Wait for RTX 3080 for G-Sync or just buy RX 6800 RT?

Actual_Criminal

I have a 240Hz G-Sync 1ms monitor and I thought the purpose of G-Sync is that it allows you to play at really high refresh rates without tearing. - I needed a new GPU so was going to buy an RTX 3080 but out of stock everywhere.

I have never had an AMD graphics card before, so thinking of buying the RX 6800 RT instead as it's:

-Cheaper

-Will be in stock (main reason)

-Will pair well with my planned 5950X

The only thing putting me off is that I won't be able to use G-Sync. I instead get to use 'AMD's Freesync' but I have no idea how this works other than it's similar but inferior to G-Sync... I just want to play competitive games at super high-refresh rates and low input lag (1ms) how will AMD's Freesync affect this as G-Sync had little to no lag.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 16-core 5950X

CPU Cooler: Artic Freezer 2 AIO 360mm Radiator

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming

Memory: 32GB (2x16GB) G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600 MHz CL16

GPU: Nvidia RTX 4080 MSI Ventus 3X 16GB GDDR6X

Storage OS: 500GB Samsung 980 Pro Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD

Storage Games: 2TB Corsair MP600 Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD + 2TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD + 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD

Storage Misc: 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute 7200 RPM

PSU: Corsair HX Platinum 1000W 80+

Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower

Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz 1ms 3440p (widescreen) HDR400 OLED panel 34"  + Asus PG258Q 240Hz 1ms 1080p G-Sync TN panel 24.5"

what model of monitor do you have

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Fasauceome said:

what model of monitor do you have

I'll be buying a Samsung G7 Odyssey soon.

Storage Games: 2TB Corsair MP600 Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD + 2TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD + 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD

Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz 1ms 3440p (widescreen) HDR400 OLED panel 34"  + Asus PG258Q 240Hz 1ms 1080p G-Sync TN panel 24.5"

10 minutes ago, Actual_Criminal said:

AMD's Freesync'

Most Gsync monitors are not compatible with that. 

Edit: I see the one you want to buy is tho. 

10 minutes ago, Actual_Criminal said:

input lag (1ms

Physically impossible, lowest input lag measured ever was like 5 or 6ms and I doubt you have the right hardware for that (not only but especially for measuring) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Actual_Criminal said:

I'll be buying a Samsung G7 Odyssey soon.

compatible

https://hothardware.com/news/samsung-odyssey-g9-g7-240hz-gaming-monitors-preorder

The 49-inch model also touts a 5120x1440 resolution. It is built for gaming with a fast 240Hz refresh rate and low 1ms response time (gray-to-gray), along with being a FreeSync Premium Pro monitor that is G-Sync Compatible to boot.

so the monitor has Freesync, and it is marketed as "Gsync compatible" which means it's up to nvidia's standards of vrr as well.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

5 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Most Gsync monitors are not compatible with that. 

Edit: I see the one you want to buy is tho. 

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

compatible

https://hothardware.com/news/samsung-odyssey-g9-g7-240hz-gaming-monitors-preorder

so the monitor has Freesync, and it is marketed as "Gsync compatible" which means it's up to nvidia's standards of vrr as well.

Yes but even if it has Freesync, what does this actually mean??? It's still inferior to G-Sync though and I need an Nvidia graphics card right?

4 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

/news/samsung-odyssey-g9-g7-240hz-gaming-monitors-preorder

Also, i'll be buying the 1440p G7 model, not the 49' G9.

1 minute ago, Actual_Criminal said:

Yes but even if it has Freesync, what does this actually mean??? It's still inferior to G-Sync though and I need an Nvidia graphics card right?

why do you think it is inferior to G sync? and why do you think you need an nvidia GPU to use freesync?

Just now, Actual_Criminal said:

Also, i'll be buying the 1440p G7 model, not the 49' G9.

I believe they use the same.

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

why do you think it is inferior to G sync?

I have heard that AMD's FreeSync causes drastically more lag on games than G-Sync. - This is a big no for me playing FPS games.

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

and why do you think you need an nvidia GPU to use freesync?

No, I mean I need an Nvidia GPU to use G-Sync.

8 minutes ago, Actual_Criminal said:

No, I mean I need an Nvidia GPU to use G-Sync.

when a monitor uses Freesync and is denoted as "Gsync compatible," that means it is up to the Gsync standard and works with both Nvidia and AMD cards by default.

Currently using a Gsync compatible Freesync monitor for my gaming rig.

Primary PC:

38 minutes ago, Actual_Criminal said:

It works with Freesync and Gsync, that's actually the best option because in case you got sick of AMD want to change GPU brands you don't need to buy a new monitor. 

Note: I have no idea how good this monitor is 

PS: now I do, obviously not very 

Samsung's Odyssey G7 should be the ultimate gaming monitor, but its G-Sync flickering issue holds it back.”

Excellent color reproduction

Beautiful design

Great curve for gaming immersion

Fast 240Hz refresh rate

Broken adaptive sync

Low static contrast performance

Curve off-center

Would get this for under 50 bucks maybe otherwise hell no. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

6 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

It works with Freesync and Gsync, that's actually the best option because in case you got sick of AMD want to change GPU brands you don't need to buy a new monitor. 

Note: I have no idea how good this monitor is 

PS: now I do, obviously not very 

Would get this for under 50 bucks maybe otherwise hell no. 

The monitor has tons of positive reviews from what i've seen. - it's the G9 with issues.

3 minutes ago, Actual_Criminal said:

The monitor has tons of positive reviews from what i've seen. - it's the G9 with issues.

That very clearly says G7 tho. 

Especially if you care about Gsync / freesync this is a really bad choice when you already know beforehand hand it's *broken*

I would never get this monitor. 

Unless for 50 to laugh at it... 😂

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

19 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

That very clearly says G7 tho. 

Especially if you care about Gsync / freesync this is a really bad choice when you already know beforehand hand it's *broken*

I would never get this monitor. 

Unless for 50 to laugh at it... 😂

Just did some quick search and literally tons of review are positive. A lot less negative than positive... Hell even Linus has done a positive review of the monitor! 😂

The Samsung Odyssey G7 is amazing for gaming. It has a native 240Hz refresh rate, FreeSync support, and it's compatible with NVIDIA's G-SYNC. The response time at its max refresh rate and at 60Hz are both outstanding, resulting in minimal blur. Its narrow viewing angles make it less ideal for co-op gaming, but luckily, it displays deep blacks if you want to game in the dark. We received reports of the backlight flickering with VRR enabled, but we didn't notice any flicker; rather the screen dims when a certain image is displayed full-screen.

PROS
  • Outstanding response time.
  • Native FreeSync support and it's G-SYNC compatible.
  • Great contrast ratio.
  • Incredibly low input lag.
CONS
  • Narrow viewing angles.

I guess it shouldn't really matter for you though as you only have a GTX 1060. Take your salt elsewhere lol.

A lot more negative than positive

Take your salt elsewhere lol.

Lmfao, good luck... I guess. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Actual_Criminal said:

I have a 240Hz G-Sync 1ms monitor and I thought the purpose of G-Sync is that it allows you to play at really high refresh rates without tearing. - I needed a new GPU so was going to buy an RTX 3080 but out of stock everywhere.

I have never had an AMD graphics card before, so thinking of buying the RX 6800 RT instead as it's:

-Cheaper

-Will be in stock (main reason)

-Will pair well with my planned 5950X

The only thing putting me off is that I won't be able to use G-Sync. I instead get to use 'AMD's Freesync' but I have no idea how this works other than it's similar but inferior to G-Sync... I just want to play competitive games at super high-refresh rates and low input lag (1ms) how will AMD's Freesync affect this as G-Sync had little to no lag.

Here is what ASUS says about it. https://www.asus.com/US/support/FAQ/1039463

1. G-SYNC/G-SYNC Compatible/G-SYNC Ultimate Functional comparison:

G-SYNC : Delivers an amazing experience with no tearing, stutter, or input lag. Enthusiasts and pro-level gamers can count on unique technologies like a full variable refresh rate (VRR) range and variable overdrive to eliminate visual artifacts for a pristine image and outstanding gameplay.

G-SYNC Compatible : Doesn’t use NVIDIA processors, but have been validated by NVIDIA to give you a good, basic variable refresh rate (VRR) experience for tear-free, stutter-free gaming experience.

G-SYNC Ultimate : Features the latest NVIDIA G-SYNC processors to deliver the best HDR gaming experience. They’re loaded with all the advanced features you’re looking for - including over 1000 nits brightness, stunning contrast, cinematic color, and ultra-low latency gameplay.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

2 hours ago, Actual_Criminal said:

it used to be but it has had a lot of upgrades since and now with a higher end high refresh rate display it's basically the same...i would wait for reviewers to confirm that it's at least on par with the 3080 in most games and then i would get the AMD card if on stock.

I can't do that cause personally my monitor is a Gsync only monitor with the actual Gsync module in it...so it's THE BEST still BUT it can't drive variable refresh rate with an AMD GPU and never will. So for that alone Freesync is BETTER than Gsync. :)

2 hours ago, Actual_Criminal said:

I have heard that AMD's FreeSync causes drastically more lag on games than G-Sync. - This is a big no for me playing FPS games.

no, that's complete BS, both are just fine.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR