Switching to AMD - How to keep Windows Pro License?

This Christmas I'm completely redoing my system from the ground up and it'll be AMD based, so I'm swapping out 90% of my components. My only holdovers are my PSU and SSD. I have a feeling it won't be as easy as just plugging my SSD back in once everything is assembled, so what is the best way to keep my license and have it activate on the new platform? And should I wipe and reload my OS to prevent complications from my old hardware configs?

I upgraded from Windows 7 Pro way back when and I use a local account instead of a Microsoft one if that makes a difference. I also used the "slmgr /dli" in CMD and found I have a retail license.

Thanks

1 minute ago, Stylized_Violence said:

I also used the "slmgr /dli" in CMD and found I have a retail license.

By that do you mean this was a prebuilt PC that came with windows pre-activated? If so, the activation is tied to your motherboard, and replacing it will mean you lose your activation. You won't be able to reuse that code either since it's tied to the specs of the original PC and can't be used on a different device. You'll have no option but to buy a new Windows license. If it's a key you bought yourself, then that's a different story though.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

it should be linked to your microsoft account, so as long as you bought that key then yes

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

8 minutes ago, Stylized_Violence said:

I upgraded from Windows 7 Pro way back when and I use a local account instead of a Microsoft one if that makes a difference. I also used the "slmgr /dli" in CMD and found I have a retail license.

If you currently signed in with a Microsoft account, your license key follow you between installations. In most cases, you will have the option to reactivate your license after signing in, see https://www.windowscentral.com/how-re-activate-windows-10-after-hardware-change.

If you are not using a Microsoft account, you can use ProduKey from https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html to extract your full license key.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

11 minutes ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

By that do you mean this was a prebuilt PC that came with windows pre-activated? If so, the activation is tied to your motherboard, and replacing it will mean you lose your activation. You won't be able to reuse that code either since it's tied to the specs of the original PC and can't be used on a different device. You'll have no option but to buy a new Windows license. If it's a key you bought yourself, then that's a different story though.

It wasn't a prebuilt, I built her a few years ago and 'acquired' a Windows 7 Pro license key from a source other than Microsoft. Then when the offer to upgrade to Windows 10 arrived I went through the process and now have had Windows 10 Pro installed ever since.

4 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

it should be linked to your microsoft account, so as long as you bought that key then yes

I do not have a Microsoft account for this PC, just a local one.

3 minutes ago, PorkishPig said:

If you are not using a Microsoft account, you can use ProduKey from https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html to extract your full license key.

I'll look into that, though it does seem a little sketchy having to download something to my computer to view my key. But that might just be me being paranoid.

29 minutes ago, Stylized_Violence said:

I do not have a Microsoft account for this PC, just a local one.

I'll look into that, though it does seem a little sketchy having to download something to my computer to view my key. But that might just be me being paranoid.

I guess pick your poison. Either make a Microsoft Account or use some sketchy piece of software. I know what many users chose. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

-> Moved to Windows

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 11/17/2020 at 1:28 AM, WaggishOhio383 said:

This is incorrect. You can use a win 7 key from any old pc that will work with a completely new pc and win 10, which is essentially what the op wants to do. 

Also in case this really doesn't work (due to a bug) OP can call Microsoft CS, as long they have the original win 7 or 10 license Microsoft *will* activate the new PC with online activation at no additional cost whatsoever. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 11/17/2020 at 2:13 AM, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I guess pick your poison. Either make a Microsoft Account or use some sketchy piece of software. I know what many users chose. 

wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey

is sketchy now? 😂 

FYI this will find the original product key, which is all you need for reactivation through Microsoft, afaik. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

You have over 900 posts on this forum and you never saw answer to your question before? :)

3 hours ago, homeap5 said:

You have over 900 posts on this forum and you never saw answer to your question before? :)

I found like a dozen threads similar to mine, though I've gotten mixed answers depending on people's specific situations. If this were a prebuilt or something that was officially bought online, the answer is simpler. But I wasn't exactly sure how this would impact my situation because I'm a holdover from Windows 7, and the key was acquired through non official means. Just wanted to be extra sure with the community, that's all.

3 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey

is sketchy now? 😂 

FYI this will find the original product key, which is all you need for reactivation through Microsoft, afaik. 

Is there a command that can display that information? Like, I just feel a bit odd downloading software to do something that simple. Or is that a command I can do in CMD? Sorry, I'm pretty dense when it comes to this stuff.

3 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

This is incorrect. You can use a win 7 key from any old pc that will work with a completely new pc and win 10, which is essentially what the op wants to do. 

Also in case this really doesn't work (due to a bug) OP can call Microsoft CS, as long they have the original win 7 or 10 license Microsoft *will* activate the new PC with online activation at no additional cost whatsoever. 

The bug part of that is exactly why I'm hesitant. The Windows 7 license I started out with may or may not be official, and while Windows says its activated I just wasn't sure what the best approach would be since I don't wish to purchase a brand new license.