how can i get 1 gigabyte internet on my pc

willthatsme

i am looking for a way i can get 1gigabyte internet on my home pc and all i saw was ways for bissneses to do it. I would like to do it withoput having to change my internet provider wich is verisons gigabit connection plan wich claim to up to 940 mbps. i am fine with having to buy other things like wifi extenders and mesh extenders. if anyone knows how to do it please tell me and any other who want to do this know in this topic. 

1 minute ago, willthatsme said:

i am looking for a way i can get 1gigabyte internet on my home pc and all i saw was ways for bissneses to do it. I would like to do it withoput having to change my internet provider wich is verisons gigabit connection plan wich claim to up to 940 mbps. i am fine with having to buy other things like wifi extenders and mesh extenders. if anyone knows how to do it please tell me and any other who want to do this know in this topic. 

Using Wi-Fi or ethernet on PC? 

Just now, willthatsme said:

using ethernet

Latest gaming motherboards support higher gigabit connections. You should be getting those high speeds with a router that supports that speed and capable motherboard.

Okay first thing, byte =/= bit. 1 byte = 8 bits, so 1 gigabyte internet would be 8 gigabit internet.. that would be insane. Realistically all you need is a wired connection through a gigabit switch (most switches built into routers are at least 1 gigabit these days) and a 1 gigabit service connection.

ASU

how can i do it using ethernet

You need to make sure your motherboard supports it (basically all modern motherboards do), your router and modem supports it, the cables between the computer, router, and modem support it (basically all modern ethernet cables will), and you need to be paying your ISP for a 1gbps plan.

what i want to do is to get faster than the advertised speed as i want to have 1 gigabyte a second download speed

See below:

1 minute ago, Hackentosher said:

Okay first thing, byte =/= bit. 1 byte = 8 bits, so 1 gigabyte internet would be 8 gigabit internet.. that would be insane. Realistically all you need is a wired connection through a gigabit switch (most switches built into routers are at least 1 gigabit these days) and a 1 gigabit service connection.

3 minutes ago, willthatsme said:

what i want to do is to get faster than the advertised speed as i want to have 1 gigabyte a second download speed

Lol if you were getting faster than advertised speeds your ISP would get real mad at you. Turns out nicer things cost more.

is there a way to get faster than the advertised speed

Pay more. On occasion, I get maybe 10mbps more than my ISP says I should get, but never 8x.

ASU

Just now, willthatsme said:

Some people don't even get advertised speed. 😆
No. Speed depends on what plan you pick.

i know that but i have the fastest verison offers. but would i be able to buy somthing that will make my ethernet speeds faster than 1gigabit /s

i know that but i have the fastest verison offers. but would i be able to buy somthing that will make my ethernet speeds faster than 1gigabit /s

No, that's not how Internet connections work, you only get what you pay for (+ or - a bit depending on your internet provider).

3 minutes ago, willthatsme said:

The simple answer is no. 

Your "internet" can only go as fast as the slowest link. If you have 1Gbit ethernet in your house, to your PC, and the plan on Verizon can only do 900Mbps, then you're limited to 900Mbps. 

Also the "Internet" doesn't have an absolute speed. The speed you get depends on the speed of where you're connecting to, and the rest of the connection past your ISP as well. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

16 minutes ago, willthatsme said:

then you need ot get 10gigabit to get 1gigabyte

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

If you want to download something and you have 100mbps connection and the server you are downloading from is 50mbps, you are only going to get 50mbps. It would be waste if you have a very fast internet and the server you are downloading or working has a slow speed than your connection.

18 minutes ago, willthatsme said:

You do realize that 1GB/s is 8Gb/s, right? Basically 8x the speed of most ethernet ports on computers. That's crazy.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

1 hour ago, willthatsme said:

Pay more. Your ISP might offer Metro Ethernet (Business Fiber). It will be hell of expensive but it would offer the fastest speeds. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

-> Moved to Networking

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv