pc displays turns off

imajerec

so my monitor image suddenly dissapears (turns black) the pc remains on. d/c the hdmi cable from the mobo hdmi port and reinserting it makes image reapear aggain. what could cause this? no event viewer event is recorded

2 minutes ago, imajerec said:

what could cause this?

Bad cable or failing monitor

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

3 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Bad cable or failing monitor

can't it be from drivers? i have a ryzen 3200g and using it's integrated graphics. i'm trying now to reinstall the drivers too see if it happens again. anyways today is the first time i encounter this problem. the pc was in sleep mode, and the power went off in my local area. when it resume , i had to repower my pc. it worked for a few hours and then suddenly image turned black. i thought the pc froze and i restarted it, now after a few hours it happened again, and i had the idea to turn off the monitor and off again, which didn't bring the image back, but d/c the hdmi cable and reinserting it bring back the image

Just now, imajerec said:

can't it be from drivers?

If they are hopelessly corrupt? I suppose that's possible, but not something I've ever seen (doesn't mean it can't happen tho)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Does it happen while in use, or when sitting there? Could be related to a sleep setting if its not in use when it happens. Remember there are sleep settings and screensaver settings, either could be triggering this.

Daily driver (looking to upgrade mobo and cpu spring of 2021)   --- The only time I sort by price from high to low is when I am shopping for CPU's and GPU's (looking for a cheap i7-7700k though)
Mobo: ASRock Z170 Extreme7+  CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6MHz OC  Cooling: Corsair H115i Hydro  Memory: TridentZ 32GB @ 3600MHz  GPU: EVGA 2070 FTW3 ULTRA+ (OC'd 50/300)  
PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 980 Pro 1TB, 950 PRO 512Mb, (2)ADATA SU800 1TB  Keyboard: Logitech G910  Mouse: Logitech G502   Headset: Logitech G930 UPS: APC Pro 1500 S

Unraid box providing network routing, home automation services, and media services ( I love unraid!)

USB Key: SanDisk 16GB Ultra Fit  Mobo: Intel DX79SR Extreme+  CPU: i7-3820  Memory: 16Gb Kingston HyperX Predator  Storage: (cache)480gb Micron SSD (1)8TB HDD (1) 4TB HDD  
GPU: MSI GTX 1650 4GT LP OC (passed through to Emby)  NIC: Intel I350-T4 4-port Gb (passed through to PFSense)  UPS: APC PRO 1000
Docker Containers: Emby and Home-Assistant-Core  Virtual machines: PFsense ( I love PFSense!)

Family machines
Mobo: Asus Prime H310M-E  CPU: Intel Core i3-9100F  Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx 400  Memory: Teamgroup Elite Plus DDR4 16GB  Storage: Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2  
GPU: Asus GTX 1660 Super 6GB or EVGA 1070 FTW 8GB  PSU: Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+  UPS: APC XS 1300

As well as a number of other machines, a ton of parts, miles of cables, and who knows what else!
Private message me for quicker assistance. I also build and ship custom machines at a really fair price.

On 10/15/2020 at 9:45 PM, cr8tor said:

Does it happen while in use, or when sitting there? Could be related to a sleep setting if its not in use when it happens. Remember there are sleep settings and screensaver settings, either could be triggering this.

While in use. Power options are turned off.Today i used it alot, and in 6 hours of use i only got it turn off once for 2 seconds then back on again, this time on it's own, no need to reset or reconnect hdmi cable. It still buggs me cause i can't identify if it's hardware or software related. First time when it happened ago 1 day i got the black screen, thought it went to sleep, clicked my mouse no image. Thought it froze, so i reseted from case button. Image went back on. So in this case it seemed software rekated, but second time it happened, i reinserted hdmi cable without reseting, image back on,made me think it's hardware related(failing monitor or bad hdmi cable, or mobo port). And now today when it happened 3rd time, image went black for 2 seconds and back on again on its own. 

It sounds like the power outage might have damaged something.

Since you can unplug the monitor hdmi cable and plug it back in to get it working, i dont think its the pc.

If you have a power brick for the monitor, can you swap it out or replace it with another one?

If the monitor has internal power and a normal power cord, make sure its seated well.

Otherwise it sounds like the power outage might have taken your monitor with it.

Daily driver (looking to upgrade mobo and cpu spring of 2021)   --- The only time I sort by price from high to low is when I am shopping for CPU's and GPU's (looking for a cheap i7-7700k though)
Mobo: ASRock Z170 Extreme7+  CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6MHz OC  Cooling: Corsair H115i Hydro  Memory: TridentZ 32GB @ 3600MHz  GPU: EVGA 2070 FTW3 ULTRA+ (OC'd 50/300)  
PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 980 Pro 1TB, 950 PRO 512Mb, (2)ADATA SU800 1TB  Keyboard: Logitech G910  Mouse: Logitech G502   Headset: Logitech G930 UPS: APC Pro 1500 S

Unraid box providing network routing, home automation services, and media services ( I love unraid!)

USB Key: SanDisk 16GB Ultra Fit  Mobo: Intel DX79SR Extreme+  CPU: i7-3820  Memory: 16Gb Kingston HyperX Predator  Storage: (cache)480gb Micron SSD (1)8TB HDD (1) 4TB HDD  
GPU: MSI GTX 1650 4GT LP OC (passed through to Emby)  NIC: Intel I350-T4 4-port Gb (passed through to PFSense)  UPS: APC PRO 1000
Docker Containers: Emby and Home-Assistant-Core  Virtual machines: PFsense ( I love PFSense!)

Family machines
Mobo: Asus Prime H310M-E  CPU: Intel Core i3-9100F  Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx 400  Memory: Teamgroup Elite Plus DDR4 16GB  Storage: Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2  
GPU: Asus GTX 1660 Super 6GB or EVGA 1070 FTW 8GB  PSU: Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+  UPS: APC XS 1300

As well as a number of other machines, a ton of parts, miles of cables, and who knows what else!
Private message me for quicker assistance. I also build and ship custom machines at a really fair price.

40 minutes ago, cr8tor said:

It sounds like the power outage might have damaged something.

Since you can unplug the monitor hdmi cable and plug it back in to get it working, i dont think its the pc.

If you have a power brick for the monitor, can you swap it out or replace it with another one?

If the monitor has internal power and a normal power cord, make sure its seated well.

Otherwise it sounds like the power outage might have taken your monitor with it.

But there was no damage to the other electronics in the house. The monitor is still in warranty but i don't want to send it to service yet. Anywat they would just power it on, see it works and send it back as it was. Also new monitors models should have some kind of protections.

9 minutes ago, bluehillday said:

But there was no damage to the other electronics in the house. 

Then count yourself lucky is what it comes down too.

I seen lightning strikes near homes fry one or two things, and everything else is fine.

Lots of reasons one thing might die and not another.

Power bricks and power supplies take the brunt of power spikes and brownouts and can usually handle them.

Every now and then, something dies. Just how things work out sometimes.

Be thankful it didnt take the pc with it.

Family machines

3 minutes ago, cr8tor said:

Then count yourself lucky is what it comes down too.

I seen lightning strikes near homes fry one or two things, and everything else is fine.

Lots of reasons one thing might die and not another.

Power bricks and power supplies take the brunt of power spikes and brownouts and can usually handle them.

Every now and then, something dies. Just how things work out sometimes.

Be thankful it didnt take the pc with it.

That would be hard because i have a good psu. There was no lighting just some technical problems from the electricity provider.

2 minutes ago, bluehillday said:

There was no lighting just some technical problems from the electricity provider.

Them turning the mains on and off can cause issues just like lightning. Maybe not as noticeable to you like a lightning strike, but your electronics can be blasted with a surge when they turn them back on. When things go out, its no different then a brownout as it goes off, and brownouts can kill electronics also.

Word of advice, if the power is off for any reason, unplug your (expensive) electronics to ensure they dont get zapped when the power comes back on.

If the power goes off at my house for any reason, all the TV's and computers get unplugged. I even unplug my batter backups so a surge doesnt kill my UPS. 😉

Also, invest in a UPC if you have a decently expensive machine. The 150 bucks is cheaper than a new PC.

Family machines

19 minutes ago, cr8tor said:

Well these power outages are pretty rare here(1-2/year) and the last ones that happened never broke anything. Ago libe about 10 years a serious one happened and it fried almost all the electronics in my neighbourhood. Nothing like that happened again, all of the power outages from then on did not fry any electronics. I guess if it was something serious the monitor should not even power on at all. I ll wait a few days to see if it will just go away and behave normaly.

Having worked in tech support for many years, i assure you it happens.

No problem to monitor the situation and see how it goes.

I think in the end youll find the power supply for the monitor is bad.

If it is a brick style and not internal with only a power cord to the monitor, replace the brick with another one if possible. You can usually get replacements fairly easily.

Family machines

8 hours ago, cr8tor said:

Having worked in tech support for many years, i assure you it happens.

No problem to monitor the situation and see how it goes.

I think in the end youll find the power supply for the monitor is bad.

If it is a brick style and not internal with only a power cord to the monitor, replace the brick with another one if possible. You can usually get replacements fairly easily.

there is no power brick, just the power cord that goes into the monitor. i'll just wait and see if it gets worse, and if it does i'll just send it to warranty, as it has almost 2 years left of it. but if the problem occurs every few hours like it does now it will be hard to diagnose. because the way these guys see the situation, they'll see it power on and if it shows image, they will just send it back as it was.

16 hours ago, imajerec said:

because the way these guys see the situation, they'll see it power on and if it shows image, they will just send it back as it was

Yeah, i get it. Good luck.

Family machines

12 hours ago, cr8tor said:

Yeah, i get it. Good luck.

thanks. so yesterday it happened again once. i unplugged the hdmi cable from the back of the monitor this time and replugged it again, it gave image again. now i have changed the hdmi cable and i'm waiting to see if anything changed.

update: same issue with a new hdmi cable. the only fix is to reconnect the hdmi cable either port mobo/monitor , or to reset the pc from the button, which brings the image back.