Are there addin cards for nvm drives.

Rylyguy

Hi. I upgraded the ssd in my MacBook to a tb so I was wanting to use the old one as a boot drive for my pc since it’s faster than my current ssd. Problem is. My mobo doesn’t have any nvme slots. I’m wondering if there are pcie x1 cards to install nvme drives in. And if you can use it to boot. 

there are stuffs like these

A6V8S2006172zxqD.jpg

but to boot from it, requires your cpu and bios to support it

i think only intel 4th gen and up supports it(?) have to find out

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

MacBooks don't use standard M.2 NVMe drives, they have a proprietary connector. As far as I know, no one makes an add in for Apple's MacBook SSDs. 

Unless they've changed something since the last time I looked into MacBook SSDs. 

If it is indeed a standard M.2 drive, then yeah, you can get PCIe to M.2 adaptor cards. A quick search on Amazon will return a bunch.

Yes there are. PCIe to NVME converter.

But since your MB doesn't have nvme slot, i don't think you can use it as a boot drive.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, The_russian said:

Which MacBook? If I recall correctly some use a standard M.2 connection while others use a proprietary connection. 

2015 MacBook pro

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

there are stuffs like these

A6V8S2006172zxqD.jpg

but to boot from it, requires your cpu and bios to support it

i think only intel 4th gen and up supports it(?) have to find out

That stinks. I’m on a 3rd gen. 

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

Yes there are. PCIe to NVME converter.

But since your MB doesn't have nvme slot, i don't think you can use it as a boot drive.

I think you misunderstood my post. My pc doesn’t have an nvme slot. I have an old ssd that came from my MacBook that I want to use in my pc. 

1 minute ago, Rylyguy said:

That stinks. I’m on a 3rd gen. 

you may still use it as a drive as far as i know

just cant boot from it

do some research

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

2015 MacBook pro

Those use the proprietary connection and are keyed differently, so they won't even physically fit into a normal m.2 slot. Your best bet would probably be to sell it on ebay.

Just now, Rylyguy said:

I think you misunderstood my post. My pc doesn’t have an nvme slot. I have an old ssd that came from my MacBook that I want to use in my pc. 

No, you're misunderstood me.

3rd gen don't have NVME but they do have PCIe slot.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Just now, The_russian said:

Those use the proprietary connection and are keyed differently, so they won't even physically fit into a normal m.2 slot. Your best bet would probably be to sell it on ebay.

Thanks. I probably wouldn’t even get much since it’s only 128 gbs. I found an external exclosure for a mbp ssd. I may just get that and use it as a fast flash drive. Only bottlenecks by the speeds of usb. 

No, you're misunderstood me.

3rd gen don't have NVME but they do have PCIe slot.

Ok I understand that. But why did you say my mbp doesn’t have an nvme slot. It does which is why I was able to get the drive. 

Just now, Rylyguy said:

Thanks. I probably wouldn’t even get much since it’s only 128 gbs. I found an external exclosure for a mbp ssd. I may just get that and use it as a fast flash drive. Only bottlenecks by the speeds of usb. 

Are you sure it will take an SSD from a MacBook, or will it use a normal SSD and it's just marketed for MacBooks? You should double check before you buy it. 

It's just the same drive with different key, by the magic of chinese ingenuity, you can buy a converter for that.

Untuk Macbook SSD Adaptor untuk Apple SSD Adaptor untuk Macbook Udara Pro  Retina 2013 2017 SSD untuk M2 Adaptor M Kunci M.2 NGFF Mengkonversi  Kartu|Add On Cards| - AliExpress

Are you sure it will take an SSD from a MacBook, or will it use a normal SSD and it's just marketed for MacBooks? You should double check before you buy it. 

It was made for a MacBook ssd. It’s made to use the company’s own ssds. They make ssds specifically for MacBooks. I just used one of theirs to upgrade my MacBook. 

Ok I understand that. But why did you say my mbp doesn’t have an nvme slot. It does which is why I was able to get the drive. 

MB = Motherboard.

MBP = Macbookpro

Learn the lingo.

It's just the same drive with different key, by the magic of chinese ingenuity, you can buy a converter for that.

Untuk Macbook SSD Adaptor untuk Apple SSD Adaptor untuk Macbook Udara Pro  Retina 2013 2017 SSD untuk M2 Adaptor M Kunci M.2 NGFF Mengkonversi  Kartu|Add On Cards| - AliExpress

Awesome so that would convert to the normal standard. 

MB = Motherboard.

MBP = Macbookpro

Learn the lingo.

Ok. I’m used to just shortening motherboard to mobo. 

4 minutes ago, Rylyguy said:

It was made for a MacBook ssd. It’s made to use the company’s own ssds. They make ssds specifically for MacBooks. I just used one of theirs to upgrade my MacBook. 

Naah, Apple doesn't make the ssd them self.

They just have samsung  or crucial make them, and to screw their customer, they make a different port, so they can charge them 5x fold.

There is also a converter for a normal ssd to macbook.

2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Naah, Apple doesn't make the ssd them self.

They just have samsung  or crucial make them, and to screw their customer, they make a different port, so they can charge them 5x fold.

There is also a converter for a normal ssd to macbook.

I’m not talking about one from Apple. It’s a company from Europe. Called fledging. They make several products specifically for the MacBook. 

Not going to help with a Mac drive but I just ordered this and a protective NVME storage case so I can hot-swap the 3rd NVME and collect a few more 1-2TB drives.

1586745482958973838.png

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator