Fractal Design Case

woody30

Hi,

I have a computer I just built that has a Asus b550 f gaming wifi motherboard, amd ryzen 7 3800x 105w tdp, I plan on getting the noctua nhd15s chromax, corsair vengeance rgb pro RAM, 500gb m.2 ssd, Nvidia GeForce 2060 super 8gb graphics card. I'm thinking about buying a Fractal Design 7 compact case or meshify C. How warm would my stuff run in these cases and which one should I get?  Thanks for help.

The meshify C is definitely a better choice for cooling, as far as cases go its pretty decent and will cool just fine.  However, the other case I would say is generally below average for cooling. I would definitely recommend the meshify out of the two.

Meshify c is direct airflow but fractal design 7 isn’t so one would assume more airflow from meshify.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

13 minutes ago, billybobwhitestick said:

Get the Meshify C.

It's 2020, we shouldn't be using anything other than airflow optimized cases IMO.

There can be air quality reasons.  Airflow optimized often means painted steel front panel with a lot of surface area.  There was a guy with a steel mesh front case that lived on the beach who had case rust issues due to salt air and a lot of steel surface area (lots of holes make lots of surface area)  A case with angled air can also have a more effective dust filter on it.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

8 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

There can be air quality reasons.  Airflow optimized often means painted steel front panel with a lot of surface area.  There was a guy with a steel mesh front case that lived on the beach who had case rust issues due to salt air and a lot of steel surface area (lots of holes make lots of surface area)  A case with angled air can also have a more effective dust filter on it.

That's fair, but nevertheless, for the vast majority of people AFO is the way to go.

I have a Mesify C with a 9900k @ 5ghz ~230W that loves to run at like 85C under load with a DRP4 (~1.38V) and a 980Ti space heater pulling like 300w and a bunch of HDD's and shit in it probably over 600W in heat being dissipated in it and it handles it great with 2 fans at the front and 2 at the top and one exhaust. It's a beautiful case too and very well made and the cable management is awesome.

Entertainment PC ~ 9900k - 32gb Ripjaws V CL16 - Aorus Pro Wifi - DRP4 - 240GB Intel SSD - 6TB Conventional HD's - Corsair RM850x - Fractal Mesify C in White - EVGA GTX 980Ti SC

Displays ~ Lenovo g34w-10 (Main) - BenQ XL2540 (Gaming) - 32" Acer ET322QR (For Laptop) - BenQ XL2411 (Backup / In storage) - Vivo STAND-V001JB & STAND-V001T

Peripherals ~ Corsair K68 RGB MX Red - BFO9000 (in progress) - Logitech G900 - Blue Snowball - Bose QC 35 II

Laptop ~ Asus a17 4800H / 16GB / 1TB NVME / 1660Ti / 120hz w/

Second PC ~ i5 8400 / 16GB Ripjaws V CL18 / MSI z370 A-Pro 

Productivity Other ~ Macbook Air 2015 model - Macbook Pro 17" (2011) - iPad Pro 2015 Model w/ Pencil w/ Otterbox Hardcase - Toshiba Satellite S50-D 

Networking ~ Fk off

Bio - Literal Retarded Autist

Hi,

I just recently built me a computer and already considering a change in the PC case because I want to put this under a desk and not stick out like my current case does. I don't plan to do any over clocking but I do want to play iRacing. The specs of my current build is CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800x 105Watt TDP, CPU Cooler: Noctua Chromax NH-D15S, Case: Corsair Carbide 678C, Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B550 F Gaming(Wifi) ATX, RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, and corsair RM850 power supply, 8GB Nvidia Geforce 2060 Super. The case I'm considering is the Fractal Design 7 Compact and was wondering about the thermals and how it would perform with this hardware. Would the power supply fit in the case as well?

Thanks for help

5 minutes ago, woody30 said:

as wondering about the thermals and how it would perform with this hardware

Just make sure to add fans, this case is well designed and you should be able to get good air flow from it. I believe you can remove the top cover and just have the vents for even better airflow.

For compatibility, I don't see any obvious problems. The NH-D15S is just shy of 169mm, and assuming you have a Founder's Edition 2060 Super (229 mm long), that'll fit as well. 

As for thermals, if you're looking for a thermal improvement over the Corsair Carbide 678C, I doubt you'll find it. Both cases have impermeable front panels, and pretty similar default fan configurations. That being said, I don't think that'll cause major problems for your system, since the NH-D15S is a good cooler. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

2 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

Just make sure to add fans, this case is well designed and you should be able to get good air flow from it. I believe you can remove the top cover and just have the vents for even better airflow.

I don't think that's necessarily true. As Gamer's Nexus has pointed out, having more fans doesn't help your cooling if the case doesn't have good ventilation in the first place. Slits on the side of the front panel are better than nothing, but you're always going to get the best performance with a slit or mesh front panel, with appropriate filtration. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

9 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

but you're always going to get the best performance with a slit or mesh front panel, with appropriate filtration. 

As I pointed out, and as stated on Fractal's website, the top cover can be removed, so you could pull air in from above, then exhaust out the back. Of course if the OP is interested in an AIO loop this would then be a case to stay away from.

Just now, RAM555789 said:

As I pointed out, and as stated on Fractal's website, the top cover can be removed, so you could pull air in from above, then exhaust out the back. Of course if the OP is interested in an AIO loop this would then be a case to stay away from.

...But why would you buy a case where you have to remove parts from it just so it cools adequately? 

Main PC:

Peripherals/Other:

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

3 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

Is the fractal design meshify c the same as the 7 compact as far as length wise the length of hole I'm putting in allows for 20" long case but I'm wanting it to be more inside like 16 at max 18" long. and yes I have the silver Nvidia two fan 2060 super graphics card with geforce rtx logo. Would you know why the fans are idling at 1500 rpm on that graphics card even when not gaming.

28 minutes ago, woody30 said:

Would you know why the fans are idling at 1500 rpm on that graphics card even when not gaming.

What temps are you getting and have you tried reconfiguring your fan curve?

33 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

But why would you buy a case where you have to remove parts from it just so it cools adequately? 

Because having a case with modular design allows you to reach more customers. Not everyone is looking to overclock their parts and so full mesh might create more dust for people who don't need that much airflow. Unless the OP is actually looking to overclock he won't have to worry above adjusting anything anyway which is another big point. If he is or is not overclocking kind of puts a big impact of how much he needs to worry about thermals.

23 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

Because having a case with modular design allows you to reach more customers. Not everyone is looking to overclock their parts and so full mesh might create more dust for people who don't need that much airflow. Unless the OP is actually looking to overclock he won't have to worry above adjusting anything anyway which is another big point. If he is or is not overclocking kind of puts a big impact of how much he needs to worry about thermals.

I have a report from where I logged my temps using HWINFO64 after installing a second 140mm non rgb corsair fan in the front, this is with 2 intakes and 1 up top and 1 in back. I logged temps for 30 minutes this is just idling and watching youtube and hulu through microsoft edge. I don't know how to adjust fan curve.

NewFanInstall.CSV

the op has crated many posts about the same thing instead of keep it all in one post.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

17 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

the op has crated many posts about the same thing instead of keep it all in one post.

sorry I'll try to organize it better

Just now, woody30 said:

sorry I'll try to organize it better

thx

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

-Topics Merged-

Also Author,

13 hours ago, woody30 said:

The case I'm considering is the Fractal Design 7 Compact

13 hours ago, woody30 said:

Is the fractal design meshify c the same as the 7 compact as far as length wise the length of hole I'm putting in allows for 20" long case but I'm wanting it to be more inside like 16 at max 18" long.

Yes, BUT you should waiting until November 11th, as Fractal Design is teasing a new Meshify Case (at least one, but I'm hoping for more) which MAY include a Fractal Design Meshify 7 Compact to replace the Meshify C. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

8 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

-Topics Merged-

Also Author,

Yes, BUT you should waiting until November 11th, as Fractal Design is teasing a new Meshify Case (at least one, but I'm hoping for more) which MAY include a Fractal Design Meshify 7 Compact to replace the Meshify C. 

ok thanks for letting me know I'll wait and see what they come out with.