Will this help my internet in my room?

Yashiees

Hi I've been getting really bad internet in my room as its so far.

will this help https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WA801N-Wireless-Injector-Ethernet/dp/B085M4ZJ2L?ref_=Oct_DLandingS_D_cb92eba7_60&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE 

and if it does, where do i place it?

and will it not give me high latency and high ping? I play fps games competitively 

That looks super cheap and doesn't even have support for gigabit lan, I would not buy that. If you can already get an ethernet port in your room, you should plug it into your computer.

Define "bad", what speed is being paid for from the ISP? what speed are you getting at your PC?

If you're expecting it to reduce latency, it won't. Sure it's got a repeater mode but that's not going to improve latency at all, it might improve speed a bit if you can place it in the right spot so it's boosting the signal where it's not too degraded but you'll have to play around with that, there isn't a "put it here" kind of answer. If you want reliability it MIGHT help somewhat but don't expect it to be a magic bullet either as it's still wireless on 2.4GHz only which is the crowded band that's going to have a lot more interference in play.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

59 minutes ago, Coolmaster said:

That looks super cheap and doesn't even have support for gigabit lan, I would not buy that. If you can already get an ethernet port in your room, you should plug it into your computer.

my room is to far and im not at that age to drill holes in the house wiring an eth cable.

anything wireless?

Wireless N is outdated and slow, I would recommend getting a wireless AC extender or possibly doing powerline adapters. It would be nice to know your current speeds and equipment.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

1 hour ago, Lurick said:

Define "bad", what speed is being paid for from the ISP? what speed are you getting at your PC?

If you're expecting it to reduce latency, it won't. Sure it's got a repeater mode but that's not going to improve latency at all, it might improve speed a bit if you can place it in the right spot so it's boosting the signal where it's not too degraded but you'll have to play around with that, there isn't a "put it here" kind of answer. If you want reliability it MIGHT help somewhat but don't expect it to be a magic bullet either as it's still wireless on 2.4GHz only which is the crowded band that's going to have a lot more interference in play.

like im not getting a good signal from my far room. The ISP has proved us with 100 mpbs download and like 10 upload.

The wifi signal is really weak in my room and I need something to make it stronger 

1 hour ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Wireless N is outdated and slow, I would recommend getting a wireless AC extender or possibly doing powerline adapters. It would be nice to know your current speeds and equipment.

some virgin media box

100 download and 10 upload (in the same room as the router)

1 minute ago, Yashiees said:

like im not getting a good signal from my far room. The ISP has proved us with 100 mpbs download and like 10 upload.

The wifi signal is really weak in my room and I need something to make it stronger 

Then you have a couple options, you either need to find a decent place between your room and the router to find a good AC repeater OR look at a dedicated access point (probably around $100) and disable wireless on the virgin media router instead.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 hour ago, Lurick said:

Then you have a couple options, you either need to find a decent place between your room and the router to find a good AC repeater OR look at a dedicated access point (probably around $100) and disable wireless on the virgin media router instead.

something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Gigabit-Controller-Software-EAP225/dp/B01LRQW0GM/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=ac+repeater&qid=1606344392&refinements=p_89%3ATP-LINK&rnid=1632651031&s=computers&sr=1-10 ?

1 hour ago, Lurick said:

or the ac repeater https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WPA4220KIT-Powerline-Broadband-Configuration-UK/dp/B01LXOZ4EN/ref=pd_di_sccai_5/262-2241955-0309842?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01LXOZ4EN&pd_rd_r=2bb7be76-0550-446c-b001-94f1ceb02af9&pd_rd_w=QqCpk&pd_rd_wg=khPYC&pf_rd_p=f45e6bfc-40b0-4749-aceb-1ea1cd205758&pf_rd_r=J7E1A5S5M5ZVZAYZBG8F&psc=1&refRID=J7E1A5S5M5ZVZAYZBG8F ?

3 minutes ago, Yashiees said:

Yup, and plug that up to the router. It should provide a much better signal overall compared to the current ISP provided device.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

21 hours ago, Lurick said:

Yup, and plug that up to the router. It should provide a much better signal overall compared to the current ISP provided device.

would this work https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WPA4220KIT-Powerline-Broadband-Configuration-UK/dp/B01LXOZ4EN/ref=pd_di_sccai_5/262-2241955-0309842?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01LXOZ4EN&pd_rd_r=2bb7be76-0550-446c-b001-94f1ceb02af9&pd_rd_w=QqCpk&pd_rd_wg=khPYC&pf_rd_p=f45e6bfc-40b0-4749-aceb-1ea1cd205758&pf_rd_r=J7E1A5S5M5ZVZAYZBG8F&psc=1&refRID=J7E1A5S5M5ZVZAYZBG8F

i asked around and apparently i need a poe switch and stuff.

18 minutes ago, Yashiees said:

No, that's another 2.4GHz repeater and will not improve your experience at all.

You can get a POE 5 port switch for like $30:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-SF1005P-Ethernet-Configuration-Required/dp/B076982FVC/ref=sr_1_29?dchild=1&keywords=poe+injector&qid=1606419667&s=computers&sr=1-29

Just connect the AP to the switch and then switch to the router OR you can get a 30w PoE injector but those are as if not more expensive than the switch.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 hour ago, Lurick said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-SF1005P-Ethernet-Configuration-Required/dp/B076982FVC/ref=sr_1_29?dchild=1&keywords=poe+injector&qid=1606419667&s=computers&sr=1-29

Just connect the AP to the switch and then switch to the router OR you can get a 30w PoE injector but those are as if not more expensive than the switch.

I dont really know anything about wifis that much.

I didnt word this thread properly. So my router is in a different far room. And I cant catch good signal and i cant use eth cable from my room to the router.

I cant use a cable from the living room all the way to my room, i cant wire it. I can only do wireless stuff. That's all. 

Whats an AP? 

59 minutes ago, Yashiees said:

I didnt word this thread properly. So my router is in a different far room. And I cant catch good signal and i cant use eth cable from my room to the router.

I cant use a cable from the living room all the way to my room, i cant wire it. I can only do wireless stuff. That's all. 

Just now, Yashiees said:

I know, the ISP provided device serves 1 purpose, provide you basic internet access and maybe come with cheap wifi. That's it. A good dedicate access point can be connected and the wireless on the ISP device disabled and it will provide a much nicer experience even from the same spot.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 hour ago, Lurick said:

I know, the ISP provided device serves 1 purpose, provide you basic internet access and maybe come with cheap wifi. That's it. A good dedicate access point can be connected and the wireless on the ISP device disabled and it will provide a much nicer experience even from the same spot.

So hindsight what do I do.

What do I need to get specifically, links please

I've got really bad ADHD and it's kind hard to understand things! 

2 minutes ago, Yashiees said:

So hindsight what do I do.

What do I need to get specifically, links please

I've got really bad ADHD and it's kind hard to understand things! 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Gigabit-Controller-Software-EAP225/dp/B01LRQW0GM/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-SF1005P-Ethernet-Configuration-Required/dp/B076982FVC/

You might need an extra 3ft ethernet cable to be safe but beyond that you'll have everything you need with those two links.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 hour ago, Lurick said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Gigabit-Controller-Software-EAP225/dp/B01LRQW0GM/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-SF1005P-Ethernet-Configuration-Required/dp/B076982FVC/

You might need an extra 3ft ethernet cable to be safe but beyond that you'll have everything you need with those two links.

dammit, I'm on a tight budget. And that goes kinda over. 

BUT! That will be brought in the future.

But for right now, what would be a good AC repeater that can just help me get a good signal and not lag like crazy shit in-games. Thats under £60

9 minutes ago, Yashiees said:

But for right now, what would be a good AC repeater that can just help me get a good signal and not lag like crazy shit in-games. Thats under £60

Repeaters will cut your bandwidth in half due to how they work. Id imagine they would also increase your latency. So they would not be good for online gaming, at least not the competitive stuff. 

Essentially repeaters are built to increase your WiFi range by a little. As they need to be put in an area with good signal. They are not built for speed. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 hours ago, Lurick said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WA901N-Wireless-Injector-Ethernet/dp/B087MSF7BR/ref=psdc_430580031_t2_B01LRQW0GM?th=1

hows this +POE? Will this help my wifi even abit?

1 minute ago, Yashiees said:

ows this +POE? Will this help my wifi even abit?

No. Its for powering the AP over the Ethernet cable. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.