GTX 1070 vs 1660 Super in 2020?

My eldest son wants a PS5 for xmas, I've got one ordered. My youngest son then decided he wanted a PS5 too and I was planning to order another one on the 19th which is when retailers are supposedly getting the next stock refresh.

Now my youngest who already has consoles says he would rather have a PC so he can run emulators and mods like CEMU (he aready has an xbox one and a Switch) and he'll want to capture gameplay also.

So I have started planning a gaming build for roughly PS5 cost. It'll likely end up a bit more than a PS5 but that's fine.

It's an easy task to put together a build up until the point of adding a GPU. If I'm buying a new part then the 1660 Super at around £220 seems like the best option however I am aware than I can get a GTX 1070 on ebay for less than that probably between £150 to £200 and as far as I'm aware the 1070 will outperform the 1660S in pretty much every scenario.

My Question to you: Aside from the new versus used debate (I know the risks with buying used) is there any reason why a 1660 Super would be a better choice for this rig than a 1070?

Side note: He'll probaby want upgrades in a year or so anyway so this doesn't have to last multiple years.

The other parts willl most likely be:

a ryzen 3 3100 with stock cooler

a B450 motherboard

1tb 2.5 inch SSD

16gb 3000MHz ram

a 400w to 500w PSU

fractal meshify C

HP 24 inch 60hz IPS monitor

Just now, HD1 star wars said:

the only differences I could think of would be nvenc and better power consumption

which one would you go for, I'm leaning towards 1070 personally but not sure?

Just now, Shabba said:

which one would you go for, I'm leaning towards 1070 personally but not sure?

probably the 1070 it is cheaper and you can use the spear money for something else

Depends on price, also a new card has warranty, whereas a used one barely has... Both cards should perform comparably however. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1660 super for gaming and streaming/recording. (because of nvenc)

1070 if you only care about gaming and not streaming/recording.

that isnt to say you cant use the gtx 1070 encoder.. the 1660 just has a better one..

6 minutes ago, GoodEnough said:

1660 super for gaming and streaming/recording. (because of nvenc)

1070 if you only care about gaming and not streaming/recording.

that isnt to say you cant use the gtx 1070 encoder.. the 1660 just has a better one..

I'd say gaming and recording gameplay are the focus, not so much streaming.

The gaming benchmarks I have seen seem to favor the 1070 for out and out FPS and my assumption was the extra 2GB of vram it has would also help with the gameplay recording too but perhaps the 1660S superioir encoding is worth more than that extra vram?

4 minutes ago, Shabba said:

I'd say gaming and recording gameplay are the focus, not so much streaming.

The gaming benchmarks I have seen seem to favor the 1070 for out and out FPS and my assumption was the extra 2GB of vram it has would also help with the gameplay recording too but perhaps the 1660S superioir encoding is worth more than that extra vram?

vram only matters when running games in high resolutions, for example, 1800p and 2160p. but you as long as you play in 1080p and 1440p its generally irrelevant.

the 1660 super encoders quality is equal that of the medium cpu preset in obs, which brings my ryzen 5 2600 to its knees, even when overclocked to 4ghz it uses 85 or 90% of my cpu.

and i dont think your ryzen 3 3100 can handle recording at that quality.. unless you like.. turn into some kind of magic man and make it run better then my 6 core cpu..

1 minute ago, GoodEnough said:

vram only matters when running games in high resolutions, for example, 1800p and 2160p. but you as long as you play in 1080p and 1440p its generally irrelevant.

the 1660 super encoders quality is equal that of the medium cpu preset in obs, which brings my ryzen 5 2600 to its knees, even when overclocked to 4ghz it uses 85 or 90% of my cpu.

and i dont think your ryzen 3 3100 can handle recording at that quality.. unless you like.. turn into some kind of magic man and make it run better then my 6 core cpu..

lol magic man... funnily enough I did quite a bit of gameplay capture on my 2600X oc to 4.150 on all cores and simply using the Radeon ReLive capture software was able to capture 1080 gameplay in 4K encoding with little to no effect on in game performance.

Recording gameplay uses NVENC as well, so even though he won't be streaming, the better NVENC encoder on it can make a small difference.

That being said, the NVENC on the 1070 is not terrible, it's only a little bit worse than the one in Turing GPUs (specifically the 1650 Super and up).  The 1070 will outperform the 1660s, and have more VRAM.

Here's a random youtube video I uploaded with Shadowplay recording on my 1070 (Shadowplay uses the NVENC encoder).  Almost everything on my channel was recorded with the 1070, but I recently upgraded to a 3080 and have not uploaded anything with it yet.

If you're happy with the quality then go for the 1070, if not then the 1660s.  Do note Youtube also further compresses the video, but that will also be true no matter what.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

1070 doesn't outright beat 1660S across the board. In older games 1070 should almost always win. In stuff released the last couple of years sometimes 1660S creeps up to near 1070 Ti performance levels, sometimes 1070 still maintains a decent lead over 1660S.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-geforce-gtx-1660-super-gaming-x/

10 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

1070 doesn't outright beat 1660S across the board. In older games 1070 should almost always win. In stuff released the last couple of years sometimes 1660S creeps up to near 1070 Ti performance levels, sometimes 1070 still maintains a decent lead over 1660S.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-geforce-gtx-1660-super-gaming-x/

I suppose if they were the same price it would be the 1660S but with the 1070 running anything from about £30 to £70 cheaper it could be the most sensible choice, especially if he's going to want an upgrade after a year or so.

With that being said, if I wait and see if there are any 1660 Super or Ti deals on black friday that could be the best option

4 hours ago, Shabba said:

My eldest son wants a PS5 for xmas, I've got one ordered. My youngest son then decided he wanted a PS5 too and I was planning to order another one on the 19th which is when retailers are supposedly getting the next stock refresh.

Now my youngest who already has consoles says he would rather have a PC so he can run emulators and mods like CEMU (he aready has an xbox one and a Switch) and he'll want to capture gameplay also.

So I have started planning a gaming build for roughly PS5 cost. It'll likely end up a bit more than a PS5 but that's fine.

It's an easy task to put together a build up until the point of adding a GPU. If I'm buying a new part then the 1660 Super at around £220 seems like the best option however I am aware than I can get a GTX 1070 on ebay for less than that probably between £150 to £200 and as far as I'm aware the 1070 will outperform the 1660S in pretty much every scenario.

My Question to you: Aside from the new versus used debate (I know the risks with buying used) is there any reason why a 1660 Super would be a better choice for this rig than a 1070?

Side note: He'll probaby want upgrades in a year or so anyway so this doesn't have to last multiple years.

The other parts willl most likely be:

a ryzen 3 3100 with stock cooler

a B450 motherboard

1tb 2.5 inch SSD

16gb 3000MHz ram

a 400w to 500w PSU

fractal meshify C

HP 24 inch 60hz IPS monitor

its a tie, the gtx 1070 would get 3-15 more fps in some scenarios (for gaming). the gtx 1660 super or gtx 1660 ti works well with new games as it is good with DirectX 12 API, and many new games of late 2020 and and even the mid 2019 have direct x 12 support (e-sports games also do) , so if you are playing new games, buy the gtx 1660 super or Ti, or if you dont want that extra fps with the newer api, the gtx 1070 is the way to go. the gtx 1660s and ti with last longer due to its newer release dates, but in this text, it says for around 1 year, so both of them should be fine. if streaming games or recording them for some social media, then gtx 1660s and ti have NVENC support which is better than the h264 in the gtx 1070, so if streaming, the 1660s and 1660ti is good! oh, and i forgot to mention that the turing (the architecture) gtx 1660s and ti cards are power efficient than the old pascal (the architecture) gtx 1070! 

hey! i know to use a computer

1 hour ago, hirusha.adikari said:

its a tie, the gtx 1070 would get 3-15 more fps in some scenarios (for gaming). the gtx 1660 super or gtx 1660 ti works well with new games as it is good with DirectX 12 API, and many new games of late 2020 and and even the mid 2019 have direct x 12 support (e-sports games also do) , so if you are playing new games, buy the gtx 1660 super or Ti, or if you dont want that extra fps with the newer api, the gtx 1070 is the way to go. the gtx 1660s and ti with last longer due to its newer release dates, but in this text, it says for around 1 year, so both of them should be fine. if streaming games or recording them for some social media, then gtx 1660s and ti have NVENC support which is better than the h264 in the gtx 1070, so if streaming, the 1660s and 1660ti is good! oh, and i forgot to mention that the turing (the architecture) gtx 1660s and ti cards are power efficient than the old pascal (the architecture) gtx 1070! 

to be honest if he cared about getting better performance in dx12 and vulkan games he would go vega 56 instead of 1070 and 1660 since it beats those cards in dx 12 and vulkan games.

3 hours ago, Shabba said:

I suppose if they were the same price it would be the 1660S but with the 1070 running anything from about £30 to £70 cheaper it could be the most sensible choice, especially if he's going to want an upgrade after a year or so.

With that being said, if I wait and see if there are any 1660 Super or Ti deals on black friday that could be the best option

I got a 1070ti for just under £200 on eBay a few months back, they were going for £180-£230 pretty consistently.