Need help with overclocking CPU and GPU

nawab u
I have some doubts about overclocking. Pls help me
  1. What are the softwares used for overclocking(pls give seperate list for intel and amd) ?
  2. is overclocking safe with good cooler and acceptable temperature or it will decrease the life span of motherboard because of voltage increase even with good cooler?
  3. how much performance increase by maximum overclocking cpu and gpu in percentage from stock settings ?
  4. after overclocking while testing stability screen goes black because of not enough voltage.
I restarted the pc but screen remains black.

In windows 10 we have only option to enter bios inside of operating system.
There is no shortcut key like f8 f10 to enter bios.
Then how to enter bios if screen is black?

1. from which frequency I should start overclocking, base frequency or turbo frequency?
  2. At which rate should I increase voltage?
  3. Does graphics card overclocking improve performance?

1. i need ur specs

2. u can reset ur previous settigs, with the reset cmos button on mobo

3. overclocking will increase heat and speed, to the point that u overheat or take so much power u cant afford

We´ll need the name of your PSU CPU and GPU. 

Any Help is appricated! Please correct me if I´m wrong!

Sorry for grammer/spelling mistakes, but english is not my native language (it´s german in case you were curious) *expand to see builds*

Primary PC: CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | GPU: Crossfire Radeon 6870 + 6850 | RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 2X16 = 32GB @ 3600MHZ DDR4 | MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F | COOLER: COOLER MASTER ML360R | CASE: DEEPCOOL Matrexx 55 V3 ADD-RGB | PSU: GIGABYTE P850GM 80+ GOLD | SDD: CRUCIAL MX500 250GB |

Everything thats not colourful I haven't bought yet.

Secondary PC(Currently not operational): CPU:  INTEL Q8200S @ 2.33Ghz | GPU: GTX 750 ti / 760 | RAM: 4X2 = 8GB @ 800MHZ DDR2 OCZ Platinum | MOBO: ASUS P5E-VM SE | COOLER: Be Quiet! Silent Loop 280* | CASE: DEEPCOOL Matrexx 55 V3 ADD-RGB* | PSU: CORSAIR RM850 2019 80+ GOLD* | SSD: CRUCIAL MX500 250GB* 

Everything marked with * is what I bought for the Primary PC and I'm just using it until I get all the parts.

7 hours ago, nawab u said:

The BIOS is completely independent of OS, you don't need to enter bios from in windows. 

8 hours ago, nawab u said:
  1. What are the softwares used for overclocking(pls give seperate list for intel and amd) ?
  2. is overclocking safe with good cooler and acceptable temperature or it will decrease the life span of motherboard because of voltage increase even with good cooler?
  3. how much performance increase by maximum overclocking cpu and gpu in percentage from stock settings ?
  4. after overclocking while testing stability screen goes black because of not enough voltage.
I restarted the pc but screen remains black.

1. from which frequency I should start overclocking, base frequency or turbo frequency?
  2. At which rate should I increase voltage?
  3. Does graphics card overclocking improve performance?

1. BIOS for both, software is not recommended

2. Safe and safe... if not done properly no. You are going beyond manufacturer spec and if you don't know what you're doing then your PC may have a bad day..

3. Depends on the CPU/GPU and also depends on the quality of the silicon.

4. It could be that, it could be way too much OC.. it could be because RAM is unstable if you increased the bclk

Clear CMOS check your mobo manual for how to.

You enter BIOS before Windows starts

Usually del or F2 to enter BIOS

Clear CMOS and do the appropriate procedure for your board, again consult manual

1. One increment, stability test then one increment if passed when not pass see pt 2.

2. One increment when unstable until stable again

3. Yes, how much is entirely depending on the GPU

1. BIOS 

2. even if anyone will tell you no, yes. (higher temps, higher currents = more wear, it's not rocket science) 

3.Depends on your specs, but generally not much 2-10% (maybe) 

4.well, no idea, you would probably need to reset CMOS (I feel that should have been your 1.)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 11/30/2020 at 4:25 PM, nawab u said:

1. BIOS for CPUs, Afterburner for GPU.

2. Well, yes and no. Its safer than what it was 10 years ago. But manufacturer doesn't guarantee anything when you start overclocking. If you know what you are doing, its unlikely to kill something. But if you follow guide, or some review to letter, you are more than likely to break something.

3. There's no one number. And how much boost you get depends on task also, not just hardware or amount of overclocking you do. I have kept some scores from when I was OCing (running stock currently), and for 10% OC I got 5-13% performance boost. On CPU, I haven't really tried with GPU.

1. after overclocking while testing stability screen goes black because of not enough voltage. I restarted the pc but screen remains black.

Mobo manual has the key you need to spam. Usually its DEL or F2. But you really should reset CMOS if you suspect OC settings are the reason for black screen. Could be something else, so I recommend reseating GPU for example to test things out.

Depends on hardware. Turbo is what is stable, and if you are OCing, goal is to go over it. So disable Turbo for starters (this can cause issues when stress testing). You should research what is average OC for your hardware and try that or bit under it. For example, Devils Canyon i7 (last I have OC'd) Turbo is 4.40GHz. Average for the chip is 4.7GHz. I was able to get it 4.84GHz stable, but owner of the CPU decided to stay at average with less voltage and cooler temps.

1. At which rate should I increase voltage?

0.1V for starters, then fine tune with 0.01V. This also depends bit on hardware, and doesn't apply with GPUs (since I haven't OC'd those).

1. Does graphics card overclocking improve performance?

Yes. How much depends again from which card and what application.

Overall I recommend you read or watch some guides first. You sound like you heard about OCing, thought it sounded cool and just jumped in.

Edited by LogicalDrm

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

(Not an old overclocker here)

To overclock, you remove done limits from BIOS and then use software if you wanna do it with the help of software (like and ryzen Master)

Not all motherboards are good for oc, for example an A520 can melt, a B550 is usually ok, an x570 is most of the times good. All depends on the vrm thermals, more on that on Mobo comparisons 

That's a legendary way to kick to out of asrock list :D gamers nexus had the same date after comparing motherboard thermals.

overclock increases performance, but will consume more voltage so you need a PSU that is a bit bigger than recommended in most of cases. Also don't expect double performance, it's usually small and if you have stock cooler on CPU you may lose performance cuz of thermal throttle, same for low specs GPU.

it might look quite intimidating at first but this guy has written an amazing article on how to overclock ryzen sytems. its a little outdated and does not include the new zen 3 parts but the basics are all the same. if you look at his page he also has guides on how to oc your ram and intel systems.

as said above CPU oc should be done in the bios. GPU oc can be done with software. if you mess up and the screen remains black on reboot. you can jump the cmos pins on your motherboard or simply take the mobo battery out for a minute if your mobo dont have a reset switch.

https://www.hisevilness.com/articles/technology/amd-overclocking-terminology-faq.html?showall=1

On 12/2/2020 at 11:05 PM, OscarMike said:

you can jump the cmos pins on your motherboard or simply take the mobo battery out for a minute if your mobo dont have a reset switch.

Thats, besides that I honestly don't think it's worth it with a 3600, is the main reason I don't oc my cpu.. it took literally ages to make this shitty MSI board do not what I wanted regarding case fans... so resetting cmos is about the last thing I would want to do lol... 

Also I think this board is just not really suitable for Ryzen cpus, I cannot and never could, also with other Ryzen CPUs, use "Ryzen Master"... screen just goes black even if I don't change anything, fans run at max and the only way to the get it to boot again is reset cmos... 

needless to say this was my first and my last msi board... (and likely product) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

Thats, besides that I honestly don't think it's worth it with a 3600, is the main reason I don't oc my cpu.. it took literally ages to make this shitty MSI board do not what I wanted regarding case fans... so resetting cmos is about the last thing I would want to do lol... 

Also I think this board is just not really suitable for Ryzen cpus, I cannot and never could, also with other Ryzen CPUs, use "Ryzen Master"... screen just goes black even if I don't change anything, fans run at max and the only way to the get it to boot again is reset cmos... 

needless to say this was my first and my last msi board... (and likely product) 

what board is it? is it b450? my old board was a msi gaming m5 z270 for my old intel part. it was great. did everything i wanted very easily. overclocking was really simple. i have however tried 2 b450 boards with ryzen chips and found that they are absolute garbage. the boards i tried were from asrock. b450 seems to have such limitations over x470. maybe it was just that particular model. but im never cheaping out on a motherboard again. my 2700x ran like absolute garbage on that asrock b450 and a friend of mine had the same board and it wouldnt even post with a r5 3600. we both upgraded to x470 and fixed all our problems.

2 minutes ago, OscarMike said:

what board is it? is it b450? my old board was a msi gaming m5 z270 for my old intel part. it was great. did everything i wanted very easily. overclocking was really simple. i have however tried 2 b450 boards with ryzen chips and found that they are absolute garbage. the boards i tried were from asrock. b450 seems to have such limitations over x470. maybe it was just that particular model. but im never cheaping out on a motherboard again. my 2700x ran like absolute garbage on that asrock b450 and a friend of mine had the same board and it wouldnt even post with a r5 3600. we both upgraded to x470 and fixed all our problems.

It's a B350 it's in my sig... and yeah ryzen boards seem to have a lot of stability issues tbh, and that's kinda ok, because they're "the new guys" (lol) and it may improve over time, but I don't think we're there yet... 

And initially this board oc ok with a 2200G, but it was always extremely finicky and tedious... now it just doesn't seem to work anymore, probably because of a half assed "compatibility bios" but I didn't try much tbh, I'm happy my fan curves work and my ram runs at advertised speeds (which it did previously not with the older bios) 

biggest bummer is that Ryzen Master just won't work, never did... lol. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

9 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

biggest bummer is that Ryzen Master just won't work, never did... lol. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

that sux. iv learned my lesson with cheap boards. i dont really think its amd's fault tho. yea first gen ryzen was kinda buggy so iv heard. but im still running my 2700x and it seems very happy in the asus x470 i have no problem playing with settings in the bios. i did try to oc it. (later found out there was no point) but it never once failed to boot. even when it black screened or froze during stability tests. it simply auto reset the bios and booted me into a screen that told me my settings were reset. my mobo has a bios reset switch but i have never had to use it. makes oc so easy. 

oh did you install the chipset drivers from msi? im not sure ryzen master will work without the correct chipset drivers. 

32 minutes ago, OscarMike said:

oh did you install the chipset drivers from msi? im not sure ryzen master will work without the correct chipset drivers. 

Yeah, a million times... it's just not working... likely something wrong with the board, but since otherwise pretty much everything works I kept it... I also had a msi b450 for a week or so, which was even worse... frequent random reboots... laggy... buggy... BUT Ryzen Master worked!  LOL 🤣

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

because they're "the new guys" (lol) 

Haha they are only 2 years newer than Intel. 

40 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Haha they are only 2 years newer than Intel. 

I meant it a bit ironic, and also more regarding the Ryzen line, they had like "one" good chip before... lol (athlon 64) 🤔

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

29 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

I meant it a bit ironic, and also more regarding the Ryzen line, they had like "one" good chip before... lol (athlon 64) 🤔

There were others too, but I will not deny that they had a decade long dry spell. 

Just now, Blue4130 said:

There were others too, but I will not deny that they had a decade long dry spell. 

My dad never stopped believing in them - he ran AMD for all three systems that he build - Athlon 64, Phenom X3 (unlocked to 4 cores), Ryzen 5 1600X

elephants

elephants

1 hour ago, Blue4130 said:

one of my first pcs (4th actually) had and AMD athlon 64 and ATi X1950GT + *1GB* RAM and could actually play most games at 1080p /30 or 720p /60 which was really great at the time (around 07) 

But I didn't actually follow this stuff much afterwards, mostly played on consoles, but I still had the pc about 12 years and it always ran fine too (took 1 minute to boot which was *very fast* back then iirc) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity