pcie nvme ssd on raspberry pi?

mahyar

raspberry pi 4 compute module just dropped and it has some interesting things most important for me is the pcie 1x that is used for usb 3 on normal pi 4 and it can be used for nvme storage and jeff geerling a youtuber got a samsung 970 evo plus working on it

My thoughts

this is amazing for clustering and neural network or heck even a raspberry pi laptop 

Sources

https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blog/2020/pi-4-compute-module-might-support-nvme-storage

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

I don't really see how this would be great for clustering or neural networks.

Clustering usually use centralized storage so that all machines involved can access and output data to the same storage, and I don't see how it would help with neural networks. Do people even use Raspberry Pis for neural network stuff? In my mind it is far too weak for it, and you would be better off running that stuff on a more powerful computer.

It's a pretty neat thing though, getting that NVMe drive working.

9 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

In my mind it is far too weak for it, and you would be better off running that stuff on a more powerful computer

I agree. Rasberry Pi clusters are made " for fun " and practising working on large clusters while not costing too much

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

1 hour ago, Drama Lama said:

I agree. Rasberry Pi clusters are made " for fun " and practising working on large clusters while not costing too much

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

I don't really see how this would be great for clustering or neural networks.

Clustering usually use centralized storage so that all machines involved can access and output data to the same storage, and I don't see how it would help with neural networks. Do people even use Raspberry Pis for neural network stuff? In my mind it is far too weak for it, and you would be better off running that stuff on a more powerful computer.

It's a pretty neat thing though, getting that NVMe drive working.

ahhh no 

pi clustering isnt as impractical as it seems they are low powered and cheaper than other solutions and they are boards made for using multiple pis as a cluster 

and rpi 4 can do a lot and with a bit overclock on cpu

A cluster of Pi's is still way less powerful than any PC costing the same.

Really it's useful for learning how to use a cluster but that's about it...

Pi's aren't a good choice for neural networks either since they don't have any hardware acceleration for that unlike other boards made for it.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

A cluster of Pi's is still way less powerful than any PC costing the same.

Really it's useful for learning how to use a cluster but that's about it...

Pi's aren't a good choice for neural networks either since they don't have any hardware acceleration for that unlike other boards made for it.

no i build a pi 3 cluster and its powerful and yes a pc at same cost is more powerful but pi has a lot more cores and with exsi supporting pi 4 there is a lot to say and  there is a chance for even hardware accelerated neural network processing  

3 hours ago, mahyar said:

raspberry pi 4 compute module just dropped and it has some interesting things most important for me is the pcie 1x that is used for usb 3 on normal pi 4 and it can be used for nvme storage and jeff geerling a youtuber got a samsung 970 evo plus working on it

My thoughts

this is amazing for clustering and neural network or heck even a raspberry pi laptop 

Sources

https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blog/2020/pi-4-compute-module-might-support-nvme-storage

As others have mentioned, this would be good for learning purposes. However, don't expect a cluster to be anywhere near as powerful as a full fledged pc.

1 minute ago, steelo said:

As others have mentioned, this would be good for learning purposes. However, don't expect a cluster to be anywhere near as powerful as a full fledged pc.

a lot of people underestimate power of raspberry pi they are more powerful then it seems

5 minutes ago, mahyar said:

a lot of people underestimate power of raspberry pi they are more powerful then it seems

That is very true, if I'm not mistaken, a rpi4 is about as powerful as a midrange smartphone. However, the hardware is by no means meant for high performance. Yes, the pi4 is a step up from previous gens, especially the 2gb and 4gb variants. However, spending $500 in order to cluster 10 of them will not equal the performance of a $500 PC.

2 minutes ago, steelo said:

That is very true, if I'm not mistaken, a rpi4 is about as powerful as a midrange smartphone. However, the hardware is by no means meant for high performance. Yes, the pi4 is a step up from previous gens, especially the 2gb and 4gb variants. However, spending $500 in order to cluster 10 of them will not equal the performance of a $500 PC.

rpi 4 compute module is out and like normal pi 4 they overclock over 2ghz easily and i dont know if you know it or not there is a project called box86 to run x86 software on raspberry pi and it can run steam with indie games like celeste

5 minutes ago, mahyar said:

rpi 4 compute module is out and like normal pi 4 they overclock over 2ghz easily and i dont know if you know it or not there is a project called box86 to run x86 software on raspberry pi and it can run steam with indie games like celeste

A few months ago, I tried the x86 version of Win 10 on my rpi3....although, I forget the name of the x86 to arm conversion software I used. It was virtually unusable. rpi 4's are quite a bit more powerful though, I'm sure you can run very basic x86 games on it thru box86.

Just now, steelo said:

A few months ago, I tried the x86 version of Win 10 on my rpi3....although, I forget the name of the transcoding software I used. It was virtually unusable. rpi 4's are quite a bit more powerful though, I'm sure you can run basic x86 games on it thru box86.

lowspecgamer did a few videos about it and there is an arm win10 for rpi4 as well and its wayyyyy more stable than rpi3

I've seen his videos, I do recall though at that time there were some serious compatibility issues like only 1 gb RAM being available and the audio not working at all...

Still really amazing stuff...If they can optimize it better, Win 10 (for basic tasks) on a rpi4 can be a real thing...

3 minutes ago, steelo said:

I've seen his videos, I do recall though at that time there were some serious compatibility issues like only 1 gb RAM being available and the audio not working at all...

Still really amazing stuff...

audio idk but most of the stuff including ram and lan and usbs are fixed

2 minutes ago, mahyar said:

audio idk but most of the stuff including ram and lan and usbs are fixed

If you get a rpi4, you should try it (and post the results) I'd be interested in seeing how it runs 😃

59 minutes ago, mahyar said:

and yes a pc at same cost is more powerful

So you are just confirming what they said: it makes no sense. Also, a cluster of overclocked Pis probably will also be worse at performance/watt for HPC

59 minutes ago, mahyar said:

but pi has a lot more cores

It doesn't matter if in the end it delivers lower performance. Plus you won't get more cores than a single machine using GPGPU

I don't think we are underestimating the Pi's capabilities, we just think you may be underestimating where HPC is currently at

16 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

So you are just confirming what they said: it makes no sense. Also, a cluster of overclocked Pis probably will also be worse at performance/watt for HPC

It doesn't matter if in the end it delivers lower performance. Plus you won't get more cores than a single machine using GPGPU

I don't think we are underestimating the Pi's capabilities, we just think you may be underestimating where HPC is currently at

I agree that if the OP is expecting 'equivalent' performance out of a rpi4 cluster, he's setting himself up for disappointment. With that said, it's still a really neat (and fun) concept to at least try, if he has the money.

3 minutes ago, steelo said:

I agree that if the OP is expecting 'equivalent' performance out of a rpi4 cluster, he's setting himself up for disappointmen

i know what to expect and i know pi cluuster is not as good as a pc one

1 minute ago, mahyar said:

i know what to expect and i know pi cluuster is not as good as a pc one

It sounds like you do, I say go for it...at the very least, it will be a very challenging and fun project 😃

22 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

i agree but pi isnt as bad as people think and higher core counts in some workload are more important then single core performance

1 minute ago, steelo said:

It sounds like you do, I say go for it...at the very least, it will be a very challenging and fun project 😃

yes im looking forward to do it when compute module 4 an its accessories become common

32 minutes ago, mahyar said:

They are "quite" powerful, but people who say people underestimate the pi often overestimate the pi :)

I can build one of the projects I work on in 12min30 on a 2GHz OCd Pi4... it takes 5min10 on a 6 year old 4th gen i5 PC I received for free.

10 minutes ago, mahyar said:

i agree but pi isnt as bad as people think and higher core counts in some workload are more important then single core performance

Neither frequency nor core count matter at all for comparisons between different architectures, actual total performance does. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

10 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Neither frequency nor core count matter at all for comparisons between different architectures, actual total performance does. 

well i said some workloads and here where are not compairing arm and x86

2 hours ago, mahyar said:

ahhh no 

pi clustering isnt as impractical as it seems they are low powered and cheaper than other solutions and they are boards made for using multiple pis as a cluster 

and rpi 4 can do a lot and with a bit overclock on cpu

Well what’s the best usage for Raspberry Pi clusters besides education ( and learning ) ?

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

Just now, Drama Lama said:

Well what’s the best usage for Raspberry Pi clusters besides education ( and learning ) ?

webserver hosting