DNS issues and bad internet even after resetting windows and formatting C drive

Hey guys, I built a new system recently
MSI MEG Z490 Godlike
Gigabyte GTX 1070
Intel 10900k
64g 3200mhz Corsair vengeance RGB Pro RAM 
and noticed the other day that suddenly it would refuse to connect to Piratebay and dropbox. 
I use a VPN and noticed that with or without it, it would refuse to connect even though using the same wifi connection with my phone they worked fine.
I went through a bunch of different steps, pretty much everything google told me to do, changed to different browsers, moved my tower to access a different wifi source and ISP, and even spent an hour with ExpressVPN's support to no avail. I was wondering if maybe you guys could give me your thoughts on other possible things I could try. 
I appreciate any extra help I can get!

Below is a transcript of my support session with ExpressVPN to give you an idea of what has already been attempted to give you an idea where I'm at:

Chat transcript:
Visitor: Hey I am trying to access dropbox.com and can do it on mobile just fine but cannot do it on my desktop no matter if my firewall, antivirus and vpn are disabled or enabled. I tried resetting my dns and several other things but can't figure it out
Jess: Hi! My name is Jess and I'm here to help.
Visitor: Cool thanks
Jess: I understand that you have been encountering issues accessing Dropbox from your computer as compared to your mobile device. Thanks for bringing this to our attention! Don't worry, I will be taking a closer look at this!
Jess: Before we move forward, may I know the email address you've used to sign up with us? This way, I can review your account's status. Also, in case our chat gets disconnected, please open the chatbox again and ask for me, Jess. My colleagues will reconnect us.
Visitor: <redacted by forum staff>
Jess: Got it. Thanks for providing your email address! I appreciate it. Please bear with me for a moment while I quickly review your account.
Visitor: To give you more info regardless of browser I choose to use it is all the same result, I almost think it is an isp issue but that doesn't explain why my wifi on my phone has no issue
Visitor: I have tried with edge, chrome and firefox with no luck
Jess: Thank you so much for clarifying the issue with me. This has been really helpful and I really appreciate it. Can you also confirm if Dropbox is the only service you are encountering issues with or other websites as well?
Visitor: The only one I have noticed thus far
Jess: Thanks for confirming this. How about the country where you're currently situated and the name of your ISP?
Visitor: <redacted by forum staff>
Jess: Got it. Is it okay if I ask for a few moments to check if there might be any known issues related to the information that you have provided? This won't take long, I promise!
Jess: Also, can you tell me if you specifically need the VPN to access Dropbox?
Jess: Or you just happen to be connected to the VPN w hen accessing it?
Visitor: Go ahead, I don't specifically need the vpn to access it, I just like having my vpn on all the time
Jess: Got it. Thanks for confirming this, we can try a few steps after I've checked something here on our end. I have asked this because there is a feature called split tunneling from the app where you can exclude an app from the VPN tunnel. We can use a dedicated browser to access Dropbox or if you have the chance to download the Dropbox app if avalialbe.
Visitor: I can't even get to the dropbox home on my desktop to download the app
Jess: Got it. Thanks for letting me know. This won't take long, I promise!
Visitor: This may not even be a vpn issue I honestly had no idea where else to turn
Visitor: My Internet is provided by my landlord so I don't have much info to give If I talked to the isp support directly
Visitor: I just figured it was wierd since usually a vpn can punch through an ISPs restrictions if that were the issue
Jess: Yes. You're exactly right but we're actually glad that you have brought this up to our attention. Hmm. I have checked it here on our end and it seems that the VPN should be working fine. “Depending on the complexity of the issue, this may take us at least 15 to 20 minutes to troubleshoot. Do you have enough time so we can move forward?
Visitor: Sure thing
Visitor: I'm just chilling watching youtube so I can chat on the side
Jess: Great! Thank you! To start off, may I know if you have tried connecting to other server locations before?
Visitor: You mean just connecting to a different location through expressvpns ui?
Jess: Yes, exactly 🙂
Visitor: Just swapped over to hong kong but no difference
Jess: Thanks for confirming. Hmm. Can you tell me what do you usually do when you connect to the VPN? That way, we can connect to a server location that is inclined to what you do without interrupting it and you'll be able to access Dropbox at the same time.
Visitor: I just have it configured to start on startup of my machine, I'm a little unsure what you are asking?
Visitor: I also have the chrome extension
Visitor: The specific error I get is this:
Visitor: This site can’t be reachedwww.dropbox.com refused to connect.Try:Checking the connectionChecking the proxy and the firewallERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED
Jess: Oh, sorry for not clarifying myself further. I just meant to ask why you need to be connected to the VPN. Maybe you are connecting to UK server locations to access Netflix UK and at the same time get Dropbox to work. In case that we have connected to a server location that is working for Dropbox, I just also wanted to make sure that you can achieve or do what you usually do when connecting to the VPN.
Visitor: Usually used for Netflix or secure P2P downloading services
Jess: Thanks for sending the error message. That's really helpful.
Jess: And got it. Hmmm. Let's try another server location. Can you also try Canada?
Jess: Toronto - 2 maybe?
Jess: Let's check if it will make a difference. If it did not work, let’s try changing the protocol on the VPN to check if your ISP blocks data from the ports that it uses.
Visitor: No luck
Visitor: wait let me check something
Jess: Thanks for the info. Take your time. When you are done, let's try connecting to a different protocol instead, as VPN connections through a different protocol might work better for you:

1. Click the hamburger menu (≡) in the top-left corner of the ExpressVPN app.
2. Select "Options" > "Protocol."
3. Select UDP.
4. Click “OK."
5. Try connecting to the VPN again.
Visitor: No luck on UDP or TDP
Visitor: I DID however discover that whatever is blocking dropbox is also blocking thepiratebay. If that helps you narrow it down
Visitor: Other p2p sites seem to work though
Jess: Got it. Hmmm. I wonder why these services are suddenly blocked. Can you also try uising IKEv2?
Visitor: No luck
Visitor: I just built a new pc, my previous pc had no issues and neither did this one for several weeks, it just suddenly started refusing to connect to specific sites
Jess: That seems rather strange. How about we try Lightway this time?
Jess: if that did not work, we need to do more troubleshooting steps to further isolate the cause of the issue.
Visitor: No luck on lightway either
Jess: Got it. Let’s check your VPN app and confirm if it is configured to our recommended settings.
Jess: 1. In the ExpressVPN app, click the hamburger menu (≡).
2. Click “Help & Support."
3. Click “Diagnostic Information.”
4. Click "Save to File" and save the file.
Jess: You may email it to support@expressvpn.com using the email subject line ATTN: Jess. Please use the email address that you've used to sign up with us.
Visitor: ok
Jess: Thank you! Will you let me know once done?
Visitor: Just sent
Jess: Thank you! Let me just check.
Jess: Still looking for the email. Thank you!
Visitor: No problem, it is in my sent box so it should be sent your way
Jess: Thank you!
Jess: Got it now. Just checking the log file.
Visitor: Good deal
Jess: Hmm. It is configured with the recommended settings and the app is also updated. Hmm. Are the antivirus and firewall disabled at the moment?
Visitor: Correct
Visitor: Quite a doozy of an issue ey? Haha
Jess: Haha! I totally agree.
Visitor: I cannot for the life of me figure out where it's coming from
Visitor: I did a bunch of googling and troubleshooting before this and did everything they suggested with no results. So confusing lol
Jess: Hmm. Now that we have tweaked some info, let's continue using IKEv2 this time. Have you tried using Firefox since we started doing this?
Visitor: Not since the beggining
Jess: Got it. Can you also try using Firefox this time?
Jess: If that did not work, would you like connecting to a hotspot that uses mobile data so we can confirm if the issue is with your computer or ISP?
Jess: We'll be able to narrow it down.
Visitor: Just downloaded the extension for firefox and installed, still no luck
Visitor: let me try with the hotspot
Jess: Thank you so much!
Visitor: Trying to find my password for my hotspot hold on
Jess: Yes. Take your time 🙂
Visitor: No luck with the hotspot surprisingly
Visitor: really thought that would work
Jess: Wow. Hmmm. That's rather odd, you seem to be able to access Dropbox from your phone, right?
Visitor: correct
Visitor: Let me just try again on my phone normally
Jess: That's a great idea.
Visitor: No issue whatsoever over the phone
Jess: Got it, and the VPN is connected. Correct?
Jess: Thank you for letting me know about this. This is really helpful.
Visitor: It works without the vpn on my phone too
Jess: On the computer, it happens whether the VPN is connected and not connected, correct?
Visitor: Am I making your evening interesting Jess lol?
Jess: Haha! Believe it or not, yes! And you make things easier actually, a lot! Thank you for your patience and undersatnding. I really appreciate it.
Jess: By the way, can you confirm if Piratebay is not working too when disconnected to the VPN?
Jess: Hmmm. You're probably right. This could be something that is not related to the VPN and is only specific to your device or Dropbox itself.
Visitor: No problem whatsoever, piratebay also refuses to connect with or without vpn activated
Visitor: Since it's blocking piratebay my first thought goes to firewall or ISP but firewall is deactivated and the vpn should punch though the isp
Jess: Can you check if the date and time from your computer is properly set?
Visitor: Im flabberghasted haha
Visitor: Date and time are accurate yes
Jess: Me too! This is definitely an issue with the device.
Visitor: These two sites and any other piratenbay proxies are the only sites that seem to be effected. Everything else has never had an issue
Visitor: What makes this weird is piratebay ABSOLUTELY worked on this system in the past
Jess: I know, right? I am surprised myself. What kind of wizardry is this?
Visitor: I cannot for the life of me figure this out, I have done no software update that I can imagine would ever effect this
Visitor: I built this PC from the ground up with the best components so it's definately not a hardware issue
Jess: Hmmm. Yes, I totally agree and from that standpoint, it is plausible to say that your computer needs to be checked as well. Hmmm. Would you like to change the DNS settings on your computer?
Jess: 1. Press the Windows key + "R" to open the "Run" window.
2. Type the following and hit Enter: ncpa.cpl
3. Right-click the network you're currently connected to (Wi-Fi, Ethernet) and go to "Properties."
4. Double-click "Internet Protocol Version 4" (if that doesn’t appear, it might be called "Internet Protocol").
Jess: 5. Select "Use the following DNS server addresses" (the 4th and 5th boxes) and enter the following addresses:
6. Click "OK" to leave all windows and try accessing the services again.
Jess: By the way, while you are on it, can you tell me if you have restarted your router and computer at the same time?
Visitor: Just did those dns things with no luck
Visitor: should I reset the dns to previous settings, and restart the router and PC simultaniously?
Jess: Yes. Thank you so much. Use the option to "Set DNS automatically" from your IPv4 properties and restart both PC and router.
Jess: Don't worry, our chat should still be here.
Jess: Can you get back to me within 7 minutes or so?
Jess: That way, our chat won't get disconnected for being idle.
Visitor: Ok cool, if it isnt still here should I navigate the support system on the site to connect back with you
Visitor: I should be able to
Jess: Yes! Great idea! I would love to chat with you again.
Visitor: Ok cool I'm gonna give it a shot and try and hook back up with you!
Jess: Thank you so much! I will be waiting here!
Jess: Let me know when you're about to restart your computer.
Visitor: About to do it now, I'm going to shut down the router first because my PC has a quick reboot
Jess: Great!
Jess: I will be on the lookout.
Visitor: Alrighty im back
Visitor: and It still refuses to connect
Jess: Thank you so much!
Visitor: Thank you for putting up with me haha
Jess: No, thank you! Haha. Hmm. Can I ask for a few moments to do my research on this as well?
Visitor: Absolutely!
Jess: Thanks! This won't take long!
Visitor: You are my rock Jess thanks a ton
Jess: Haha! That puts a lot of pressure on me but I really appreciate it. I'll do my best. I bet you've done a DNS flush?
Visitor: I have yes
Jess: Got it.
Jess: Hi!
Jess: Just sending the message so we don't get disconnected.
Visitor: Hey!
Visitor: No problem
Jess: Hmmm. Is it okay if we clear your browser's cookies? Your saved passwords won't be affected because it uses cache.
Visitor: Sure let's give it a go
Jess: Thank you! I appreciate it.
Visitor: Just did it, no luck
Jess: Hmmm.
Jess: On your Chrome browser, go to Settings>System>Open Proxy Settings>Go to Connections>Click on the LAN settings button. Ensure that “Automatically detect settings” is disabled. Under “Proxy server” section, ensure “Use a proxy server for your LAN” is disabled.
Jess: Close and reopen Chrome.
Visitor: OK so im in the proxy settings for windows but I dont see a connections option just "Automatic proxy setup and manual proxy setup
Jess: Oh, sorry about that. We should be doing it from Chrome.
Visitor: clicking open your computers proxy settings in chrome opens up the windows proxy settings
Jess: Got it. Are you somehow seeing something like this?
Jess: File: https://www.snapengage.com/fileuploads/snapabug-hr-fileuploads/a9a72cd7-fdbb-46f1-b153-44c00cdc5998/357f3005-d4e6-4e11-b516-87c78f350add_image.png
Visitor: No im not
Visitor: I can take a screenshoy and send it yo your support email if you like
Visitor: screenshot
Jess: Images can be sent here.
[Visitor has received the file request.]
Jess: I have sent an upload button. Thank you~
Visitor: This is what I see
Visitor: File: SnapEngage | Sign In
Visitor: with the button I clicked in chrome to get there at the bottom
Jess: Thank you. Can you disable Automatically detect settings for me?
Visitor: just did
Jess: If that still did not work, I would really suggest getting your computer checked by a technician too, I am afraid that these settings that we are doing might just aggravate the issue.
Visitor: Alrighty I will see If I can give the ISP a call tommorow. Maybe they can shed some light on it butif that doesn't work I will see If I can find a technician to give me a hand
Visitor: I appreciate the help though Jess, you did good girl
Jess: Thank you so much for your patience and understanding. Sorry, I wasn't able to be an assistance to you. I really hope that your issue can be resolved but we have isolated it to be an issue outside if the VPN.
Jess: I am actually a guy but that's also acceptable.
Jess: Before we end this chat, is there anything else I can help you with?
Visitor: Shit sorry haha
Jess: Haha! No, it's fine!
Visitor: Is there any chance I can get a text copy of this conversation I can show the tech if needed?
Jess: Of course! I can send you a copy via email once our chat gets disconnected.
Visitor: Be easier than going through the same testing steps again
Visitor: I appreciate it, thanks!
Jess: Once we end this chat session, the system will automatically create a ticket for our session. I'll email you a copy of our chat transcript along with that ticket ID number. The ticket ID will serve as your reference number.
Jess: You are welcome! Is there anything else I can help you with?
Jess: By the way, I just wanted to let you know that we have a brief customer satisfaction survey. We'd be grateful if you would be able to complete it.
Visitor: Thats it! Hope you have a good evening!
Visitor: Will do, you deserve it
Jess: Thank you! I will be ending the chat now. Thanks for contacting ExpressVPN Support. Have a great evening as well!
Jess: Bye-bye! Be safe!

Edited by SansVarnic
Removed content.

8 minutes ago, NortheastBreeze said:

Visitor: I appreciate the help though Jess, you did good girl

Jess: I am actually a guy but that's also acceptable.

lmfao, are you sure you're connected to wifi on your phone? try turning off cellular data then trying to access the page 

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

1 minute ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

lmfao, are you sure you're connected to wifi on your phone? try turning off cellular data then trying to access the page

I know it made me lol irl too. But yes 100% and I am currently moved out of the place I previously originally had the issue from and am on a completely different ISP and still have the exact same issue

31 minutes ago, NortheastBreeze said:

Click the hamburger menu (≡)

Great.. now I'll be wanting hamburgers every time I see this icon. 😛 😛 

have you tried using a proxy?

or changing your DNS server?

AMD blackout rig

1 minute ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

have you tried using a proxy?

or changing your DNS server?

Yessir

2 minutes ago, NortheastBreeze said:

Yessir

Do I understand correctly? You cant even load page on www.dropbox.com? Because I can fine with Chrome.

5 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

Do I understand correctly? You cant even load page on www.dropbox.com? Because I can fine with Chrome.

That's right, the main page for dropbox refuses to connect on chrome along with all other browsers

1 minute ago, NortheastBreeze said:

That's right, the main page for dropbox refuses to connect on chrome along with all other browsers

Have you tried sending ping to www.dropbox.com in CMD?

2 minutes ago, AlwaysWong said:

It seems like something mess with your Windows host file and blacklisted the site in the Windows kernel level. 

How does one undo this? If it's the case?  I have no idea how it would have happened, the first time I noticed it was after downloading a ccleaner torrent through a trusted user. Only other things I really messed with was the windows 10 debloater powershell

1 minute ago, aDoomGuy said:

Have you tried sending ping to www.dropbox.com in CMD?

Forgive my ignorance but what's the process to do this?

Just now, AlwaysWong said:

Do you have a cellphone to test if you can access them sites? 

Yeah if you read through the transcript it is no issue at all on my phone. With or without vpn

1 minute ago, NortheastBreeze said:

Open Start menu and search for cmd then open it

run command

ping www.dropbox.com

You will send 4 packets and if all are received it is ...possible to connect to the site..

4 minutes ago, NortheastBreeze said:

open cmd.exe type "ping https://dropbox.com -t" and it will say "connected recieve xxbytes of data xxxms" or "connection refused"

if it says connection refused there's something refusing connection to the site 

AMD blackout rig

4 minutes ago, NortheastBreeze said:

How does one undo this? If it's the case?  I have no idea how it would have happened, the first time I noticed it was after downloading a ccleaner torrent through a trusted user. Only other things I really messed with was the windows 10 debloater powershell

Open notepad as administrator, click file->open and browse to

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc\

In there there should be a file called Hosts.ini I think... Open it and see if it says anything about dropbox.

Ah yes

"Trusted" user 

Either the software ccleaner or your debloater powershell messed up your Windows host file and blacklisted the site or the software you downloaded is malicious. Since your phone can access to them sites then we can roll out internet culprit. The only thing left is your Windows OS. 

2 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

open cmd.exe type "ping https://dropbox.com -t" and it will say "connected recieve xxbytes of data xxxms" or "connection refused"

if it says connection refused there's something refusing connection to the site 

Did one myself, (first readout) and your specific command (second one that couldn't find host) Result attached

ping.PNG

have you tried using a different browser?

AMD blackout rig

Just now, AlwaysWong said:

Ah yes

"Trusted" user 

Either the software ccleaner messed up your Windows host file and blacklisted the site or the software you downloaded is malicious. Since your phone can access to them sites then we can roll out internet culprit. The only thing left is your Windows OS. 

The software in question was never installed successfully. It was just downloaded. On attempt to install it gave an error that a .dll file was missing and it wouldn't even attempt install

Just now, Letgomyleghoe said:

have you tried using a different browser?

I have tried on edge, firefox, and chrome with no results

Just now, NortheastBreeze said:

The software in question was never installed successfully. It was just downloaded. On attempt to install it gave an error that a .dll file was missing and it wouldn't even attempt install

It may still be a trojan that successfully installed it's payload...

Just now, NortheastBreeze said:

what the heck you debloat Windows? Which method and who guide?