what should you get if you need a nas for about 10-16 people

My friends dad just started a business and he needs a nas i got volunteered to make one but i am not upset about it however the only knowledge i have is that it 10-16 people will access it can someone point me in the right direction?

Hello,

Firstly, is the budget? Will the NAS be accessed from outside the business? would you he need a VPN?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Being a business asset, I'd probably recommend they use an It company to build one for them (unless you run one). Last thing you want is a business's equipment fucking up and being on you 

Either way, depending on the use case a synology type off the shelf unit might be fine, or an enterprise oriented system. People will need more info to help. 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

Well, you gotta give us a little more before we can make an educated decision.

With such little info I'll simply suggest a Synology DS1621+, cause it's a pretty good allrounder at a decent price. Whether it's good enough for your friend's dad's business or not, who knows?

4 minutes ago, the gamer that is bad said:

ok and i don't run one i am just getting into this stuff

Then you should not be the one to decide that I think. Someone needs to administrate the system and you don't want to be the one responsible for losing the companie's data if you don't know what you're doing.

IT 101: First understand the requirements before recommending solutions. Some things to consider for this kind of setup:

1. Budget

2. How much storage space is required

3. What is the usage of the server (working off with large files, centralizing document storage, etc...)

4. What are the security requirements around securing the storage/shares. 

5. What is their data backup and retention requirements for continuity and legal reasons. Do they already have a backup solution?
6. Consider if on-site storage is the best solution, or would they be better paying for a cloud solution. 

7. Who is going to manage it? If they just want you to set it up, depending on complexity then they should also have the configuration documented should they require support from someone. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Id really consider storage like google workplaces or O365. For most business files its a much better solution, much more reliable, less to worry about, and simmilar cost normally. 

Id only go with a nas if speed is a big concern, like if your editing video.

But get someone in that knows IT, this often ends badly when a NAS isn't setup right, and later fails and causes data loss.