Secure Enclaves Anyone? T2 chip has unfixable vulnerabilities

Curufinwe_wins

Summary

Another enclave beats the dust 

Quotes

"I had already assumed that since T2 was vulnerable to Checkm8, it was toast," says Patrick Wardle, an Apple security researcher at the enterprise management firm Jamf and a former NSA researcher. "There really isn't much that Apple can do to fix it. It's not the end of the world, but this chip, which was supposed to provide all this extra security, is now pretty much moot."

My thoughts

Those who know or remember about previous discussions with Microsoft and Intel, know that I brought up this exact issue (as have many other arm chair and actual professional infosec folks). T2 makes almost everything else secure, if and only if it itself is fault-proof (an impossibility in real world terms) and the design means that faults within the chip are unpatchable. 

Sources

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2020/10/apples-t2-security-chip-has-an-unfixable-flaw/

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

I guess there's no longer a point to making their devices irreparable and Apple is just blatantly spewing electronic waste at this point. At least they'll eventually be carbon neutral, when you overlook the landfills and costly recycling plants.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

So did anyone actually think that would work...

Doubtful.

Just another "feature" to milk customers.

Also why do these companies not test this themselves? Oh I guess paying a few "white hat" hackers literally peanuts is cheaper, disregard the question.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I think there’s already another post with this

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

58 minutes ago, S w a t s o n said:

Repost

And repost of something that was debunked no less.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

And repost of something that was debunked no less.

Afaik, this is actually about the tool being released. It quite clearly has been compromised (visible proof having been shown in the last 6 months). I wrote the note quickly, so it wasn't completely perfect in summarizing the article. Now good news is it isn't a persistent hack, so that's generally nice, but the chip doesn't actually reboot every time the device does, so it's more complicated than just saying power cycle to remove the code exploit.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS