Is It Possible To Create Your Own AdBlocker?

Ever since my last post here, I was trying to determine why I was having issues with the AdGuard browser extension & why it wouldn’t display certain images properly in the browsers I use. I only received a few responses from AdGuard support. We tried some troubleshooting, but that didn’t really get me very far. They did however assure me that they will look further into the issue, but I honestly have the feeling I won’t hear anything else from them. And the post I made on their forum only got 1 response which wasn’t much help at all & that was it. I haven’t seen or heard anything else. So, “Where does that leave you?” you might ask. In a difficult position to say the least. :/

TBH, I’ve been a bit angry that I haven’t gotten more help regarding this, but I’m not trying to take it personally; I’m just really frustrated about the whole ordeal. But after thinking it over in my mind, I actually had an inspiration: Is it possible for someone to create their own adblocker? [Not a program, just a browser extension & how difficult would it be for someone who has had no experience with coding or even creating a piece of software, etc.?] 🤔 BTW, I would very much appreciate it if anyone could forward this topic to someone on the LTT/LMG team as I do think this would be a very great idea for a video they could do! 👍

Well, I think by now you guys know the drill: If you have anything to say, wish to ask, or need to know, just go right ahead & I’ll be sure to provide you with all the necessary details! Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help! :) 

Have you looked at other ad blockers to see if they solve your problem?

You can look at open source ad blockers like ublock orgin.

But if you haven't coded before, its not gonna be easy, and take a lot of learning and work.

Somehow I am sort of confused how you went form "I am unhappy with the experience of this software" to "I'll go ahead and make my own adblocker without any experience in coding".

I feel like there are steps inbetween, like using a different adblocker (uBlock Origin is my go to).

Making your own list of blocked domains - or rather extending what is out there already - and importing that into an adblocker makes a lot more sense than coding an entire adblocker from scratch. Why reinvent the wheel? Just use what is out there already.

Coding a blocker of certain things is 'easy', just make something to block requests from certain domains, ez.

Fully making it work, fixing false-positives, making your adblocker work with certain requests, while blocking others.. etc. Quite a bit harder.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Have you looked at other ad blockers to see if they solve your problem?

You can look at open source ad blockers like ublock orgin.

But if you haven't coded before, its not gonna be easy, and take a lot of learning and work.

I am willing to give it a try even though I have never actually done it before. And to be clear, yes, I have tried other adblockers before, but it just seems like I haven't been able to find the right 1 ever since my issue with AdGuard which is why I won't be using them for a while.

1 minute ago, Kjennings92 said:

I am willing to give it a try even though I have never actually done it before. And to be clear, yes, I have tried other adblockers before, but it just seems like I haven't been able to find the right 1 ever since my issue with AdGuard which is why I won't be using them for a while.

install ublock orgin and see if it has the same issues.

If if you pay, there support is the best option, but they probably don't care about a single user too much.

4 minutes ago, minibois said:

Somehow I am sort of confused how you went form "I am unhappy with the experience of this software" to "I'll go ahead and make my own adblocker without any experience in coding".

I feel like there are steps inbetween, like using a different adblocker (uBlock Origin is my go to).

Making your own list of blocked domains - or rather extending what is out there already - and importing that into an adblocker makes a lot more sense than coding an entire adblocker from scratch. Why reinvent the wheel? Just use what is out there already.

Coding a blocker of certain things is 'easy', just make something to block requests from certain domains, ez.

Fully making it work, fixing false-positives, making your adblocker work with certain requests, while blocking others.. etc. Quite a bit harder.

Well, long story short, I'm not exactly sure what to think of AdGuard anymore ever since I experienced the issue that I had with their extension. And in the past I remember that I didn't have this issue with them before. (So I'm not sure if it's user-error on my part even though I've learned some things over the years.) But it has made me reconsider my options for adblocking. Hopefully, this might somehow clarify the confusion on your part. :)

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

install ublock orgin and see if it has the same issues.

If if you pay, there support is the best option, but they probably don't care about a single user too much.

I have tried ublock origin in the past, but I'm not really all that crazy about their user interface. For me, it's just far too cluttered & could be a bit better IMO.

Can you? Yes. You will however need to learn programming before doing so.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

5 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

Can you? Yes. You will however need to learn programming before doing so.

Well, at least that's more of a direct answer. Any quick, free & easy guides that should be of help?

I do coding. I code in basic, java and c. It took me years to be any good at those languages. All i can say is start studdying c and the windows api and give yourself the time to create loads of mini projects before trying anything like an ad blocker. And im not being bad by saying this. It is literally going to take you years of study before you will be ready to write one.

4 minutes ago, Kjennings92 said:

Well, at least that's more of a direct answer. Any quick, free & easy guides that should be of help?

It’s not something you can learn “quick and easy”, unfortunately. It’s something that will take you at least a year or so to learn the fundamentals of and many more years to fully grasp and execute.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

3 minutes ago, Digideath said:

I do coding. I code in basic, java and c. It took me years to be any good at those languages. All i can say is start studdying c and the windows api and give yourself the time to create loads of mini projects before trying anything like an ad blocker. And im not being bad by saying this. It is literally going to take you years of study before you will be ready to write one.

1 minute ago, Vitamanic said:

It’s not something you can learn “quick and easy”, unfortunately. It’s something that will take you at least a year or so to learn the fundamentals of and many more years to fully grasp and execute.

So I guess it varies from person to person as to how long it takes you, huh? Also, should I really start with coding in C if all I really wish to do is build my own adblocking extension for a browser? Just curious.

1 minute ago, Kjennings92 said:

Also, should I really start with coding in C if all I really wish to do is build my own adblocking extension for a browser? Just curious.

Waste of time. I'm sure you can solve whatever minor problem you're facing if you do a little googling.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Just now, Kjennings92 said:

So I guess it varies from person to person as to how long it takes you, huh? Also, should I really start with coding in C if all I really wish to do is build my own adblocking extension for a browser? Just curious.

Yep. Because you have to access the browser extensions and the windows api. That's normally done through c.

3 minutes ago, Digideath said:

Yep. Because you have to access the browser extensions and the windows api. That's normally done through c.

Hm, I see your point. I guess it's worth looking into & hopefully I might get good at it, but time will tell on that 1. Thank you very much everyone! :D Wish me luck...

26 minutes ago, Kjennings92 said:

Well, long story short, I'm not exactly sure what to think of AdGuard anymore ever since I experienced the issue that I had with their extension. And in the past I remember that I didn't have this issue with them before. (So I'm not sure if it's user-error on my part even though I've learned some things over the years.) But it has made me reconsider my options for adblocking. Hopefully, this might somehow clarify the confusion on your part. :)

I'm not sure why, but it seems like you're being intentionally as non-descriptive as possible and ignoring parts to find an easy answer.

Avoiding naming the issue you're facing, ignoring the above comments made about what you have to think about when designing an ad-blocker (the comment about false-positives for example).

If you want to do this project, just do the project.

But I would highly recommend considering going for a well-established code base already and extend that, instead of re-inventing the established.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 hour ago, Kjennings92 said:

I have tried ublock origin in the past, but I'm not really all that crazy about their user interface. For me, it's just far too cluttered & could be a bit better IMO.

what's wrong with this ?
image.png.7a1a7837dfb40385e258479b1e8f642a.png

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

56 minutes ago, minibois said:

I'm not sure why, but it seems like you're being intentionally as non-descriptive as possible and ignoring parts to find an easy answer.

Avoiding naming the issue you're facing, ignoring the above comments made about what you have to think about when designing an ad-blocker (the comment about false-positives for example).

If you want to do this project, just do the project.

But I would highly recommend considering going for a well-established code base already and extend that, instead of re-inventing the established.

You can always just go back & view the last couple posts I made. It's not like I'm intentionally avoiding the issue itself; I'm just trying to find a better solution. And I AM serious in case you seem to have any doubts. O.o 

23 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

what's wrong with this ?
image.png.7a1a7837dfb40385e258479b1e8f642a.png

It's not their drop-down menu I have a problem with; I just think once you get into the settings & all that, they have too many options to confuse even a simple-minded person who hasn't had experience with adblockers. Hope this makes my point clear.

2 hours ago, Kjennings92 said:

adblockers

try a paid version rather then the free versions before you start wasting precious time on coding your own.

5 minutes ago, Orange1 said:

try a paid version rather then the free versions before you start wasting precious time on coding your own.

I would go paid if that was an option, but for me it isn't due to being unemployed. Try to understand.

Just now, Kjennings92 said:

I would go paid if that was an option, but for me it isn't due to being unemployed. Try to understand.

I don't think it would cost that much, I was figuring a few bucks a month, the cost of a coffee or burger.

2 hours ago, Kjennings92 said:

You're asking for a "quick and easy guide"  to learn to program?

That's like asking for a quick and easy guide to learn to be an electrician.

You're not understanding what is involved here. This is not just a "project" that you can pick up and work on.

Take everyone's advice and try to find a solution to whatever minor problem you are having.

If you want to learn to program in general that's great and there are endless resources to help. It can make for a good career too.

And in case this is a troll post well played.

23 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

You're asking for a "quick and easy guide"  to learn to program?

That's like asking for a quick and easy guide to learn to be an electrician.

You're not understanding what is involved here. This is not just a "project" that you can pick up and work on.

Take everyone's advice and try to find a solution to whatever minor problem you are having.

And in this this is a troll post well played.

I'm NOT a troll. No need to be so rude about it.