Advice needed for headphones

Jupsik

Hey,

I'm looking for a replacement for my current steelseries arctis 3's. Would like the headphones to sound great and have decent surround sound for gaming. Mic quality is not important as I've got a standalone mic. 

Budget is up to ~350 eur, if they are worth the sound. 

Main use is listening to music while working and gaming in the evening. Also they need to not look wierd :). 

I know nothing about headphones so appreciate any assistance on this. 

53 minutes ago, Jupsik said:

Hey,

I'm looking for a replacement for my current steelseries arctis 3's. Would like the headphones to sound great and have decent surround sound for gaming. Mic quality is not important as I've got a standalone mic. 

Main use is listening to music while working and gaming in the evening. Also they need to not look wierd :). 

Hyper X Cloud IIs are a popular choice. They have fantastic sound for music and movies (not just for gaming). The mic is detachable too so since you have a standalone one, just leave it in the box.

I love linking this guy:

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

2 hours ago, Jupsik said:

Hey,

I would recommend getting a headphone amp/DAC paired with the DT 990 pros. They are open back which is essential for gaming and music in my opinion. Get the Sound Blaster G6 and the DT 990 pro.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

2 hours ago, Tigerleon said:

I would recommend getting a headphone amp/DAC paired with the DT 990 pros. They are open back which is essential for gaming and music in my opinion. Get the Sound Blaster G6 and the DT 990 pro.

Thanks! just ordered the suggested combo.

1 hour ago, Jupsik said:

Thanks! just ordered the suggested combo.

thats a hard combo to reccomend . the g6 is fine for the most part but the 990 depending on you r ears and the type of music you listen to might no tbe the greatest pick du to the very forward somewhat agressive treble. 

sennheiser hd559 maybe ?

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

On 11/22/2020 at 3:35 PM, rice guru said:

thats a hard combo to reccomend . the g6 is fine for the most part but the 990 depending on you r ears and the type of music you listen to might no tbe the greatest pick du to the very forward somewhat agressive treble. 

Thanks for the comment on the 990's. Been off the deep-end on reading about headphones for a day and had a follow-up question. What would be the alternatives to the 990 pro's in Europe and is there any plausible rational to have more than 1 set of headphones? On the alternative options, lets up to budget to 200 - 250 eur for the headphones alone. The 990 pro's were only 115 eur. 

1 hour ago, Jupsik said:

Thanks for the comment on the 990's. Been off the deep-end on reading about headphones for a day and had a follow-up question. What would be the alternatives to the 990 pro's in Europe and is there any plausible rational to have more than 1 set of headphones? On the alternative options, lets up to budget to 200 - 250 eur for the headphones alone. The 990 pro's were only 115 eur. 

The 990 pros are awesome! You really don't have to spend more. 

To me, headphones are kinda like watches. You want each one to be unique and perform for different occasions. The 990 is like a Rolex. It's kinda overhyped and deservedly so. What I'm saying is that the 990 is a versatile, sturdy pair of headphones without much or any flaws.

But if you want a more colored headphone for indie rock, jazz and folk music then the OKCSC M2 I'm using right now will put a huge smile on your face and they're dirt cheap from China. 

You're better off spending money on other stuff honestly. The diminishing returns are notable after after 200€. The 990 just happen to be 115€, but the initial price was much higher. That's often the case with older models. 

2 hours ago, Jupsik said:

DT 880 600 or 250 ohm less Bess but more pleasant treble, and beyerdynamic tygr easier to drive retuned version of the 990. Another one is the akg k712 wider more even soundstage not as precise as the Beyers in imaging but pretty excellent mostly balanced sound. And on the Sennheiser sound the HD 660s is pretty great not as much soundstage as the others but really nice imaging

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jupsik said:

@rice guru, @Tigerleon, have gotten my soundblaster g6 and the dt 990's and they are fantastic. Thank you very much for the recommendations!

NP. Happy to hear that it sounds great.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)