Questions about upgrading what I have

I currently have a DL580 4x E7-4870 & 128GB RAM sitting doing nothing.

Currently, I am using a Lenovo P330 Tiny i7-8700T 32gb RAM w/ Quadro P620

I have a BlueIris server running AI (from this guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwoonl5JKgo) running 13 cameras (See my network and camera setup here https://community.ui.com/stories/Home-Ubiquiti-Setup-Security-networking-and-more/4f0a698f-4d02-481c-9d48-17d9c72a2327) which works well, however the AI program uses the CPU as it is installed on Windows, and cannot use the GPU on Windows. In order to use the GPU for AI, it must be installed on a Linux system. This has reduced the processing time 10x for other users. Currently the CPU takes about 500ms to process 1 image, which is quick, but it does cause the CPU to max at 100% when processing images and recording. My initial tests show that the AI program is utilizing most of the CPU when it is maxed.

Here is my question: Should I install Proxmox on the P330 Tiny with a windows and linux VM and passthru the GPU to the Linux VM for the AI program and see if that helps reduce the CPU load when it's processing images? I wouldn't use this box for anything else.

The other option I wanted to get opinions on, was to buy an HP branded GPU and install that into the DL580 and pass that thru to a Linux VM and have the AI run from there and just remove the processing entirely from the BlueIris box. 

The reason I would not run BlueIris on the DL580 is that I don't like the idea of the cameras not recording for 5-10 minutes while the server reboots, when the P330 takes 15 seconds. 

All comments and criticisms are welcomed.

Do what's right, not what's easy

5 hours ago, NicholasBoccio said:

Here is my question: Should I install Proxmox on the P330 Tiny with a windows and linux VM and passthru the GPU to the Linux VM for the AI program and see if that helps reduce the CPU load when it's processing images? I wouldn't use this box for anything else.

Yup that should work. If your running windows server, you can also run the vm in hyper-v and do the passthough in windows aswell.

5 hours ago, NicholasBoccio said:

The other option I wanted to get opinions on, was to buy an HP branded GPU and install that into the DL580 and pass that thru to a Linux VM and have the AI run from there and just remove the processing entirely from the BlueIris box. 

The reason I would not run BlueIris on the DL580 is that I don't like the idea of the cameras not recording for 5-10 minutes while the server reboots, when the P330 takes 15 seconds. 

Id really stay away from the 580, cause that thing will use an incredible amount of power and head. I think it could cost over $1000 a year in power to keep running. 

4 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yup that should work. If your running windows server, you can also run the vm in hyper-v and do the passthough in windows aswell.

Can you explain more? I like the simplicity of this method - but I have not read about this sort of method. Thanks for your help.

Do what's right, not what's easy

22 minutes ago, NicholasBoccio said:

Can you explain more? I like the simplicity of this method - but I have not read about this sort of method. Thanks for your help.

what os are you running now?

gpu passthing in hyper-v is much more of a pain, but might be possible.

But its somewhat easy to clone windows from a pc to a vm.

Hey Nicholas, your setup sounds pretty amazing - just read through the stuff you posted on the Ubiquiti site too! Can I ask what you meant by running the AI on linux? Were you going to use the AI in a docker container? I ask as I'm about to go do the same - was inspired by the same video by The Hook Up too!

• 1 month later...

I currently have a DL580 G7 as well. Do you have a closet to put it in for long-term operation? What's the average cost of electricity in your area?

If you want to use the DL580 G7, I'd suggest doing the following:

• tune the BIOS power settings to low power
  • do noise testing for a few hours
  • throw a hypervisor onto it (like ESXi or RedHat KVM)
  • do more noise testing with the hypervisor booted up *
  • make a Linux VM and give the VM a GPU
  • do more noise testing with the VM running the workload *
  • adjust BIOS settings whenever necessary during * phases

If you insist on a dedicated OEM server, I would suggest a newer model, like this one:

For efficiency, since the newer E7 Xeons have more cores and lower power draw. But they also use the same cheap DDR3 ECC. Also has lots of PCIe slots, for future expansion.

I would avoid Windows altogether for this task, but that's up to you. You did mention this:

On 10/12/2020 at 5:17 AM, NicholasBoccio said:

however the AI program uses the CPU as it is installed on Windows, and cannot use the GPU on Windows. In order to use the GPU for AI, it must be installed on a Linux system.

Last note.

Servers like the DL580 are designed for virtualisation and multi-function iirc. You don't get a DL580 to run just one thing. You get it because you have a lot to do and little space to spare in your server room.

But hey - I could be wrong 🤔