No ground prong

Ayush K

Just built my PC, started it and got shocked. Discovered that there is no ground prong on the power supply outlet. Do I have to buy it separately or what?

IMAG0007.jpg

A ground prong on this style of European plug is only used in some parts of Europe.

These parts on the side interface with the grounding parts of the socket:

image.png.cdf0adac14be8d08b15c67a53dc1e044.png

Are you aware if your power socket is actually grounded?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Yes it is but why did I get a European style plug? I live in India.

2 minutes ago, Ayush K said:

Which PSU? I don't want to have the same problem, LOL. (PS. Kaha se liye parts?)

1 minute ago, AvMaverick said:

Which PSU? I don't want to have the same problem, LOL. (PS. Kaha se liye parts?)

Mdcomputers.in

Psu is Thermaltake tough power Grand RGB 750w

14 minutes ago, Ayush K said:

that's not a question to ask me, that's a question to ask the company you bought it from.

they may have bought PSU's intended for the European market.

contact the store, but before you do double-check there aren't any other cables in the box.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, minibois said:

that's not a question to ask me, that's a question to ask the company you bought it from.

they may have bought PSU's intended for the European market.

contact the store, but before you do double-check there aren't any other cables in the box.

So do I have to buy a different cord now? Is there any other solution?  I don't have any other cord in the box. There are just unused sata and pci cables.

Just now, Ayush K said:

So do I have to buy a different cord now? Is there any other solution?

Provided the label on the PSU says it can handle 220V (which it should, it came with a European cable after all), it's just a matter of buying a C13 cable with the appropriate plug on the other end for your power outlet.

But again, you shouldn't have to buy a power cable for a PSU you bought new in your region. That cable is something that should've come with the PSU

4 minutes ago, minibois said:

Provided the label on the PSU says it can handle 220V (which it should, it came with a European cable after all), it's just a matter of buying a C13 cable with the appropriate plug on the other end for your power outlet.

But again, you shouldn't have to buy a power cable for a PSU you bought new in your region. That cable is something that should've come with the PSU

I don't have a choice I think coz the retailer's customer care no. is shut down until January 2021.

That plug is for Europe and Russia outlets. For india, you'll need a different power cord or a different wall power socket altogether.

The one you have, is designed for either this one where the ground in built into the socket:

Spoiler

image.png.baba4ec052c5ee8f802c2715d8baf0b1.png

Or this one, where the ground is the side pins there :

Spoiler

image.png.a5f625835752aa48427cb69118c7c9df.png

For india, I'm assuming your wall outlets looks like one of the following :

Spoiler

image.png.2a069158d2caf11df9c8fb2546ef1af6.png

Type C doesn't have a ground, which is basically what would happen if you use the plug you currently have in your possession.

But Type D and M do.

As such, just go on Amazon.in and get a power cord there if there is none available locally for cheaper.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

3 hours ago, Ayush K said:

Is there any other solution?

Yes. Use the computer without ground. It's fine. 

Otherwise, if you really want ground, manually attach some wire to the computer case, and connect the other end to a grounded object, or shove it into a ground connector on a power outlet.

On 11/27/2020 at 12:47 AM, akio123008 said:

Yes. Use the computer without ground. It's fine. 

Otherwise, if you really want ground, manually attach some wire to the computer case, and connect the other end to a grounded object, or shove it into a ground connector on a power outlet.

I'll die using my computer without ground lol. It already shocked me real bad.

24 minutes ago, Ayush K said:

I'll die using my computer without ground lol. It already shocked me real bad.

Either it's just some normal charge buildup and there's nothing to worry about,

or you've used the most sketchy power supply in the world and somehow the live wire is connected to the case.

If that second scenario is what's going on, a ground wire isn't going to help you at all, in fact, a ground wire is just going to trigger the RCD in your house, or short everything out and trip the breaker.

• 1 month later...

All PSUs have a EMI filter that needs a Ground connection to work properly, if the Ground is missing the chassis will have half the mains voltage on it relative to Ground.

So, if the input is 220VAC, the chassis will have 110VAC on it, which is a shock hazard!

Also this voltage is present on all the connectors and cables and can cause component failure when connecting to other powered devices.

Always use a Grounding type power cable and test the outlet for proper polarity and Ground!