Graphics Card Trading

HunchoGang

Ok so here is what I got going on. I currently own. Gtx 1650 Low Profile with 4gb of GDDR6 Vram, and I decided to post my card in offerup to see what deals I could get. Then this one guy dmed me and offered me an xfx RX 480 with 8gb of GDDR5 Vram. He also said he would toss in an Xbox Elite Series 2 Controller. Should I take the deal? Does the xfx card get more frames on average than my card? Any help at all is appreciated 👍.

The RX 480 is almost certainly faster, although how much you'd have to find comparison tests. The main selling point of the 1650 was that it didn't necessarily require a power connector to run (depending on exact model, there may be exceptions), where the RX 480 does. Question then would be the relative value between them. No idea what used rates are between them, but if it sounds too good for you, be extra careful.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 minutes ago, porina said:

The RX 480 is almost certainly faster, although how much you'd have to find comparison tests. The main selling point of the 1650 was that it didn't necessarily require a power connector to run (depending on exact model, there may be exceptions), where the RX 480 does. Question then would be the relative value between them. No idea what used rates are between them, but if it sounds too good for you, be extra careful.

I see. He stated that the card was used less than a month, but then again it can be hard to determine truth from lie. Is there anything I can ask of him to ensure that I truly know how long he has actually used the card? Also how is the RX 480 faster than the gtx 1650? Wasn't it made significantly longer ago? Also it has GDDR5. I'm a bit nooby at Graphics cards.

2 minutes ago, HunchoGang said:

I see. He stated that the card was used less than a month, but then again it can be hard to determine truth from lie. Is there anything I can ask of him to ensure that I truly know how long he has actually used the card? Also how is the RX 480 faster than the gtx 1650? Wasn't it made significantly longer ago? Also it has GDDR5. I'm a bit nooby at Graphics cards.

If the guy only had it for a month, then he should still have the original box/packaging just in case he has to return it to the store. Anyone can say, "I only used it for a month and I NEVER used it for mining," this guy sounds like he is trying to pull one on you by throwing in a Xbox controller.

If offerup has buyer protections such as eBay and/or use Paypal, go through those means and never use a debit card for something like that as credit cards have consumer protections so the chance of getting your money back if there is anything wrong with the "working 1 month old" graphics card. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

4 minutes ago, HunchoGang said:

Ask for a copy of his receipt, it should have the date on it. I would assume he or she had the card for way longer than that. There are hardly an of those in stock nowadays. I would not take the deal. If the card was used heavily for mining, it may be a pretty expensive paper weight but nothing more.

2 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

If the guy only had it for a month, then he should still have the original box/packaging just in case he has to return it to the store. Anyone can say, "I only used it for a month and I NEVER used it for mining," this guy sounds like he is trying to pull one on you by throwing in a Xbox controller.

If offerup has buyer protections such as eBay and/or use Paypal, go through those means and never use a debit card for something like that as credit cards have consumer protections so the chance of getting your money back if there is anything wrong with the "working 1 month old" graphics card. 

Ok I'll ask for all this information

If your graphics card is low profile then the replacement has to be too. Can't cram in standard size card.

I edit my posts more often than not

5 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

If your graphics card is low profile then the replacement has to be too. Can't cram in standard size card.

My PC can support any size, I just got a Gtx 1650 low profile for the time being.

1 minute ago, HunchoGang said:

My PC can support any size, I just got a Gtx 1650 low profile for the time being.

What  case allows full size and low profile cards?

Just wondering.

Also I need to know if the RX 480 8gb with gddr5 is actually faster than the gtx 1650 low profile with 4gb if gddr6

Just now, Tan3l6 said:

Just wondering.

A Dell optiplex

Just now, Tan3l6 said:

Just wondering.

The 1650 low profile comes with 2 brackets full size and low profile size.

Just now, jaslion said:

The 1650 low profile comes with 2 brackets full size and low profile size.

Indeed

Just now, HunchoGang said:

Also I need to know if the RX 480 8gb with gddr5 is actually faster than the gtx 1650 low profile with 4gb if gddr6

It is a bit. But can your psu handle it?

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

It is a bit. But can your psu handle it?

I have a 500 w PSU 

Also how is a card with gddr6 slower than a card with gddr5. I'm a bit nooby at cards, but I don't think this should be the case.

4 minutes ago, HunchoGang said:

Also how is a card with gddr6 slower than a card with gddr5. I'm a bit nooby at cards, but I don't think this should be the case.

Well, the benchmarks are the best way to compare/evaluate speeds.

Also depends if graphics RAM is 128-bit, 192-bit or 256-bit.

https://technical.city/en/video/Radeon-RX-480-vs-GeForce-GTX-1650

indicates that RX 480 has 256-bit GDDR5  and GTX 1650 also has GDDR5 but 128-bit.

-Topics Merged-

@HunchoGang pleas refrain from posting duplicate topics about the same subject.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

9 minutes ago, HunchoGang said:

Many many factors lead to the eventual performance of the gpu. The easiest way is to just look at benchmarks (actual benchmarks like games, benchmarking software,... not a random site with theoretical performance or it comparing specs that doesn't work).

34 minutes ago, HunchoGang said:

Used less than a month doesn't necessarily mean it was bought less than a month ago. Given it's age, it is extremely unlikely to be recently bought new.

Performance, again you'd have to look it up. I did have a quick search myself, and there are suggestions confirming the 480 is faster, but how much, is less clear. And none of the places I found I would consider a good reference so I wont link to any of them. The difference is basically a much older but what was then a mid range card, vs something newer but arguably lower down the range.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Yeahm, bit suspicious why would someone choose to swap a card for a slower one.