Computer crashes after installing RTX 3090 FE

Arcimone

Hi All,

I recently installed an RTX 3090 FE. Since the install my computer will crash (system shuts off and resets) under heavy load (such as time spy benchmark with other programs such as a twitch stream running on a second monitor). I thought my PSU could be the issue so I swapped it out for a new EVGA 850 watt (was running 850 watt previously as well) and the issue persisted. I’ve noticed that by applying a negative 50 MHz offset to the cards clock speed seems to make it stable. For ease of reading below is a bulleted list of my system information and what I have tried so far.

Any help that people can offer would be incredibly appreciated!

System Information

• RTX 3090 FE
  • Intel 9900K (running at stock)
  • 32 GB of 3000 MHz memory (running XMP)
  • Asus Z390-E gaming motherboard
  • samsung 1 TB SSD
  • 4 TB hard drive
  • intel optane M.2 hard drive accelerator
  • Corsair h100 AIO (240 mm radiator)
  • 6 fans in the case (including the radiator fans)
  • Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh case
  • EVGA 850 watt PSU (2 separate cables are being fed into GPU not 1 daisy chained)

Troubleshooting Information

• Made sure separate cables are being fed to GPU from PSU not one daisy chained
  • CPU is run at stock settings however XMP is enabled
  • Temperatures in system are reasonable highest GPU temp I’ve seen is ~70 Celsius usually lower CPU is also at a normal temp
  • Old PSU was 850 watts but I have swapped it with a new 850 watt PSU
  • Underclocking by applying a -50 MHz offset to GPU seems to make system stable
  • Have tried different wall outlets other powered items on same outlet don’t turn off when computer shuts off so I don’t think it’s a wall outlet issue
  • GPU hits a max boost clock of ~2010 MHz

2 minutes ago, Arcimone said:

Hi All,

I recently installed an RTX 3090 FE. Since the install my computer will crash (system shuts off and resets) under heavy load (such as time spy benchmark with other programs such as a twitch stream running on a second monitor). I thought my PSU could be the issue so I swapped it out for a new EVGA 850 watt (was running 850 watt previously as well) and the issue persisted. I’ve noticed that by applying a negative 50 MHz offset to the cards clock speed seems to make it stable. For ease of reading below is a bulleted list of my system information and what I have tried so far.

Try a driver update this was supposed to be fixed recently.

it seems like that your psu cant handle 3090

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

the stock driver seemed to boost the clock too high and caused the system to crash. so just update the drivers asap which should fix it

Thanks for the quick response. You don’t know if this was the driver released on October 7th do you? If so I had that driver downloaded but crashes persisted? Or are there beta drivers that you can download?

9 minutes ago, Arcimone said:

EVGA 850 watt PSU

Which one exactly?

BabyBlu (Primary): 

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ up to 5.3GHz, 5.0GHz all-core, delidded
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 @ 4000MHz 16-18-18-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X, 2070MHz core, 8000MHz mem
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB, 3x ADATASU800 1TB (RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Display: MSI MPG341CQR 34" 3440x1440 144Hz Freesync, Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 165Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Roxanne (Wife Build):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ up to 5.0GHz, 4.8Ghz all-core, relidded w/ LM
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Sniper 4x8GB DDR3-2400 @ 10-12-12-24
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ LM
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, w/ Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 2TB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Display: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: GMMK TKL(Kailh Box White)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7

BigBox (HTPC):

• CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3600 @ 3600MHz 14-14-14-28
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus OC, de-shrouded, LM TIM, replaced mem therm pads
  • Case: Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage: SP A80 1TB, WD Black SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF600 Gold w/ NF-A9x14
  • Display: Samsung QN90A 65" (QLED, 4K, 120Hz, HDR, VRR)
  • Cooling: Thermalright AXP-100 Copper w/ NF-A12x15
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Rii i4
  • Controllers: 4X Xbox One & 2X N64 (with USB)
  • Sound: Denon AVR S760H with 5.1.2 Atmos setup.

Harmonic (NAS/Game/Plex/Other Server):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • Motherboard: ASRock FATAL1TY H270M
  • RAM: 64GB DDR4-2133
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Case: Fractal Design Define 7
  • HDD: 3X Seagate Exos X16 14TB in RAID 5
  • SSD: Inland Premium 512GB NVME, Sabrent 1TB NVME
  • Optical: BDXL WH14NS40 flashed to WH16NS60
  • PSU: Corsair CX450
  • Display: None
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S
  • Keyboard/Mouse: None

NAS:

• Synology DS216J
  • 2x8TB WD Red NAS HDDs in RAID 1. 8TB usable space

Seems like GPU issue, but maybe rum memtest86+ one run just to be sure RAM isn't the issue.

I edit my posts more often than not

Just now, Tan3l6 said:

Seems like GPU issue, but maybe rum memtest86+ one run just to be sure RAM isn't the issue.

Sure thing I’ll run this when I get home this evening and send results back to make sure. I agree likely isn’t a memory issue since I normally think that when it’s a memory error I’d see a blue screen vs a system restart.

1 minute ago, Arcimone said:

The EVGA 850 GA fully modular gold

make sure you quote people so that we can see your responses

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Fasauceome said:

make sure you quote people so that we can see your responses

Will do sorry about that.

I ordered a power meter from Amazon to see how much my computer is pulling from the wall and get an idea of the power supply is hitting its limit (realize that the power supply should pull more than 850 watts). Is this a useful exercise or am I wasting time trying this?

1 hour ago, Poet129 said:

Try a driver update this was supposed to be fixed recently.

Was this for the board partner cards or FE cards as well. I’m currently on 456.71 was there a newer one than this?

8 minutes ago, Arcimone said:

Was this for the board partner cards or FE cards as well. I’m currently on 456.71 was there a newer one than this?

You have the newest drivers from nvidia, there are no others afaik.

As for a solution to your problem, idk. 

Im also curious as to what's causing your problems. I know a guy who also complained about his 3090 crashing the system ... 

39 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

Its the power supply. EVGA is having issues with these cards. Check this thread for the same problem:

That’s a great catch. I’ll swap my PSU out this week and see if it helps. What do you think of the Corsair HX 1000 / HX 1000i?

6 hours ago, Arcimone said:

That’s a great catch. I’ll swap my PSU out this week and see if it helps. What do you think of the Corsair HX 1000 / HX 1000i?

Hey hope you didn't have to spend too much time troubleshooting this. Me and about 7 other people who've messaged me have had the exact same issue with that exact EVGA PSU. Swapping the PSU has 100% solved the issue for me and have been running totally crash/reset free since. I went with the Corsair RM850 and it's worked perfectly. So for what it's worth I'm a Corsair fan now. I don't know anything about the ones you listed specifically though.

9 hours ago, mahyar said:

it seems like that your psu cant handle 3090

This is objectively not true. The card is at most 400W and the rest of the system wouldn't pull 450W even under Liquid Nitrogen.

This is the driver issue that plagued many a 3090 at launch. It's been fixed with an update as far as we know

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

7 hours ago, dilpickle said:

Its the power supply. EVGA is having issues with these cards. Check this thread for the same problem:

Interesting, I was not aware of these problems with EVGA PSUs. Lemme read up.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

• 1 month later...

Not all EVGA power supplies have issues.....

I was experiencing complete shutdowns at random when I first installed my RTX 3090. After replacing my EVGA 850w GA with an EVGA 850w G+, I haven't had any shutdowns.

On 10/12/2020 at 1:36 PM, dilpickle said:

You are a life saver! I just spent 2 days debugging why Half Life Alyx(and only HL:A) was crashing my system within a minute of launching it. I actually downgraded my wattage to my 700W OCZ PSU and it worked like a champ. I have no idea how much longer I would have been debugging if I hadn't seen this. 

• 1 month later...

Well I have a similar system, and having the same shut down issue. But I don't believe that it is related with PSU, or I just don't want to believe. :( Can someone advise if my case is PSU or heat related? 

So shutdown even viewer info is:

image.png.f63051ec0be528025a1cff8355b76812.png

So I used HW Info, and MSI afterburner to track CPU and GPU temperatures, none of them reached anything critical. 

image.png.5e407727d2d160630242ca863071f05f.png

I've reduced my aggressive overclock and ended up with the solution above >> an OC for the CPU that draws 80 watts max. 

So my GPU 3090 draws 378 watts maximum under stress testing while stressing both the cpu and gpu. (furmark + cpuz)

So Fan's are running at max speed, but when i close the case, the temperature builds up in miscellanous system parts like the Darkrock Pro CPU coolers other end (not the end on the CPU, becomes quite hot to the touch), rams are burning literally but could not find a way to measure the temperature of those modules... 

I seriously don't think this is related with PSU since I reduced the electric load on the PSU so much that it simply should not matter if my 750 watt psu would fit for a 3090 or not... 

Case is : Bequiet Pro V2

PSU: Bequiet 750 watt (pasting the invoice below just in case)

image.png.22be775228027f1e8679e553e95356a8.pngimage.thumb.png.56e9dba4b1f73b9f22e610ded45a1ec8.png

image.png

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/12/2020 at 8:13 AM, Arcimone said:

Hi All,

Any help that people can offer would be incredibly appreciated!

System Information

• RTX 3090 FE
  • Intel 9900K (running at stock)
  • 32 GB of 3000 MHz memory (running XMP)
  • Asus Z390-E gaming motherboard
  • samsung 1 TB SSD
  • 4 TB hard drive
  • intel optane M.2 hard drive accelerator
  • Corsair h100 AIO (240 mm radiator)
  • 6 fans in the case (including the radiator fans)
  • Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh case
  • EVGA 850 watt PSU (2 separate cables are being fed into GPU not 1 daisy chained)

Troubleshooting Information

• Made sure separate cables are being fed to GPU from PSU not one daisy chained
  • CPU is run at stock settings however XMP is enabled
  • Temperatures in system are reasonable highest GPU temp I’ve seen is ~70 Celsius usually lower CPU is also at a normal temp
  • Old PSU was 850 watts but I have swapped it with a new 850 watt PSU
  • Underclocking by applying a -50 MHz offset to GPU seems to make system stable
  • Have tried different wall outlets other powered items on same outlet don’t turn off when computer shuts off so I don’t think it’s a wall outlet issue
  • GPU hits a max boost clock of ~2010 MHz

I had this issue with Alyx on my 10900k, 32 gig 4000 Ram, Aorus 3090 Master... I had under clocked, undervolted, rearranged the power supply per manufacturer recommended bus layouts... After Days of tweaking reading edit and troubleshooting I finally fixed it.

Simple fix 

1. I deleted Half Life Alyx, and re-downloaded and reinstalled.  Fixed it for me.

I believe Steam may have an issue where it can corrupt the downloads when it pauses or is interrupted. I had run the software verifier a couple times and it always said everything was good, but this type of instant crash, fans full, whenever I opened the weapons wheel seemed to be some kind of memory leak.  Now I got my system all overclocked and running at peak with no crashes.

***after a few more experiments I had the issue again*** Switching to Vulvan in the graphics settings within the game under custom seems to have fixed my issue.