EA rebrands FIFA 20 as FIFA 21 on Nintendo Switch and changes the character roster | Available for $49.99

AlTech

I will never understand why people play sports games. I think the last one I played was an NHL game on the N64 where you could get into fist fights, which was the most fun part of the game IIRC.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

5 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

I will never understand why people play sports games. I think the last one I played was an NHL game on the N64 where you could get into fist fights, which was the most fun part of the game IIRC.

You are right. I have a better idea: eSports The game!

You play a gamer in an eSport tournament... a game within a game! Even less effort as the game you get to play in the game is a game already develop and owned. And every year we just update the roster. And now it will be sold at $70 US thanks to the new console pricing model which of course will be applied to PC.. and we get to say that it because of Steam 30% service charge. Brilliant!!!! Let money printers commence!

EA reading this: Write that down! Write that down!!!

Well these 💩 bags are only after Money and don't care at all about the End Consumer.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

6 hours ago, soldier_ph said:

Well these 💩 bags are only after Money and don't care at all about the End Consumer.

Honestly, good for them! I mean their business model works. We know it isn't right, but for the target audience, they are clearly happy with the effort that EA does. This also includes the direction that they are taking. I am sure they are people who aren't happy, but EA financial statements suggest that those are a minority.

EA is probably not getting too much money out of it. Licensing fees for the teams and players are through the roof and there is no chance it could be sold as a "roster pack" for $10. I hate EA just like the next guy, but I also understand they didn't put any effort into it. They probably anticipated to sell only a few copies for the Switch and were just trying to get "fresh" content to the hardcore fans. Creating all the character models (and getting fresh photographs of the players) will take a lot of time and isn't cheap.

I'm pretty sure they'll still make a profit, but nothing spectacular.

Just for a frame of reference: World of Tanks/Warships is asking for more than $40 for a single tank/ship. They don't have any licensing fees and it's just one (a little bit more complex) model. EA doesn't seem to be too bad in this context.

4 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

You are right. I have a better idea: eSports The game!

You play a gamer in an eSport tournament... a game within a game! Even less effort as the game you get to play in the game is a game already develop and owned. And every year we just update the roster. And now it will be sold at $70 US thanks to the new console pricing model which of course will be applied to PC.. and we get to say that it because of Steam 30% service charge. Brilliant!!!! Let money printers commence!

EA reading this: Write that down! Write that down!!!

If we were in physical proximity to one another, I would probably physically strike you for coming up with that. Not a full on punch, more like a good old fashioned Gibbs Slap.

Spoiler

Because I would in no way be surprised if EA actually made that a game.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

This is nothing new for sports games on mobile devices. I am pretty sure the last couple of MLB The Show games for the Vita were just roster and schedule updates sold at a still expensive price point. Same with the FIFA games on the Vita. PES did the same thing last year, I believe, on Xbox and PlayStation. I get the desire to hate on EA, but when it comes to sports games, they are far from the only offenders.

This isn't the first time EA has just reheated last years offerings with little effort put in and sold it at the price games with a lot more work put into them and it won't be the last.

16 hours ago, dizmo said:

Why? Even the slightest bit of research would show you that making a version of the game specifically for the Switch is an absolutely horrible investment. Only 1% of sales of Fifa 20 were on the Switch. There simply isn't any reason to invest the massive capital to get next to nothing back. At least those that are on the Switch and really want to play it have an option at all; with 1% of sales I wouldn't have even bothered.

I mean is it a chicken or an egg thing? Did only 1% of sales come from the switch because they made a shit game for the switch version or did they make a shit version for the switch because of low sales? I think it would be hard to truly know unless we had them make a decent version on the switch and see how sales go. 

1 hour ago, Brooksie359 said:

I mean is it a chicken or an egg thing? Did only 1% of sales come from the switch because they made a shit game for the switch version or did they make a shit version for the switch because of low sales? I think it would be hard to truly know unless we had them make a decent version on the switch and see how sales go. 

Truth be told, EA doesn't like Nintendo at all.

They have their games there only because they are forced to put their games there (ie: Investors/shareholders will wonder why they don't have their products in an hugely popular game console.... and that it is a miss opportunity... and well, if they don't they are seen as they don't know what they are doing).

Assuming Nintendo would actually care, their hope is to be able to sell a game console, where EA has only to, basically, hit 1 button on their compiler to make that Nintendo console version. So that console would to be pretty powerful, or enough to be able to use the PC/XBox release and lower graphical settings without any additional optimization needed.

But I think Nintendo doesn't care much, because the company is currently uninterested in selling a $800 (or whatever) console, which will probably hurt more themselves by alienating their core players, and that most sports video game player, only plays 1 game, and it is that sports game. It is for a reason why you don't have another non-branded sports game. People want to play these game with realistic team names and players. In the old days you used to have several soccer games, football games, and so on... the moment these games with some official names with official roster came out, every sport fan ran getting it, and no one was interested in buying the others.

I believe they developed for Series X and PS5 this year too, but plan on holding all of their PC versions on Origin back to the PS4/Xbox One X versions indefinitely. If there's one thing EA love, it's screwing their customers every year.

CURRENT: intel i9-10900K ASUS ROG Maximus XII Hero ROG Strix RTX 3090 32GB 3600MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro RM1000i Lian Li O11-Dynamic

OFFICE: intel i5-3570K ASUS Z77 mITX EVGA GTX 970 SC 16GB 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance LP Silverstone SFX PSU Fractal Design Node 202

17 hours ago, PineyCreek said:

"Devil's Advocate Roll" sounds like an awesome entree at a sushi place.

Also, the only thing Legacy about anything EA puts out is that each product cements EA's legacy as being terrible.

Hahaha. Oy 🤦‍♂️

I'm not gonna lie though, I would absolutely love me some red devil roll..

Spoiler

SPECIAL ROLL - RED DEVIL - Picture of Samurai Sushi, Banska Bystrica -  Tripadvisor

4 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Honestly, good for them! I mean their business model works. We know it isn't right, but the target audience, they are happy with the effort that EA does, and the direction that they are taking. I am sure they are peopel who aren't happy, but EA financial statements suggest that those are a minority.

I don't understand why so few people on this forum realize that businesses do what businesses do; they're there mainly to make money, not make you happy.

That's simply a byproduct.

I mean, 1.38 billion is hardly a number to shrug at.

....then I remember that the forum is largely teens, or people that don't play FIFA.

2 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

The Switch isn't a powerful console at all, so I highly doubt they even really bothered putting much work into it. Most people play on console. Maybe they'll put in more effort when it's not running such potato hardware. Though, how many people own just a Switch? It's kind of an odd console to own on it's own. I've always seen it as something you own when you want to game on the go, in addition to something else; or if you really want those Nintendo exclusives.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

57 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Truth be told, EA doesn't like Nintendo at all.

They have their games there only because they are forced to put their games there (ie: Investors/shareholders will wonder why they don't have their products in an hugely popular game console.... and that it is a miss opportunity... and well, if they don't they are seen as they don't know what they are doing).

Assuming Nintendo would actually care, their hope is to be able to sell a game console, where EA has only to, basically, hit 1 button on their compiler to make that Nintendo console version. So that console would to be pretty powerful, or enough to be able to use the PC/XBox release and lower graphical settings without any additional optimization needed.

But I think Nintendo doesn't care much, because the company is currently uninterested in selling a $800 (or whatever) console, which will probably hurt more themselves by alienating their core players, and that most sports video game player, only plays 1 game, and it is that sports game. It is for a reason why you don't have another non-branded sports game. People want to play these game with realistic team names and players. In the old days you used to have several soccer games, football games, and so on... the moment these games with some official names with official roster came out, every sport fan ran getting it, and no one was interested in buying the others.

Yeah Nintendo has been very successful by not trying to compete with Microsoft and Sony in the console space and rather have their own market because they are simply very different. They don't really need to care about fifa or ea games in general because that is not what is selling their consoles. It Pokémon and Zelda and all the other Nintendo games that people like. 

22 hours ago, PineyCreek said:

...now, if they pull that with the Mass Effect remaster...pretty sure there'll be a riot...or not...maybe it's just expected from EA now. EA's garbage and ActiBlizz is a very close second.

Yeah, so sad that all the good games from the past treated like shit from the modern game dev giants.

I still play StarCraft (the original 640x480 stretch to full screen). Although StarCraft Remastered seems to be good looking and fixed the display issue and able to run it at full HD, but I just felt the old original one (aside from occasional graphic glitches) still play nicely with Windows 10! Now that's a game with future proof technology that even after 20 more years, it's still playable!

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

One of my new Classmates bought the brand new Fifa 2021 for 99 CHF today for his PS4, he got it on the break and was almost too late for class again 🤣 Like wtf, it's literally the same damn game every year.

@Gegger That's the same guy I talked about here.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

1 hour ago, soldier_ph said:

One of my new Classmates bought the brand new Fifa 2021 for 99 CHF today for his PS4, he got it on the break and was almost too late for class again 🤣 Like wtf, it's literally the same damn game every year.

Technically, the roster has been updated. And also, from what I am reading, the non-Switch version, has a few improvements and new features.

Also, for many sport video game player, it is the only game they play, pretty much. I guess they see it as a subscription of sorts.

EA, churches and scammers. All preying on the mentally challenged and making good money from it.