PlayStation 5 Review - A Fanboy's Perspective

James

Buy Sony Playstation 5 On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/slHifS On Best Buy (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/a3JF00s On Newegg (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/olrxpXK

The PlayStation 5 is awesome: the DualSense controller is next-level, the launch titles are compelling, and it's got a built in UHD Blu-ray player....but that doesn't mean it's perfect.

5 minutes ago, James said:

....but that doesn't mean it's perfect.

No console is perfect...

5 minutes ago, Man said:

No console is perfect...

That is why it is so cheap. It comes with compromises. That is why no console is perfect.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

27 minutes ago, Man said:

No console is perfect...

Tell that to a Sliger Conswole with high end PC parts.

31 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

That is why it is so cheap.

Well, I wouldn't call a $500 console "cheap". And even if it is... it really isn't, in the grand scheme of things!

I mean, you've to pay Sony money to access even your SAVE FILES!!!

Console world is all about the 'razor blade' business strategy. Sell razors for dirt cheap and make revenues by selling blades at a huge mark-up! At least there are no strings attached when it comes to PC gaming... and even if there are you can easily bypass them by going DRM free. GOG.com comes to mind.

Have they mentioned any endurance figures regarding the on-board SSD? Seems kind of low capacity for something that - when it dies - will make the rest of the console unrepairable and useless.

Not sure if ISO was set wrong or youtube being youtube but the set background behind Linus is horrendously noisy at 4K quality on a 4K screen. The 1080p setting seems to actually smooth it out in the compression. On further inspection, it seems like the finer grained compression of 4K youtube is crackling.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.8caf8f627df65103fd60426cb507ec0d.png

image.thumb.png.de597c36b52929952d95c8ef9876c397.png

Both 4K, trying to show how much difference there is in the background in a second.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

16 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

Tell that to a Sliger Conswole with high end PC parts.

True. But there's barely any flexibility and user freedom. 

For instance, Fallout 4, GTA-V and TLOU2 are still locked at 30 on the PS5 the last time I checked and I strongly suspect you'll have to "re-buy" their 'remastered' versions to get 60. 

Something that's practically a non-issue on PCs is a HUGE headache on consoles! You get what you pay for, mate.

4o83dj.jpg.e1d586a69bada13b5a583f199a07424f.jpg

13 minutes ago, Man said:

Well, I wouldn't call a $500 console "cheap". And even if it is... it really isn't, in the grand scheme of things!

I mean, you've to pay Sony money to access your SAVE FILES!!!

Console world is all about the 'razor blade' business strategy. Sell razors for dirt cheap and make revenues by selling razors at a huge mark-up! At least there are no strings attached when it comes to PC gaming... and even if there are you can easily bypass them by going DRM free. GOG.com comes to mind.

It is irksome that you have to pay for PS Plus to get cloud saves, but on the balance I'd rather go the PS5 route than depend on a fast PC. $500 CAD for a PS5 plus $70 CAD a year with free games every month beats dropping $2,000-plus CAD (realistically more) on a PC where you may still feel pressured to upgrade components in a few years. Even though that PC will serve as a general-purpose system, you could save so much money that could go toward... well, more games.

And in my case, I like that I'm not chained to Windows or my desk to get my gaming fix. I'm a Mac user and would like to stay that way for now. More importantly, my partner likes to cuddle while I'm gaming (yes, I'm very fortunate); she can't do that if I'm at my computer.

2 hours ago, James said:

Buy Sony Playstation 5 On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/slHifS On Best Buy (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/a3JF00s On Newegg (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/olrxpXK

The PlayStation 5 is awesome: the DualSense controller is next-level, the launch titles are compelling, and it's got a built in UHD Blu-ray player....but that doesn't mean it's perfect.

Linus you traitor

You are forgetting your own roots as a Sega gamer.

SONY is directly responsible to sega's death!

What was wrong with the PS2 Logo at 8:40?

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

About the PS5 being a new version of an old model of selling games.

Clearly cloud gaming is on the rise, but is buying games on the decline? The fact that multiple companies are jumping on the streaming bandwagon does not mean it'll be a big success. Obviously Game Pass is the best deal at the moment, but will it really win over the majority of gamers or will it be just another option.

Dunno, Linus kinda jumped to conclusions at the end, or maybe I'm just not as rosy on cloud gaming's future.

1 hour ago, CapuaS said:

About the PS5 being a new version of an old model of selling games.

Clearly cloud gaming is on the rise, but is buying games on the decline? The fact that multiple companies are jumping on the streaming bandwagon does not mean it'll be a big success. Obviously Game Pass is the best deal at the moment, but will it really win over the majority of gamers or will it be just another option.

Dunno, Linus kinda jumped to conclusions at the end, or maybe I'm just not as rosy on cloud gaming's future.

Maybe i understood you wrong, but it sounds like you assume Game Pass to be a streaming service. With game pass you download the games and play them locally.

Game pass is such an awesome value and would be THE reason why i'd go with the XBOX if i were to get a console. 

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.