5900X gives me lower FPS on Modern Warfare than 8700K

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

o.O I'm not sure how you intend to deal with drivers via task manager... Maybe you meant device manager?

@Virtualnate: If you re-installed Windows then you don't have previous drivers in it. It should have kept your personal files (documents, etc), but not system files. 

DDU is just a tool to fully uninstall graphics card's drivers, since sometimes they leave some junk behind. However, you didn't change your graphics card, so it is unlikely to help. However, do check for GPU utilization and clocks while gaming, with the same software you monitor FPS (if you are using a tool that reports FPS only, try with MSI Afterburner, which will allow you, via its settings, to enable the display of on-screen information, including GPU and CPU stats, FPS, etc).

yeah device manager, my bad, and yes, check afterburner, and see gpu usage

7 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

o.O I'm not sure how you intend to deal with drivers via task manager... Maybe you meant device manager?

@Virtualnate: If you re-installed Windows then you don't have previous drivers in it. It should have kept your personal files (documents, etc), but not system files. 

DDU is just a tool to fully uninstall graphics card's drivers, since sometimes they leave some junk behind. However, you didn't change your graphics card, so it is unlikely to help. However, do check for GPU utilization and clocks while gaming, with the same software you monitor FPS (if you are using a tool that reports FPS only, try with MSI Afterburner, which will allow you, via its settings, to enable the display of on-screen information, including GPU and CPU stats, FPS, etc).

I have been using Afterburner for 2 years now, never had an issue. I will play for two minutes and get back to you with numbers

Alright guys, here are the numbers:

GPU temp 60C

GPU usage 98%

CPU usage 32%

FPS 94 on average but it jumps to 115FPS ONLY when I'm standing against a wall or looking up at the sky...

18 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

GPU temp 60C

GPU usage 98%

CPU usage 32%

FPS 94 on average but it jumps to 115FPS ONLY when I'm standing against a wall or looking up at the sky...

I also have the latest Nvidia driver

5 minutes ago, Virtualnate said:

GPU temp 60C

GPU usage 98%

CPU usage 32%

Are the game settings *exactly* the same? You've hit the gpu limit more or less. My guess is that you turned on AA or something else that is taxing the gpu more. 

12 minutes ago, Virtualnate said:

GPU temp 60C

GPU usage 98%

CPU usage 32%

It seems normal. Can you check the clock speeds for CPU and GPU as well (to see if they are boosting as expected)?

6 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Are the game settings *exactly* the same? You've hit the gpu limit more or less. My guess is that you turned on AA or something else that is taxing the gpu more. 

I also think that, unless the GPU is boosting less for some reason, it could simply be some setting not kept equal.

18 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

It seems normal. Can you check the clock speeds for CPU and GPU as well (to see if they are boosting as expected)?

I also think that, unless the GPU is boosting less for some reason, it could simply be some setting not kept equal.

alright, here it is

gpu 1936MHz

memory 10265MB/5508MB

RAM 15675MB

couldn't find the CPU clockspeed or temp in afterburner, but I minimized the game and checked on Task Manager it's at 4.33Ghz

Also, I enabled NVIDIA Reflex Low Latency: Enabled+Boost and now it's going from 102FPS to 115FPS, it's better!

and good thing is, compared to the 8700K, with the 5900X I don't get stuttering anymore on Shadow of The Tomb Raider or when respawning in Modern Warfare multiplayer...

28 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

they're the same settings, I have no idea what could be causing the lower FPS

5 hours ago, Virtualnate said:

alright, here it is

gpu 1936MHz

memory 10265MB/5508MB

RAM 15675MB

couldn't find the CPU clockspeed or temp in afterburner, but I minimized the game and checked on Task Manager it's at 4.33Ghz

Also, I enabled NVIDIA Reflex Low Latency: Enabled+Boost and now it's going from 102FPS to 115FPS, it's better!

Maybe you were also using it before?

Everything seems to be working normally.

3 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Maybe you were also using it before?

Everything seems to be working normally.

I have no idea, had to toggle every setting on and off and on until something changed. To be clear, the 5900X eliminated stuttering as soon as I started playing from day one, not yesterday. It is an amazing processor. I even got about 15FPS higher on Shadow of the Tomb Raider. As far as COD:MW I also found out it may depend on which multiplayer map I'm in. For instance, I tried a private bot match using shoot house/shipment (I play lots of it) and the FPS are higher than on bigger maps... Something I hadn't noticed before, but if I remember correctly I hardly went below 110FPS, it's close enough to what it used to be, don't know what else I should tweak, can't complain though!