Which cooler for the i7 9700k?

Noobatpcs

I got a i7 9700k and was looking for a cheap low profile cooling soltution, as I wont be overclocking at all.

I was wondering if the ARTIC Alpine 12, cpu cooler would be a good option? My case has limited space that is why I am going with a low profile cooler. I also dont care about the noise.

33 minutes ago, Noobatpcs said:

ARTIC Alpine 12

No.

Does your case fit a 120mm or 240mm AIO? if so buy that.

If not then for sure get a decently large cooler in any event, something more like the noctua coolers.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

I recently upgraded from my i5 8400 to 9700k (got a sweet deal on a used one from my friend). My antec c400 which cooled my 8400 very well struggles to keep up with the new cpu. It gets upto 100c and throttles. I can get a deepcool neptwin air cooler near my place for a reasonable price. AIOs are not readily available here. 

As an aside the throttling doesn't occur in games where the max temp is 85c. It's only in encoding jobs it hits those temps. 

https://www.deepcool.com/product/cpucooler/2018-08/7_9444.shtml

On 12/1/2020 at 11:01 AM, Noobatpcs said:

I got a i7 9700k and was looking for a cheap low profile cooling soltution, as I wont be overclocking at all.

I was wondering if the ARTIC Alpine 12, cpu cooler would be a good option? My case has limited space that is why I am going with a low profile cooler. I also dont care about the noise.

Alpine 12 won't do it I think. Hardware unboxed review of 9700k showed hitting 85c on a noctua d15

The Alpine 12 should be fine with enough undervolting. 

What case and ram are you using? Where are you shopping / located? Budget?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

48 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The Alpine 12 should be fine with enough undervolting. 

What case and ram are you using? Where are you shopping / located? Budget?

Apline 12 is recommended upto 95w tdp. Even though 9700k is rated at 95w it can draw in excess of 125w

3 hours ago, carreragt said:
3 hours ago, carreragt said:

Apline 12 is recommended upto 95w tdp. Even though 9700k is rated at 95w it can draw in excess of 125w

More like closer to 250w. Don’t cheep out on a cooler if you want that cpu to stretch it’s legs. My friend has that CPU and does a lot of photo and video work. On his DRP4 his cpu makes it into the mid seventies with no overclocking.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's