Custom Resolution vs DSR Nvidia

sparkchomp

I am currently using a custom resolution of 3620 x 2036 for some games on a 1440p monitor, and to me the game looks better than it would on DSR. Are there any downsides to this. Nvidia also put a warning on doing this.

DSR is a weird hack in which NVIDIA take the image in the native resolution,makes it bigger,then sharpens and smooths it.

AMDs VSR is much better,as long as you don't use native resolutions (at native resolutions the image will be at lower resolution)

Custom resolutions are better than both,it should not harm your monitor (the warning is primarily for CRT monitors)

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

16 minutes ago, sparkchomp said:

I am currently using a custom resolution of 3620 x 2036 for some games on a 1440p monitor, and to me the game looks better than it would on DSR. Are there any downsides to this. Nvidia also put a warning on doing this.

Aside from your odd pick of resolution, to my knowledge you are doing effectively the same thing: rendering the game at a higher resolution followed by downsampling to your monitor's resolution.

3 minutes ago, Vishera said:

DSR is a weird hack in which NVIDIA take the image in the native resolution,makes it bigger,then sharpens and smooths it.

AMDs VSR is much better,as long as you don't use native resolutions (at native resolutions the image will be at lower resolution)

Custom resolutions are better than both,it should not harm your monitor (the warning is primarily for CRT monitors)

How is DSR a weird hack? Isn't it just rendering the image at the higher resolution you set followed by downscaling to your output resolution? The only catch I know of is that you're limited to certain factors times your native resolution, in which case a custom resolution should do the trick if your monitor allows for it.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

4 minutes ago, tikker said:

How is DSR a weird hack?

I already explained that

4 minutes ago, tikker said:

Isn't it just rendering the image at the higher resolution you set followed by downscaling to your output resolution?

Nope,that's not how it works.

How DSR works:

1.DSR takes the native image

2. makes it bigger by factors times your native resolution

3.Sharpens the image

4.Smooths the image in order to minimize the artifacts of sharpening.

That's why the mouse in DSR will be bigger than normal by factors times your native resolution as well.

You can change the smoothness and factors times your native resolution in settings.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

12 minutes ago, Vishera said:

I already explained that

Nope,that's not how it works.

How DSR works:

1.DSR takes the native image

2. makes it bigger by factors times your native resolution

3.Sharpens the image

4.Smooths the image in order to minimize the artifacts of sharpening.

That's why the mouse in DSR will be bigger than normal by factors times your native resolution as well.

You can change the smoothness and factors times your native resolution in settings.

Hmm it may be a bug or some incorrectly working thing, but I've always understood as DSR never being meant to be used on the desktop, only in games. Never hada the mouse problems you mention when gaming with it. Isn't what you describe just SSAA (would be a tad disappointed/confused if that's all DSR is)?

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Just now, tikker said:

Hmm it may be a bug or some incorrectly working thing, but I've always understood as DSR never being meant to be used on the desktop, only in games.

True

Just now, tikker said:

Never hada the mouse problems you mention when gaming with it.

In games it's not a problem,but in desktop it is.

But DSR still has noticeable sharpening and smoothness artifacts,both in desktop and games.

On 12/7/2020 at 3:32 PM, tikker said:

Aside from your odd pick of resolution, to my knowledge you are doing effectively the same thing: rendering the game at a higher resolution followed by downsampling to your monitor's resolution.

This is the recommended dsr setting (x2) geforce experience recommends for my resolution which 1440p. And it scales perfectly, atleast according to my perception

6 hours ago, sparkchomp said:

This is the recommended dsr setting (x2) geforce experience recommends for my resolution which 1440p. And it scales perfectly, atleast according to my perception

I found them odd since they're not a clean multiple of 1440p. They're close to square root 2 I see now, so I guess it's somewhat less odd than I initially thought.