How to completely format the Windows drive (C)?

LOD_ismynightmare

I have one drive only that has Windows 10 in it. If I go through the recovery option in Windows, the best one there will delete everything, but it will keep Windows. I want to wipe out everything in the drive including Windows and download it from a flash drive. If I go through the CMD and type diskpart > list disk > disk 0 > clean, I am not sure what this one will do. I also saw people where they don't format their drive from Windows recovery options, they just plug in the flash drive and overwrite Windows, but I want to reset the drive like the a new drive out of the box.

If I'm reading what you're saying right, you want to completely format your C drive, and then reinstall Windows from a USB?

If that's the case, the windows installer will give you an option to completely format a drive before you install Windows on it. Just select custom install, format and delete all the partitions on the drive, and then select to reinstall windows back on that drive and you should be set.

The menu should look like this:

format-c-windows-setup-57c99c105f9b5829f

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

What you can do in these cases is download a bootable partition manager into a USB, boot off it and format the disc.

Here's one you can use. https://www.easeus.com/partition-master/usb-partition-manager.html

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

If I'm reading what you're saying right, you want to completely format your C drive, and then reinstall Windows from a USB?

If that's the case, the windows installer will give you an option to completely format a drive before you install Windows on it. Just select custom install, format and delete all the partitions on the drive, and then select to reinstall windows back on that drive and you should be set.

The menu should look like this:

format-c-windows-setup-57c99c105f9b5829f

Oh yeah, you can just do this.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Just delete and recreate your partition on the partition menu in installation. Instant wipe.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

12 minutes ago, LOD_ismynightmare said:

I have one drive only that has Windows 10 in it. If I go through the recovery option in Windows, the best one there will delete everything, but it will keep Windows. I want to wipe out everything in the drive including Windows and download it from a flash drive. If I go through the CMD and type diskpart > list disk > disk 0 > clean, I am not sure what this one will do. I also saw people where they don't format their drive from Windows recovery options, they just plug in the flash drive and overwrite Windows, but I want to reset the drive like the a new drive out of the box.

You have to boot from the installation flash drive otherwise the C drive is protected against being formatted.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

10 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

You have to boot from the installation flash drive otherwise the C drive is protected against being formatted.

so boot up from a flash drive, but that would overwrite Windows. Isn't there a way to fully delete what is in the drive then bootup from flash drive?

6 minutes ago, LOD_ismynightmare said:

so boot up from a flash drive, but that would overwrite Windows. Isn't there a way to fully delete what is in the drive then bootup from flash drive?

When you boot from the Windows Installer it will give you the option to format the drive before reinstallation happens.

Its impossible for Windows to delete itself while it is running.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

10 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

When you boot from the Windows Installer it will give you the option to format the drive before reinstallation happens.

that's great, was looking for this. 

Just now, LOD_ismynightmare said:

that's great, was looking for this. 

FYI once you boot from the USB you can press Shift+F10 to open command prompt then use the diskpart method you mentioned in the OP if you like or simply use the GUI to delete all existing partitions on the drive then click Next and Windows will automatically handle the repartitioning process itself.

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

FYI once you boot from the USB you can press Shift+F10 to open command prompt then use the diskpart method you mentioned in the OP if you like or simply use the GUI to delete all existing partitions on the drive then click Next and Windows will automatically handle the repartitioning process itself.

thanks, it was great and easy 

Let me understand what you want to do. You have Windows installed on your drive, so you want to delete everything, format your drive and... install Windows? You know that it's basically the same as doing nothing? :) You don't get better or different system that way, so unless you have really hard to fix problems on your current installation that nobody here can solve, I recommend to leave it as is, especially that you're not IT freak (I made that assumption because you asked how to format drive).