Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Before I say anything here is my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9zCgTC

 

I swapped out my 1080ti ftw3 for the 3080 xc3 ultra. There was barely any improvements in any of my games, some have suffered performan issues. I used to get about 160fps on average in mw 2019 with my 1080, now I'm only getting 170fps on average. I even tried minecraft and my pc was struggling until I turned the render distance down and made the game look like Cartoon. The temps for both my gpu & cpu are very low, under 65c. I'm not sure if its because my cpu isn't good enough or if its because I'm playing at 1080p, I don't understand how upgrading to a higher res will improve my fps but some people have told me that, others tell me that isn't the case. I included a screenshot of gpu z while I was playing. One other thing is I have my card in my x8 slot, would moving it to the x16 slot improveme my performance at all and if so by how much? 

Screenshot 2020-10-25 215658.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, CheeseGod said:

One other thing is I have my card in my x8 slot, would moving it to the x16 slot improveme my performance at all and if so by how much? 

it could be a physical problem with the slot, not necessarily that it's x8

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you remove the old gpu drivers? If not, that could be causing some issues. Did you make sure that you are playing the games with the same exact settings as before?

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

 

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

 

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

Link to post
Share on other sites

Your specs on paper don't seem to be the issue, but you should certainly move your card to the x16 slot if you're chasing performance otherwise you're leaving some on the table for no good reason.

Did you properly re-install drivers? DDU is your friend for GPU swaps.
I'd try this if you haven't and see if anything improves.

- Personal Rig -

i7-4770K / 32GB Corsair DDR3-1600 Dominator Platinum / EVGA RTX 2070 XC Ultra
Gigabyte G1. Sniper 5 / Noctua NH-D15 ThermalTake X71 / EVGA G2 750W / 500GB SSD [RAID 0]


- Desktop Audio Equipment -
ADAM Audio F7's | Cambridge Audio DAC Magic+ w/ Balanced XLR
- Budget Home Theatre Equipment -

Polk RTiA7's | Velodyne DPS-12 | Polk CSi30 Denon AVR-X3500H

Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

I don't understand how upgrading to a higher res will improve my fps but some people have told me that, others tell me that isn't the case

A higher res won't improve FPS, but might allow the GPU to stretch its muscles more.

 

The 3080's architecture is designed to be better at rendering at higher resolutions (eg. 4k) by calculating more things at once. But this also means that at lower resolutions like 1080p, some of the 3080's GPU core will be sitting around idle - you can't render frame 2 until you've finished rendering frame 1*. At some point your FPS will be limited by how fast the card can do each sequential action, rather than how much it can process in total. It's kinda like single-core vs multi-core performance on your CPU.

 

But yes, try a full wipe and reinstall of your drivers (use DDU!) and swap to an x16 PCI-E slot if you can.

 

*Parallel frame rendering does exist, but not really in gaming. The closest we have is Alternate Frame Rendering for SLI. (May it rest in peace.)

My PCs:

Quote

Timothy: 

i7 4790k

16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3

ASUS GTX 1060 6GB

Corsair Carbide 300R

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, CheeseGod said:

now I'm only getting 170fps on average

<_< >_> only 170 fps? Is that where we are now?

 

Well it might be your CPU holding you back, yeah. What games are you getting ...only 170 fps in? Get MSI Afterburner, enable OSD and put CPU, GPU load (%) and clock speeds. If CPU is most of the time at 100% on all cores and GPU is sitting at 70% or something you're CPU bound (bottlenecked). Curious as to why you don't use the x16 slot... don't think it will make much difference anywho but still.. why not?

?TuringMachine?

Ryzen 5 3600x - Asus Strix B450-F - Asus ROG RTX 2060S Strix AD - HyperX Predator 3200 2x8 GB DDR4 - Phanteks P400S - Corsair RM 650x - BeQuiet! Dark Rock 4 - Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB SSD - 2x Samsung QVO 1TB SSD (RAID 0) - Seagate Barracuda 3TB

 

Quote

"If the genius of invention were to reveal tomorrow the secret of immortality, of eternal beauty and youth, for which all humanity is aching, the same inexorable agents which prevent a mass from changing suddenly its velocity would likewise resist the force of the new knowledge until time gradually modifies human thought."

  -Nikola Tesla, New York, May 16, 1907
Link to post
Share on other sites

Modern warfare is a terrible benchmark, the diminishing returns on higher FPS are huge, i swapped from 1440p (165hz) to a 1080p 280hz monitor thinking i would bump up from 160 to 220ish FPS but the game is so poorly optimized i only picked up about 10fps dropping a resolution. - my previous build was getting very similar results to you with a 8700k and a 2080ti.
i think you'll find at 1080p you do not have a huge amount to gain from a 3080 in an x8 slot. i would probably suggest to make the jump to a good quality 1440p/4k monitor to get the boost you're after out of that hardware, your gpu is the best piece of gear on your build and its just not going to do the heavy lifting at 1080, luck for you there are new 1440p/240z monitor about to hit the market 

i9 10850k @5.1ghz  |   evga XC 2080ti   |  Asrock z490 Taichi  |  4x8gb g.skills trident z 3600mh  |  2tb Samsung 970 pro m.2 NVME  |   Lian li PC-011D  |  |  lian li Galahad 360 AIO  |    LG 27gn950 144hz 4k  |  Logitech G915 wireless/Logitech G pro Wireless/ Logitech G Pro X wireless headset

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zeusthemoose said:

Did you remove the old gpu drivers? If not, that could be causing some issues. Did you make sure that you are playing the games with the same exact settings as before?

Same settings, I did remove the old drivers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CheeseGod said:

 One other thing is I have my card in my x8 slot, would moving it to the x16 slot improveme my performance at all and if so by how much?

pretty sure it would solve your issues, are you in a position where you could do that?

Why isn't your card already in the performance slot?

Also why 1080p? monitor your GPU load and see if your card is even flexin or not...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X Trio 2ghz OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Rift S

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KnightSirius said:

Your specs on paper don't seem to be the issue, but you should certainly move your card to the x16 slot if you're chasing performance otherwise you're leaving some on the table for no good reason.

Did you properly re-install drivers? DDU is your friend for GPU swaps.
I'd try this if you haven't and see if anything improves.

I've already used ddu, not sure what else to do other than moving it to the x16 slot. Even after the slight increase in performance its still not enough from what I've seen. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CheeseGod said:

One other thing is I have my card in my x8 slot, would moving it to the x16 slot improveme my performance at all and if so by how much? 

 

Is there any reason the card is in the x8 and not the x16? If not, move the card to the x16 and see what performance you have. The 8700K might also be bottlenecking the card a bit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vformula00 said:

Try DDU first. If that doesn't work, try to reinstall the games.

I've tried both ddu and reinstalling my game 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Random_Person1234 said:

Is there any reason the card is in the x8 and not the x16? If not, move the card to the x16 and see what performance you have. The 8700K might also be bottlenecking the card a bit.

If I were to upgrade to an i9 10900k would that still not be sufficient? The card being in the x8 slot was actually an accident lol 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CheeseGod said:

If I were to upgrade to an i9 10900k would that still not be sufficient? The card being in the x8 slot was actually an accident lol 

Well, move it to the top x16 slot, and see the performance. A 10900K should be sufficient. But if you were to upgrade your CPU, wait for Zen 3 to come out, as you would have to change your motherboard either way.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Random_Person1234 said:

Well, move it to the top x16 slot, and see the performance. A 10900K should be sufficient. But if you were to upgrade your CPU, wait for Zen 3 to come out, as you would have to change your motherboard either way.

Should I get them or wait for a new Intel cpu? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CheeseGod said:

Should I get them or wait for a new Intel cpu? 

Wait for independent benchmarks of Zen 3, then make your purchasing decision. If you were to wait for new Intel, you would have to wait for Rocket Lake in Q1 next year. From leaks and rumors, Rocket Lake seems to be pretty underwhelming.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CheeseGod said:

Should I get them or wait for a new Intel cpu? 

I would sell your cpu and motherboard now while it's still going for good money. Upgrade to a 10700k OC it to 5-5.2 ghz and call it a day. The rtx 3080 at 1080P is super overkill and using modern warfare isn't a good thing for performance numbers. At 1080p your gpu usage is probably pretty low

CPU:  Intel 10700k  5.2ghz @1.3V

Mobo: Msi Z490 Gaming edge wifi 

Cooler: Evga clc 360mm aio

Fans: 9 Corsair sp120 rgb pro 

GPU:  Evga Rtx 3070 ftw3 ultra gaming 

Ram: 32gb Corsair rgb pro ddr4 3600mhz 

Case: Lian li pc011 

PSU: Corsair Rm850x

Storage: 2Tb Samsung Nvme ssd

Display: Monoprice dark matter 34inch 3440x1440 144hz

Mouse: Logitech G703

Keyboard: Razer ornata chroma 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

the issue is not his cpu.

Modern Warfare 300fps + squad here.

 

Gaming perf in modern warfare of his 8700k is identical to a 10900k clock for clock.
there is no higher core count scaling at all.

CPU: i7-8700k 5GHz@1.25v | MoBo: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @4000CL17GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Evga Supernova G2 750w |

Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Logitech G PRO WL | Keyboard: Filco Majestouch2 |

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tommwith2ms said:

Modern warfare is a terrible benchmark, the diminishing returns on higher FPS are huge, i swapped from 1440p (165hz) to a 1080p 280hz monitor thinking i would bump up from 160 to 220ish FPS but the game is so poorly optimized i only picked up about 10fps dropping a resolution. - my previous build was getting very similar results to you with a 8700k and a 2080ti.
i think you'll find at 1080p you do not have a huge amount to gain from a 3080 in an x8 slot. i would probably suggest to make the jump to a good quality 1440p/4k monitor to get the boost you're after out of that hardware, your gpu is the best piece of gear on your build and its just not going to do the heavy lifting at 1080, luck for you there are new 1440p/240z monitor about to hit the market 

mw is the best optimized dx12 game released yet.

CPU: i7-8700k 5GHz@1.25v | MoBo: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @4000CL17GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Evga Supernova G2 750w |

Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Logitech G PRO WL | Keyboard: Filco Majestouch2 |

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Tommwith2ms said:

Modern warfare is a terrible benchmark, the diminishing returns on higher FPS are huge, i swapped from 1440p (165hz) to a 1080p 280hz monitor thinking i would bump up from 160 to 220ish FPS but the game is so poorly optimized i only picked up about 10fps dropping a resolution. - my previous build was getting very similar results to you with a 8700k and a 2080ti.
i think you'll find at 1080p you do not have a huge amount to gain from a 3080 in an x8 slot. i would probably suggest to make the jump to a good quality 1440p/4k monitor to get the boost you're after out of that hardware, your gpu is the best piece of gear on your build and its just not going to do the heavy lifting at 1080, luck for you there are new 1440p/240z monitor about to hit the market 

I'm waiting for the predator monitor actually that comes in 1440p 240hz, not sure if ill be able to hit 250+fps on a 1440p monitor though.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, DarkSmith2 said:

the issue is not his cpu.

Modern Warfare 300fps + squad here.

 

Gaming perf in modern warfare of his 8700k is identical to a 10900k clock for clock.
there is no higher core count scaling at all.

How are you hitting 300? I can run 1080p low settings on a 10850 (@5.2) and a 2080ti (+120 clock +300mem) 32gb ram @3600 and still not cracking 200. Ran terrible on my last build also

i9 10850k @5.1ghz  |   evga XC 2080ti   |  Asrock z490 Taichi  |  4x8gb g.skills trident z 3600mh  |  2tb Samsung 970 pro m.2 NVME  |   Lian li PC-011D  |  |  lian li Galahad 360 AIO  |    LG 27gn950 144hz 4k  |  Logitech G915 wireless/Logitech G pro Wireless/ Logitech G Pro X wireless headset

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Tommwith2ms said:

How are you hitting 300? I can run 1080p low settings on a 10850 (@5.2) and a 2080ti (+120 clock +300mem) 32gb ram @3600 and still not cracking 200. Ran terrible on my last build also

well of which game mode in modern warfare are we talking about? 

Quickplay, small maps f.e. deathmatch/kill confirmed and stuff -> 300fps+ (almost always GPU bound even with a 3090) You can actually even gain +100fps when setting your game to 720p in those modes, with my 2080ti even dropping to 800x600 yields bonus FPS.


Groundwar depending on the map 240-300+ FPS

 

Warzone -> lowest dips to ~180FPS but average FPS Open field is like 240fps while also having 300+ FPS within buildings or having a limited range of viewdistance.

 

The reason why we have lots of people thinking that they are getting "low fps" in Warzone is Player render engine limit. Its the same kind of phenomenon that happens in CSGO f.e. if you compare your FPS on a map with no players against FPS with players where the FPS drops to be not even half as high. As long as the game proceeds and the more players are gone from the huge map, the higher %low's you'll get.

 

Warzone example  i made real quick:
Untitled.thumb.jpg.e567031710bb0fccb8b6b2b05875866c.jpg

 

Also the performance of your 5.2GHz OC does nothing but wasting power without the bandwidth needed to support that core clock. That said, DDR4 3600 isnt enough for that.


This is Firestrike with my Overclocks (compare GPU score)
https://www.3dmark.com/fs/23740352
 

To remember, more cores doesnt do anything in that game, its not Anno.

CPU: i7-8700k 5GHz@1.25v | MoBo: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @4000CL17GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Evga Supernova G2 750w |

Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Logitech G PRO WL | Keyboard: Filco Majestouch2 |

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, DarkSmith2 said:

well of which game mode in modern warfare are we talking about? 

Quickplay, small maps f.e. deathmatch/kill confirmed and stuff -> 300fps+ (almost always GPU bound even with a 3090) You can actually even gain +100fps when setting your game to 720p in those modes, with my 2080ti even dropping to 800x600 yields bonus FPS.


Groundwar depending on the map 240-300+ FPS

 

Warzone -> lowest dips to ~180FPS but average FPS Open field is like 240fps while also having 300+ FPS within buildings or having a limited range of viewdistance.

 

The reason why we have lots of people thinking that they are getting "low fps" in Warzone is Player render engine limit. Its the same kind of phenomenon that happens in CSGO f.e. if you compare your FPS on a map with no players against FPS with players where the FPS drops to be not even half as high. As long as the game proceeds and the more players are gone from the huge map, the higher %low's you'll get.

 

Warzone example  i made real quick:
Untitled.thumb.jpg.e567031710bb0fccb8b6b2b05875866c.jpg

 

Also the performance of your 5.2GHz OC does nothing but wasting power without the bandwidth needed to support that core clock. That said, DDR4 3600 isnt enough for that.


This is Firestrike with my Overclocks (compare GPU score)
https://www.3dmark.com/fs/23740352
 

To remember, more cores doesnt do anything in that game, its not Anno.

Oh okay that makes sense, I was assuming you were talking about 1080p at 100 render scale

i9 10850k @5.1ghz  |   evga XC 2080ti   |  Asrock z490 Taichi  |  4x8gb g.skills trident z 3600mh  |  2tb Samsung 970 pro m.2 NVME  |   Lian li PC-011D  |  |  lian li Galahad 360 AIO  |    LG 27gn950 144hz 4k  |  Logitech G915 wireless/Logitech G pro Wireless/ Logitech G Pro X wireless headset

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×