ASUS TUF 3080 - Ryzen 5600x Build completely restarts when starting certain games. At my wit’s end....

I recently built a new gaming PC using all brand-new parts. The PC is only ~10 days old. From the first day, I had issues running Rogue Company through Epic Games Launcher. Starting the game led to my PC restarting, taking me to a black screen, and booting up again. I didn't think much of it as my other two main games, Call of Duty Warzone and Call of Duty Cold War, were running fine. I attributed the crashes to Epic Games' use of Easy Anticheat and its history of being finnicky.

Fast forward to yesterday, where I tried to boot up Call of Duty Warzone and my PC restarted on its own on launch. Took me to a black screen, and then started up again. I didn't receive an error code or anything. In event viewer, the critical event is "Kernel Power 41" I launched Call of Duty Cold War and was running it perfectly fine at 1440p. I know Warzone is notorious for being a horribly optimized game on PC, so I decided to test a few other games and see if this problem existed elsewhere.

I decided to download Fortnite and see if this issue occurred elsewhere. Sure enough, running Fortnite would cause my PC to restart, without an error code, citing "Kernel-Power 41" as the event. This issue has persisted through several downloads of the latest drivers for the GPU, Motherboard, and Chipset. I ran several CPU and GPU stress tests, updated Windows, checked all of the connections to the PSU, everything. I even tried to set the resolution of my monitor to 1080p and run the games on low setting but still experienced crashes. The Chipset driver allowed me to run Warzone for a little bit. I was able to run fortnite for ~30 minutes after verifying the game files in epic games launcher, but it began crashing yet again. I tried updating to the latest motherboard bios but it freezes when I try to get to the directory where the new bios are downloaded.

I've read every post about this, tried everything I've seen online, called in friends with more hardware and software experience than me, and I'm still having those games crash on me. I'm at my wit's end and am turning to the internet for some help. I know this is a lot of information but I really have been at this for two whole days now. 

What's going on with my PC? Has anyone found a reliable fix? Pls help.

My Current Build is:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X

GPU: ASUS TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 OC

Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus Wi-Fi

Memory: G.Skill RipJaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3600 CL18-22-22-42 1.35V Dual Channel

SSD: 500gb Crucial m.2

PSU: NZXT C850 80+ Gold

CPU Fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition

Case: Cooler Master Mastercase H500 ARGB

Monitor (In case it matters): 27' Dell 2719DGF 1440p, 155hz

9 minutes ago, MZawahra said:

I recently built a new gaming PC using all brand-new parts. The PC is only ~10 days old. From the first day, I had issues running Rogue Company through Epic Games Launcher. Starting the game led to my PC restarting, taking me to a black screen, and booting up again. I didn't think much of it as my other two main games, Call of Duty Warzone and Call of Duty Cold War, were running fine. I attributed the crashes to Epic Games' use of Easy Anticheat and its history of being finnicky.

Fast forward to yesterday, where I tried to boot up Call of Duty Warzone and my PC restarted on its own on launch. Took me to a black screen, and then started up again. I didn't receive an error code or anything. In event viewer, the critical event is "Kernel Power 41" I launched Call of Duty Cold War and was running it perfectly fine at 1440p. I know Warzone is notorious for being a horribly optimized game on PC, so I decided to test a few other games and see if this problem existed elsewhere.

I decided to download Fortnite and see if this issue occurred elsewhere. Sure enough, running Fortnite would cause my PC to restart, without an error code, citing "Kernel-Power 41" as the event. This issue has persisted through several downloads of the latest drivers for the GPU, Motherboard, and Chipset. I ran several CPU and GPU stress tests, updated Windows, checked all of the connections to the PSU, everything. I even tried to set the resolution of my monitor to 1080p and run the games on low setting but still experienced crashes. The Chipset driver allowed me to run Warzone for a little bit. I was able to run fortnite for ~30 minutes after verifying the game files in epic games launcher, but it began crashing yet again. I tried updating to the latest motherboard bios but it freezes when I try to get to the directory where the new bios are downloaded.

I've read every post about this, tried everything I've seen online, called in friends with more hardware and software experience than me, and I'm still having those games crash on me. I'm at my wit's end and am turning to the internet for some help. I know this is a lot of information but I really have been at this for two whole days now. 

What's going on with my PC? Has anyone found a reliable fix? Pls help.

My Current Build is:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X

GPU: ASUS TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 OC

Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus Wi-Fi

Memory: G.Skill RipJaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3600 CL18-22-22-42 1.35V Dual Channel

SSD: 500gb Crucial m.2

PSU: NZXT C850 80+ Gold

CPU Fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition

Case: Cooler Master Mastercase H500 ARGB

Monitor (In case it matters): 27' Dell 2719DGF 1440p, 155hz

I am not sure why is this happening, but I had a lot of "Kernel Power 41" issues with my PC. First I thought it was due to overheating, but that was not the case. My PSU was faulty after replacing that I have had no problems. Maybe your PSU is faulty or is of too low wattage. I know 850W is a lot and should be sufficient, but you mentioned that whenever you are trying to launch games or while playing games you are facing this issue. That is one of the more intensive tasks and will push your power consumption high. If you have another PSU of the same or higher wattage try replacing the current PSU with it. You can borrow a friend's too if you have a friend who has a high end PC. 

have you updated all your drivers? 

try running a benchmark or stress test, see if that shuts down your computer.

also if you are running a single pcie cable to and from your PSU, plug in two independent cables.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

17 minutes ago, expiredbiscuit said:

I am not sure why is this happening, but I had a lot of "Kernel Power 41" issues with my PC. First I thought it was due to overheating, but that was not the case. My PSU was faulty after replacing that I have had no problems. Maybe your PSU is faulty or is of too low wattage. I know 850W is a lot and should be sufficient, but you mentioned that whenever you are trying to launch games or while playing games you are facing this issue. That is one of the more intensive tasks and will push your power consumption high. If you have another PSU of the same or higher wattage try replacing the current PSU with it. You can borrow a friend's too if you have a friend who has a high end PC. 

I haven’t fully ruled out the PSU, so it’s definitely possible. I’m planning on running out to Microcenter tomorrow and grabbing an EVGA Supernova 850w and seeing if it fixes the issue. A from everything I read a 850w PSU should be more than enough and I almost always go with EVGA so maybe I just got a bad unit. 

Just now, MZawahra said:

I haven’t fully ruled out the PSU, so it’s definitely possible. I’m planning on running out to Microcenter tomorrow and grabbing an EVGA Supernova 850w and seeing if it fixes the issue. A from everything I read a 850w PSU should be more than enough and I almost always go with EVGA so maybe I just got a bad unit. 

Could be. Best of luck.

16 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

have you updated all your drivers? 

try running a benchmark or stress test, see if that shuts down your computer.

also if you are running a single pcie cable to and from your PSU, plug in two independent cables.

Driver’s are all updated. Ran DDU and reinstalled them all to the latest versions. Still rebooting when I start games. Ran 3D mark for an hour and everything came back clean. Ram Prime95 and it passed every test. 

I initially did have a single PCIE split into two running into the GPU and thought this could be the issue. But I am now running two single PCIEs from the PSU to the GPU and encountering the same issue. 

3 minutes ago, MZawahra said:

Driver’s are all updated. Ran DDU and reinstalled them all to the latest versions. Still rebooting when I start games. Ran 3D mark for an hour and everything came back clean. Ram Prime95 and it passed every test. 

I initially did have a single PCIE split into two running into the GPU and thought this could be the issue. But I am now running two single PCIEs from the PSU to the GPU and encountering the same issue. 

have you re-installed windows, installed DX12, turned of gsync or other softwares of the like?

AMD blackout rig

1 minute ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

have you re-installed windows, installed DX12, turned of gsync or other softwares of the like?

Did a clean install of Windows last night, installed DX12, turned off G-Sync several times, and still getting crashes. What’s strangest to me is that Call of Duty Cold War runs without a hitch at 1440p, 155fps. I can legit play it for hours no problems. Same with Borderlands 3. But some games just instantly crash the PC and cause a reboot. It’s the strangest thing and I can’t figure out what’s happening. It’s stressing me out 

6 minutes ago, MZawahra said:

Did a clean install of Windows last night, installed DX12, turned off G-Sync several times, and still getting crashes. What’s strangest to me is that Call of Duty Cold War runs without a hitch at 1440p, 155fps. I can legit play it for hours no problems. Same with Borderlands 3. But some games just instantly crash the PC and cause a reboot. It’s the strangest thing and I can’t figure out what’s happening. It’s stressing me out 

have you tried making sure all of your power cables are firmly connected, I'm quite stumped with what could be going wrong.

AMD blackout rig

4 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

have you tried making sure all of your power cables are firmly connected, I'm quite stumped with what could be going wrong.

Unfortunately yes I’ve taken that step too. I’m just as stumped as you are. Thanks for your suggestions though I appreciate it!

8 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

Its the power supply. Don't get EVGA since they have even more problems with the 3080. There are a couple of threads on this in the graphics card section,

Hmm, I saw the issues people were talking about. My buddy has a 850w supernova and his has been running just fine. What PSU would you recommend if you don’t mind?

20 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

Its the power supply. Don't get EVGA since they have even more problems with the 3080. There are a couple of threads on this in the graphics card section,

that psu is perfectly fine and shouldn't trip from overload. 

it's a Tier A single rail psu more than capable of running a 3080.

AMD blackout rig

39 minutes ago, MZawahra said:

Hmm, I saw the issues people were talking about. My buddy has a 850w supernova and his has been running just fine. What PSU would you recommend if you don’t mind?

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1254686-solved-3090-fe-crashingrestarting/

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1256822-computer-crashes-after-installing-rtx-3090-fe/

• 1 month later...

Hi, did you find what was causing your issue. I seem to have the exact same problem and my buit is very similar 

Hey there, I have a 5800x and 3080 tuf with a corsair 850w power supply. Our builds are almost identical and I am having the EXACT same problem. It's insane how much time i've spent trying to troubleshoot this and I literally just cant. I thought it was the psu so I bought ANOTHER corsar rmx 1000w, exact same problem. I am currently emailing ASUS to get a replacement 3080 but honestly i dont even expect that to work. I have tried everything on google, spendind about 9 hours on it today alone. I really am just stumped and don't know what to do. If you can find a solution please post it. 

What games are crashing?

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

I've got exactly the same problem on a brand new build I just made my daughter for xmas. Feel like a terrible dad. Was meant to be finished for xmas and ended up taking me longer than expected. So the poor kids been waiting patiently and now when it's finally finished she can't play any games on it..... It has 5800x, ROC Strix X570-E Gaming motherboard, 3080 TUF and Cooler Master SFX 850w PSU. Full custom dual loop water cooling. Plays cyberpunk fine with all max setting. Overclocked and still after 45mins playing only got up to 37C. But restarts when launching fortnite every time! And thats all the kid wants to play... I've updated driver etc still have no idea what the problem is.... any help would be greatly appreciated!

12 hours ago, lotus10101 said:

What games are crashing?

Games like fortnite, apex legends, and rust. It is insane to me because I just finished streaming cyberpunk at max settings with ray tracing on. I played it for close to 3 hours with no issues. Yet when I boot up rust on low settings it completely restarts the pc with a kernel power event

10 hours ago, Jasper1000 said:

Games like fortnite, apex legends, and rust. It is insane to me because I just finished streaming cyberpunk at max settings with ray tracing on. I played it for close to 3 hours with no issues. Yet when I boot up rust on low settings it completely restarts the pc with a kernel power event

I wonder if its a bad behaving software, do you have any RGB software like corsair or razor synapse? i have some razor peripherals and a few games give me problems with synapse, if you have something like that running or any background tasks that are unnecessary you could try disabling them one by one and trying those games that makes your crashes, also on rare occasions usb hardware can have a negative impact for example i cannot run any games in epic game store with my focusrite usb audio interface plugged in, try unplugging everything except keyboard and mouse and swap out keyboard and mouse just to try

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

On 12/3/2020 at 3:56 AM, expiredbiscuit said:

EVGA Supernova 850w

evga supernova has issues with 30xx cards, even acknowledged by EVGA... not the best choice there lol. 

try corsair rm/x those work supposedly well... 

Also no issues with my own 500w Bequiet here, interestingly... 

not a single crash or anything in 3 weeks, even maxing the card out fully... 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I just connected a separate brand new 750w corsair SF750 PSU just to the GPU only (with different brand new cables). Leaving the 850w cooler master PSU running everything else. Still crashes and restarts when launching fortnite exactly the same. I really don't think it's a power supply issue. I could still be wrong. But that's 1650w total from two brand new PSU's.

Please create new threads for your issues instead of reviving older ones. Thank you.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White