Why does Intel's iGPUs look so damn ugly?

whm1974

OK when I was in the process of wither to rule out either my GTX 970 or the Dell 3014 30" Display as the one having issues with losing the Signal, I quickly notice when switching to the Haswell Intel Graphics 4600, the resulting screen looks really ugly.... Even at the same resolution.

Why is this? I fix my problem by switching back to using the GTX 760 I started with. Has Intel's current HD 630 iGPU been improved since then?

If it matters, I am using Linux and at the time, I haven't reinstalled Windows. I

How does it look ugly? Im ugly, but thats just normal. So it could just be how its meant to be.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Intel's iGPUs are trash, almost universally, up until the last year or two when AMD forced them to finally give a damn.

That said, if you didn't wipe out the GTX 970 drivers, Intel's graphics drivers won't be able to fully do their thing, and they'll look even more like trash. The HD 4600 graphics were probably running at the wrong resolution as a result and, boom, shitty graphics.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

In Windows, I've seen all sorts of weirdness with any make of GPU if you're not running suitable drivers. Can't comment about Linux though. With the correct drivers and settings, for desktop use, there is no difference between it and others.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

10 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Intel's iGPUs are trash, almost universally, up until the last year or two when AMD forced them to finally give a damn.

That said, if you didn't wipe out the GTX 970 drivers, Intel's graphics drivers won't be able to fully do their thing, and they'll look even more like trash. The HD 4600 graphics were probably running at the wrong resolution as a result and, boom, shitty graphics.

With Manjaro Linux, I simply reinstalled the Distro with the Free Drivers. I then shortly after put the video card back in. The issue I had only shows up when playing games. I just couldn't stand the ugliness.

It is moot now that I'm using my older GTX 760.

there's literally no difference between Intel / AMD / Nvidia for desktop graphics, if you're talking about games... lol 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

there's literally no difference between Intel / AMD / Nvidia for desktop graphics, if you're talking about games... lol 

Well I was referring to the Desktop. Using 2560x1600p Resolution.