Texture pop in

Fzone

Is a texture pop in normal for ps4 at open world games like spiderman. I mean should i be worried about gpu or anyone else noticed texture pop ins in open world games?

PS4 has tons of texture pop in especially in Open World games and VR. The PS4 Pro reduces this a little, hopefully the PS5 with direct storage and a RDNA 2 APU will help prevent it in the future.

3 minutes ago, G0dSpeed said:

PS4 has tons of texture pop in especially in Open World games and VR. The PS4 Pro reduces this a little, hopefully the PS5 with direct storage and a RDNA 2 APU will help prevent it in the future.

Thanks fir the speed so its normal right? Thought my gpu or hdd dying

1 hour ago, Fzone said:

Thanks fir the speed so its normal right? Thought my gpu or hdd dying

Nope happens in a lot of games Elder Scrolls Online, Horizon Zero Dawn, Farpoint, Skyrim VR, No Mans Sky, Destiny 1/2, The Outer Worlds, Kingdom Come Deliverance, Uncharted 4, Infamous Second Son, Battlefield 1, BattleFront 2, and God of War.

Horizon Zero Dawn is rife with popin at Ultimate Quality preset its ugly AF.

Everyone said its beautiful, which it is..without the popin.. but far from the Ultimate the quality preset makes you think vs what you see pop in at even small distances...

Watching grass populate an area 100metres away by walking backwards and forwards 15ft.. quite distracting like procedural generated or something..

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

12 hours ago, G0dSpeed said:

Nope happens in a lot of games Elder Scrolls Online, Horizon Zero Dawn, Farpoint, Skyrim VR, No Mans Sky, Destiny 1/2, The Outer Worlds, Kingdom Come Deliverance, Uncharted 4, Infamous Second Son, Battlefield 1, BattleFront 2, and God of War.

Btw is tha lod(level of detail)?

You can actually improve pop in a little by using a ssd (regardless of the PS4 bus doesn't even max out a ssd) it *is* faster and seek times are much lower. 

Heavily depends on the game though, from to no effect to reduced pop ins to nearly non existent pop ins. 

Tldr: shitty hardware, shitty devs, you get what you pay for (which in the end is still a bulldozer cpu lol) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

-> Moved to Console Gaming

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 10/24/2020 at 8:28 AM, Fzone said:

Btw is tha lod(level of detail)?

No.

In open world games, due to system resource restrictions (lack of memory and/or lack of computation power), you can't load everything at once.

As you come closer to an object, the game will start loading the object. Better the system, the game developer can allow loading of object really far away (even to a point where you don't see it, as it is less than 1px big on your screen), or if you are limited, only around you. This is also why, as you may have noticed in some games, where the grass is only visible around your character only, but not further away. Lack of resources limits visuals.

Large or complex (for the system) levels, uses another trick... and that is loading while hiding a loading screen. This is typically hidden in elevator, Now, you know why in many games, you have elevators that you need to take. The elevator ride simply put you in a room while it unloads where you were, and loads the next level. Another system, is dynamic loading of level as you come closer to a door. This was most visible back in early disk game consoles. If you are in a level where you have multiple doors around it, and you are at the center, all is fine, as you come closer to a door, you'll hear your system disk start spinning and seeking data... run too quickly to the door and open it... well you'll experience a.. unresponsive door, as the level behind the door is still loading. But anyways, they are a huge collection of tricks that game developers employ to make the impossible possible with limited system resources.

A faster storage medium will help reduce the pop-in delay, as the object being loaded can be fetch from storage faster, and display sooner. You'll still have it, because, as I mentioned, lack of system resources, but reduced.

Level of Details, is different. It is when you want the object to be on the screen at a certain distance, but it is so far away, you don't see any details about it, so, to gain performance for other things (say, have more objects on the screen, or gain higher viewable distance of objects or afford nicer visuals), you can cut polygons and texture resolution.

Digital Foundry did a really great video on texture pop-in and load times on the PS4 Pro that really show how the storage is holding it back. Of course, their solution was to install a totally overkill SSD but that's one of the reasons I love them lol. Obviously, it's not really worth upgrading your PS4 at this point in the game but it's safe to say that we will definitely be seeing improvements playing PS4 games on the PS5.