How long did DDR3 take to get implemented?

I'm assuming that we can extend the same time going from DDR3 to DDR4. So how long did it take roughly to get the avg consumer (ie gamers, and prebuilts) or most motherboards to change to DDR3?

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

The DDR3 SDRAM standard we use today was created over a period of 3 years, and was finalised in 2005. It was 2007 when consumer level hardware started to use it.

I'm assuming that we can extend the same time going from DDR3 to DDR4. So how long did it take roughly to get the avg consumer (ie gamers, and prebuilts) or most motherboards to change to DDR3?

The DDR3 SDRAM standard we use today was created over a period of 3 years, and was finalised in 2005. It was 2007 when consumer level hardware started to use it.

I'm going to assume he meant for people to use it more than DDR2...

Which I think was also around 3 years, maybe 2?

I think it was just under 2 years.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Once platforms start coming out with the new standard, old ones start to die off. You can't really buy DDR2 memory nowadays, and the ones you can find are phenomenally expensive.

For a short period of time after DDR4 comes out, DDR3 will be the cheapest it's ever been as retailers start moving it out to make way for DDR4. If you're building a new system, buy it then. But be aware that you're locking yourself into Haswell or Ivy-E, because there are no upgrade paths after that.

I'm excited for DDR4; the performance won't be dramatically different, but that capacity :)

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

2 years sounds like the standing ground for it

I fix computers and computer accessories... sometimes... when I want to...

Thanks all :)

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

and was finalised in 2005. It was 2007 when consumer level hardware started to use it.

and until ddr3 was afordable ,~2008-2009. 3-4 years

Probably a good year, but I'm not exactly sure

2 years sounds like the standing ground for it

I think it was just under 2 years.

Based on what? Are you guys just guessing?

Depends, do you have anything that suggests otherwise. DDR3 was 2007 but mainstream C2D and AM2 platforms at that time were not DDR3. :)

Depends, do you have anything that suggests otherwise. DDR3 was 2007 but mainstream C2D and AM2 platforms at that time were not DDR3. :)

Read my first reply to this topic.

I'm basing mine on release dates, If you look at the release dates of motherboards between the transition from DDR2 and DDR3 you'll see that the mass majority of motherboard manufactures released compatible motherboards within 2 years. (This is not depicting that people bought the motherboards within this time period but the fact that companies tried to make them mainstream with the new available hardware during this time period) :)

I fix computers and computer accessories... sometimes... when I want to...

Probably a good year, but I'm not exactly sure

There is no way to tell for sure when it was "mainstream", everything people have said in this thread is just a guess

There is no way to tell for sure when it was "mainstream", everything people have said in this thread is just a guess

Mine was based on facts. I dont see the point in posting random numbers when OP asked for facts.

Mine was based on facts. I dont see the point in posting random numbers when OP asked for facts.

How do you exactly pinpoint the time when DDR3 was considered "mainstream"? huh?

How do you exactly pinpoint the time when DDR3 was considered "mainstream"? huh?

When mainstream/consumer products start to use it. 

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pipe-dreams-p35-ddr3-motherboards-compared,1616.html

2005 article reporting the first DDR3 DRAM in production.

http://www.atip.org/atip-publications/atip-news/2005/3321-050218an-samsung-develops-worlds-1st-ddr3-dram.html

June 2007 article comparing the first/early DDR3 DRAM supporting motherboards.

When mainstream/consumer products start to use it. 

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pipe-dreams-p35-ddr3-motherboards-compared,1616.html

2005 article reporting the first DDR3 DRAM in production.

http://www.atip.org/atip-publications/atip-news/2005/3321-050218an-samsung-develops-worlds-1st-ddr3-dram.html

June 2007 article comparing the first/early DDR3 DRAM supporting motherboards.

So the minute that the first consumer used DDR3, it was considered mainstream? 

So the minute that the first consumer used DDR3, it was considered mainstream? 

Yes. Why would somebody release a DDR2 board after DDR3 ones have already been released?

What point are you trying to make?

OP asked how long it took for boards to start being produced that use DDR3. I posted 2 links that show when DDR3 DRAM was first produced, and a article dated June 2007 that showed the first few boards that used DDR3 DRAM.

Yes. Why would somebody release a DDR2 board after DDR3 ones have already been released?

What point are you trying to make?

OP asked how long it took for boards to start being produced that use DDR3. I posted 2 links that show when DDR3 DRAM was first produced, and a article dated June 2007 that showed the first few boards that used DDR3 DRAM.

DDR2->DDR3= big jump in performance and that justified the cost. But if DDR3->DDR4 is not as revolutionary and isexpensive, there would be a huge market for boards with DDR3. And personally, I would stick with DDR3.

[9:01:47 PM] Slick: And the award for life time acheivement in the field of "maker of the least amount of sense" goes to Kilmer.

DDR2->DDR3= big jump in performance and that justified the cost. But if DDR3->DDR4 is not as revolutionary and isexpensive, there would be a huge market for boards with DDR3. And personally, I would stick with DDR3.

The benefit of DDR4 over DDR3 is the huge capacity increase. I myself now use a minimum of 32GB in desktops that I build.

The benefit of DDR4 over DDR3 is the huge capacity increase. I myself now use a minimum of 32GB in desktops that I build.

As a gamer though, I do not use more than 8 GB EVER. I can understand 32 being justified for a workstation, but unless it is running specific applications that require a massive amount of ram (which compared to most users of RAM is miniscule), I cannot see the justification for buying DDR4 based upon the increase in capacity. Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying its going to be absolutely useless, i'm saying for the large majority of people it will.

[9:01:47 PM] Slick: And the award for life time acheivement in the field of "maker of the least amount of sense" goes to Kilmer.

The transition period really depends on Intel and AMD. It depends on when they choose to release chips that use it. As far as I know Haswell-E is going to come with DDR4 this year and Broadwell will come early next year and will also be DDR4. So from January onwards anyone buying DDR3 will be buying an obsolete product from Intel. I don't know what AMD's plans are, they seem to be shutting down their mid/high end desktop processor business so I don't even know if they intend to release on DDR4 those at all. Presumably the mid range APUs will get a DDR4 respin at some point, probably when it gets cheaper.

The transition period really depends on Intel and AMD. It depends on when they choose to release chips that use it. As far as I know Haswell-E is going to come with DDR4 this year and Broadwell will come early next year and will also be DDR4. So from January onwards anyone buying DDR3 will be buying an obsolete product from Intel. I don't know what AMD's plans are, they seem to be shutting down their mid/high end desktop processor business so I don't even know if they intend to release on DDR4 those at all. Presumably the mid range APUs will get a DDR4 respin at some point, probably when it gets cheaper.

APU's might see better performance with the higher frequencies that DDR4 will have, but not anything MASSIVE.

All the DDR2 boards didn't just explode overnight after DDR3 hit the stage. It'll probably be sometime next year DDR4 stops being enthusiast grade.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO