Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ok so here is what I got going on. I currently own. Gtx 1650 Low Profile with 4gb of GDDR6 Vram, and I decided to post my card in offerup to see what deals I could get. Then this one guy dmed me and offered me an xfx RX 480 with 8gb of GDDR5 Vram. He also said he would toss in an Xbox Elite Series 2 Controller. Should I take the deal? Does the xfx card get more frames on average than my card? Any help at all is appreciated 馃憤.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The RX 480 is almost certainly faster, although how much you'd have to find comparison tests. The main selling point of the 1650 was that it didn't necessarily require a power connector to run (depending on exact model, there may be exceptions), where the RX 480 does. Question then would be the relative value between them. No idea what used rates are between them, but if it sounds too good for you, be extra careful.

Desktop聽Gaming system: Asrock Z370 Pro4, i7-8086k stock, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 4x16GB, Asus Strix 1080Ti, NZXT E850 PSU, Cooler Master MasterBox 5, Optane 900p 280GB, Crucial MX200 1TB, Sandisk 960GB,聽Acer Predator XB241YU 1440p 144Hz G-sync

TV Gaming system: Asus X299 TUF mark 2, 7920X @ 8c8t, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance LPX RGB 3000 8x8GB, EVGA 2080Ti Black, Corsair HX1000i, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB,聽LG OLED55B9PLA

Former聽Main system: Asus Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700k stock, Noctua D14, G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 2x8GB,聽Gigabyte GTX 1650, Corsair HX750i, In Win 303 NVIDIA, Samsung聽SM951 512GB, WD Blue 1TB, HP LP2475W 1200p wide gamut

Gaming laptop: Asus FX503VD, i5-7300HQ, 2x8GB DDR4, GTX 1050, Sandisk 256GB + 480GB SSD

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, porina said:

The RX 480 is almost certainly faster, although how much you'd have to find comparison tests. The main selling point of the 1650 was that it didn't necessarily require a power connector to run (depending on exact model, there may be exceptions), where the RX 480 does. Question then would be the relative value between them. No idea what used rates are between them, but if it sounds too good for you, be extra careful.

I see. He stated that the card was used less than a month, but then again it can be hard to determine truth from lie. Is there anything I can ask of him to ensure that I truly know how long he has actually used the card? Also how is the RX 480 faster than the gtx 1650? Wasn't it made significantly longer ago? Also it has GDDR5. I'm a bit nooby at Graphics cards.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HunchoGang said:

I see. He stated that the card was used less than a month, but then again it can be hard to determine truth from lie. Is there anything I can ask of him to ensure that I truly know how long he has actually used the card? Also how is the RX 480 faster than the gtx 1650? Wasn't it made significantly longer ago? Also it has GDDR5. I'm a bit nooby at Graphics cards.

If the guy only had it for a month, then he should still have the original box/packaging just in case he has to return it to the store. Anyone can say, "I only used it for a month and I NEVER used it for mining," this guy sounds like he is trying to pull one on you by throwing in a Xbox controller.

If offerup has buyer protections such as eBay and/or use Paypal, go through those means and never use a debit card for something like that as credit cards have consumer protections so the chance of getting your money back if there is anything wrong with the "working 1 month old" graphics card.聽

CPU: Intel i9-10980XE 18C/36T聽 | 聽CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler聽| RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3200聽 | Mobo: MSI X299聽Gaming Pro Carbon AC聽 | 聽SSD: Samsung 970聽EVO聽聽1TB聽M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games) 聽| HDD:2X Western Digital聽Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive) 聽| GPU: MSI RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO聽 | 聽PSU: EVGA P2 850W聽 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black聽 | 聽Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB聽 |聽Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with Romer-G Tactile Switches聽 |Mouse Pad: Corsair MM300 Extended 聽| Monitor:聽MSI MAG271CQR 144HZ 27"聽

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, HunchoGang said:

I see. He stated that the card was used less than a month, but then again it can be hard to determine truth from lie. Is there anything I can ask of him to ensure that I truly know how long he has actually used the card? Also how is the RX 480 faster than the gtx 1650? Wasn't it made significantly longer ago? Also it has GDDR5. I'm a bit nooby at Graphics cards.

Ask for a copy of his receipt, it should have the date on it. I would assume he or she had the card for way longer than that. There are hardly an of those in stock nowadays. I would not take the deal. If the card was used heavily for mining, it may be a pretty expensive paper weight but nothing more.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

If the guy only had it for a month, then he should still have the original box/packaging just in case he has to return it to the store. Anyone can say, "I only used it for a month and I NEVER used it for mining," this guy sounds like he is trying to pull one on you by throwing in a Xbox controller.

If offerup has buyer protections such as eBay and/or use Paypal, go through those means and never use a debit card for something like that as credit cards have consumer protections so the chance of getting your money back if there is anything wrong with the "working 1 month old" graphics card.聽

Ok I'll ask for all this information

Link to post
Share on other sites

If your graphics card is low profile then the replacement has to be too. Can't cram in standard size card.

... but I'm no expert

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

If your graphics card is low profile then the replacement has to be too. Can't cram in standard size card.

My PC can support any size, I just got a Gtx 1650 low profile for the time being.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HunchoGang said:

My PC can support any size, I just got a Gtx 1650 low profile for the time being.

What聽 case allows full size and low profile cards?

Just wondering.

... but I'm no expert

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also I need to know if the RX 480 8gb with gddr5 is actually faster than the gtx 1650 low profile with 4gb if gddr6

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tan3l6 said:

What聽 case allows full size and low profile cards?

Just wondering.

A Dell optiplex

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tan3l6 said:

What聽 case allows full size and low profile cards?

Just wondering.

The 1650 low profile comes with 2 brackets full size and low profile size.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jaslion said:

The 1650 low profile comes with 2 brackets full size and low profile size.

Indeed

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HunchoGang said:

Also I need to know if the RX 480 8gb with gddr5 is actually faster than the gtx 1650 low profile with 4gb if gddr6

It is a bit. But can your psu handle it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jaslion said:

It is a bit. But can your psu handle it?

I have a 500 w PSU聽

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also how is a card with gddr6 slower than a card with gddr5. I'm a bit nooby at cards, but I don't think this should be the case.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, HunchoGang said:

Also how is a card with gddr6 slower than a card with gddr5. I'm a bit nooby at cards, but I don't think this should be the case.

Well, the benchmarks are the best way to compare/evaluate speeds.

Also depends if graphics RAM is 128-bit, 192-bit or 256-bit.

https://technical.city/en/video/Radeon-RX-480-vs-GeForce-GTX-1650

indicates that RX 480 has 256-bit GDDR5聽 and GTX 1650 also has GDDR5 but 128-bit.

... but I'm no expert

Link to post
Share on other sites

-Topics Merged-

@HunchoGang pleas refrain from posting duplicate topics about the same subject.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---Blue Build Post---Blue Build Post 2018

RGB Build Post 2019--- Rainbow 馃 2020聽---Project ITNOS---聽P600S VS Define R6/S2

CPU i7-4790k聽聽 聽MotherboardGigabyte Z97N-WIFI聽 聽聽RAMG.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz聽聽 聽GPUEVGA GTX1080Ti聽FTW3聽 聽聽CaseCorsair 380T聽 聽

StorageSamsung EVO 250GB,聽Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB,聽WD Black 5TB聽聽 聽PSUCorsair CX550M聽 聽聽CoolingCryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, HunchoGang said:

Also how is a card with gddr6 slower than a card with gddr5. I'm a bit nooby at cards, but I don't think this should be the case.

Many many factors lead to the eventual performance of the gpu. The easiest way is to just look at benchmarks (actual benchmarks like games, benchmarking software,... not a random site with theoretical performance or it comparing specs that doesn't work).

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, HunchoGang said:

I see. He stated that the card was used less than a month, but then again it can be hard to determine truth from lie. Is there anything I can ask of him to ensure that I truly know how long he has actually used the card? Also how is the RX 480 faster than the gtx 1650? Wasn't it made significantly longer ago? Also it has GDDR5. I'm a bit nooby at Graphics cards.

Used less than a month doesn't necessarily mean it was bought less than a month ago. Given it's age, it is extremely unlikely to be recently bought new.

Performance, again you'd have to look it up. I did have a quick search myself, and there are suggestions confirming the 480 is faster, but how much, is less clear. And none of the places I found I would consider a good reference so I wont link to any of them. The difference is basically a much older but what was then a mid range card, vs something newer but arguably lower down the range.

Desktop聽Gaming system: Asrock Z370 Pro4, i7-8086k stock, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 4x16GB, Asus Strix 1080Ti, NZXT E850 PSU, Cooler Master MasterBox 5, Optane 900p 280GB, Crucial MX200 1TB, Sandisk 960GB,聽Acer Predator XB241YU 1440p 144Hz G-sync

TV Gaming system: Asus X299 TUF mark 2, 7920X @ 8c8t, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance LPX RGB 3000 8x8GB, EVGA 2080Ti Black, Corsair HX1000i, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB,聽LG OLED55B9PLA

Former聽Main system: Asus Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700k stock, Noctua D14, G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 2x8GB,聽Gigabyte GTX 1650, Corsair HX750i, In Win 303 NVIDIA, Samsung聽SM951 512GB, WD Blue 1TB, HP LP2475W 1200p wide gamut

Gaming laptop: Asus FX503VD, i5-7300HQ, 2x8GB DDR4, GTX 1050, Sandisk 256GB + 480GB SSD

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeahm, bit suspicious why would someone choose to swap a card for a slower one.

... but I'm no expert

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Newegg