Can I connect a ps/2 and usb keyboard to the same computer?

Ognm

So I use a ps/2 keyboard from long ago (dell sk-8100). I like it, it feels nice and clicky. but the switches are fairly cheap and basic, so I want something a little more tactile and responsive for gaming. However I do not want to spend the full price on an expensive keyboard with a bunch of expensive switches when I already have a keyboard that I am fine with for most of my work. I am considering getting a one handed gaming keyboard so I can have the premium switches for gaming without having to purchase an entire keyboard. So my question is: can windows run a usb keyboard(the one handed keyboard) and a ps/2 keyboard(the dell keyboard) at the same time, or will there be compatibility issues? And please dont shame me for using a ps/2 keyboard, I could go to reddit if I wanted that. Thanks in advance. :)

Yeah i think so.

You can have as many keyboards you can plug.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

6 minutes ago, Ognm said:

can windows run a usb keyboard(the one handed keyboard) and a ps/2 keyboard(the dell keyboard) at the same time

Yes.

It will just see keyboard input, regardless of what keyboard you type it on.

If you press W on keyboard #1 or W on keyboard #2, your PC will just see a W typed, it doesn't care what keyboard it came from.

Same with mice, by the way.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

17 minutes ago, Ognm said:

I am considering getting a one handed gaming keyboard

If it is the same as the ones I've used in the past, then yes you can most certainly. TBH, I think you could do the same with multiple keyboards regardless.

13 minutes ago, minibois said:

*Connects two mice to computer, immediately pushes them in opposite directions*

computer_exploding.gif.6c28768d46df5407973c194a894b2398.gif

But to OP. Yes, the PC won't care where the input comes from it will register and accept both keyboards.

29 minutes ago, Ognm said:

And please dont shame me for using a ps/2 keyboard

For gaming it's actually argued by some that PS/2 using an analog signal for input actually has less delay than modern USB keyboards that use a digital signal.

Do some homework on that though before taking it from me. I've not tested it myself. If it's true though there's good justification behind keeping the old PS/2 keyboard around.

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Two mice? Child's play.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

12 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

For gaming it's actually argued by some that PS/2 using an analog signal for input actually has less delay than modern USB keyboards that use a digital signal.

i think it's because it's interrupt based, instead of polling based, that the latency is lower

but as for OP's question, yea you can use both afaik, but remember that PS/2 is not hot pluggable afaik.

I used to plug in 2 keyboards and swap them depending on mood

image.png.9b3cd8b044d84b4e769d63df13ffbbbe.png

edit: fun fact, the caps lock would light up on both when you press on either one

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

21 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

computer_exploding.gif.6c28768d46df5407973c194a894b2398.gif

But to OP. Yes, the PC won't care where the input comes from it will register and accept both keyboards.

Do some homework on that though before taking it from me. I've not tested it myself. If it's true though there's good justification behind keeping the old PS/2 keyboard around.

I honestly would prefer a higher quality ps/2 board(I use ps/2 power on all the time, my power button is probably building dust), ut I just cant find any on the market with good switches and backlight. If anyone knows where to find any or has recommendations please lmk.

48 minutes ago, minibois said:

Yes.

It will just see keyboard input, regardless of what keyboard you type it on.

If you press W on keyboard #1 or W on keyboard #2, your PC will just see a W typed, it doesn't care what keyboard it came from.

are you sure? I thought there was something with how the input differently that only allows you to plug in 1 at a time.

18 minutes ago, Ognm said:

are you sure? I thought there was something with how the input differently that only allows you to plug in 1 at a time.

Well I can't claim 100% certainty here, last time I tried my PS/2 has been a bit ago after all 😅

I don't fancy turning off my PC right now either, so can't try it out.

PS/2 and USB keyboard works differently, but I don't think that affects which can be used at the same time.

8 minutes ago, minibois said:

Well I can't claim 100% certainty here, last time I tried my PS/2 has been a bit ago after all 😅

I don't fancy turning off my PC right now either, so can't try it out.

PS/2 and USB keyboard works differently, but I don't think that affects which can be used at the same time.

Oh I might actually be confusing compatibility with usb with compatibility with hot swap. I can probably borrow my friend's keyboard then update the thread for anyone who may have the same question in the future.

Okay, I tested it and you can connect a usb keyboard while a ps/2 keyboard is plugged in.