AMD to Finalize Acquisition of Xilinx for $35 Billion + Record Q3 2020 Earnings

Deus Voltage
1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

So because it doesn't affect us, it's okay?

I stand by my statement.

Can ARM acquisition affect us end consumers directly? By all means, yes. Can Xilinx acquisition affect us end consumers directly? No, not really. So, there you have it. Only way it can negatively affect us is that AMD makes a stupid investment which forces them into cost cuttings again on CPU's and GPU's, making them bad again. Which is a very far fetched scenario, but possible. The outcry and concern over ARM was very much short term. Coz after NVIDIA bought it, they could quicly start affecting mobile industry. And not necessarily in a positive way. If it doesn't affect us, it's not really relevant and whining over it kinda makes it a silly thing to do. Unless you care about FPGA's directly coz you work with it. Then fine. But 99,99% of normies don't.

Thanks AMD, I didnt want to make any money this week, or during the week you announced zen 3 either. Just keep have to fucking me over with this Xilinx BS. Couldnt have waited a year or something at least, no lets just throw around OVER 1/3rd of our value on an acquisition. At least they didnt pay cash like with ATI

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

3 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

But 99,99% of normies don't.

Right...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Not real money, stock options, which can change in the blink of an eye.

Also, everyone is cheering AMD for this, but nVidia eyes something similar and everyone loses their mind...

nvidia's acquisition has much more broad implications, as they bought a company that designs cpus for mobile, embedded, iot, server, so much more is at stake, melanox is the same thing as they are important to those that want to make more interconnected server clusters, this is amd buying a single fpga manufacturer, the implications are much smaller, 

and for the record i am not in favor of it.

An any case it is interesting that after being a completely separate thing for decades both largest FPGA makers are now owned by CPU manufacturers...

We will hopefully soon see applications that seemed like they would be awesome ideas already 20 years ago.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I like to keep two things in mind with corporations: 

1: “there can be only One” unless a business segment changes through some sort of technology change or other situation the only eventual state of corporatism is single company dominance (or effective monopoly) 

2: corporations by both the current stock ownership structure and laws passed since 1980 are literally legally required to act in the most venal way possible. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.