?  Is that a 2060 or a 2060 Super?

If it's 8 GB, it should be good for awhile as long as you lower the details.  The 2060 is a Pascal 1070 class card, if I remember correctly (provided the 1070 is TDP modded and overclocked), or also equal to a stock 1070 Ti.

It won't be able to get 120 fps at 1080p in the latest titles.  Even in an older title like Fortnite, it will struggle to maintain 100 FPS at epic settings.

43 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Though it's worth noting that Cyberpunk is a brand new game which is known for being pretty badly optimized especially for AMD CPUs 

FTFY ;)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

You're kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place if you can't get a 3060, because 2060 is significantly weaker than the console gpus so there is no way it's going to age well. At the same time it'll age a hell of a lot better than the 1660 Ti or below, or RX 5600XT or below, since it can use DLSS-2.0. Kind of wish I'd have spent the extra $70 on a 2060 instead of the 1660 Super I got a few months ago when I needed something right then to replace a dead 970, but I just wanted something kind of cheap right then knowing nothing short of 2080 from Turing was going to age well.

1 hour ago, Falkentyne said:

I would absolutely *NOT* get a 2060 or 2060 super if you're looking for a new card!  Trying to find a RX 6700 would be a better deal than that.  Or just keep on the lookout for a 3070 or upcoming 3070 Ti.

For those who already have 2060s and want to upgrade, well you at least have something to game on while you wait.

How much vram does a 2060 have?  Is that a 2060 or a 2060 Super?

If it's 8 GB, it should be good for awhile as long as you lower the details.  The 2060 is a Pascal 1070 class card, if I remember correctly (provided the 1070 is TDP modded and overclocked), or also equal to a stock 1070 Ti.

It won't be able to get 120 fps at 1080p in the latest titles.  Even in an older title like Fortnite, it will struggle to maintain 100 FPS at epic settings.

RTX 2060 is a 6GB card, performance is a hair above GTX 1080.

30 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

RTX 2060 is a 6GB card, performance is a hair above GTX 1080.

Um, no it's not.  You're mixing up the 2070 and 2060 here.   The 2060 is 1070 Ti level.  1080 beats it soundly.

2060 vs 1070 Ti (a TDP modded 1070 can reach this).

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2060-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1070-Ti/4034vs3943

2060 vs 1080.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2060-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1080/4034vs3603

1080 is faster on all fronts.  Not a lot faster but consistent.  This gap was a lot larger when the RTX drivers were raw.

5 minutes ago, Falkentyne said:

Um, no it's not.  You're mixing up the 2070 and 2060 here.   The 2060 is 1070 Ti level.  1080 beats it soundly.

2060 vs 1070 Ti (a TDP modded 1070 can reach this).

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2060-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1070-Ti/4034vs3943

2060 vs 1080.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2060-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1080/4034vs3603

1080 is faster on all fronts.  Not a lot faster but consistent.  This gap was a lot larger when the RTX drivers were raw.

I wouldn't trust userbenchmark. But I was remembering wrong, it was 1080 a hair above 2060 at launch, with 1070 Ti a hair below the 2060.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2060-founders-edition/33.html

relative-performance_2560-1440.png

15 hours ago, NotSoHealthy said:

It should last a good 3 years or more for sure. My gtx 970 came out in 2014 and its still going strong. 

2 hours ago, david cassar said:

It should last a good 3 years or more for sure. My gtx 970 came out in 2014 and its still going strong. 

970 was like the second or third best gpu on the market though back in 2014 whereas 2060 isn't even top 10 right now. I'm still sad my 970 died on me, that freaking card aged beautifully. I'd probably still be running it if I could have.

3 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

970 was like the second or third best gpu on the market though back in 2014 whereas 2060 isn't even top 10 right now. I'm still sad my 970 died on me, that freaking card aged beautifully. I'd probably still be running it if I could have.

It's a great card. Looking to upgrade it soon though since cyberpunk is just a bit too demanding for it.