Devialet announces its first ANC earbuds: Gemini

Summary

French company Devialet (known for its Devialet Phantom Reactor wireless speakers) has just launched wireless headphones.

download.thumb.jpeg.b9b6ae72f4585cd3e5bba262a8ead37a.jpeg

Quotes

The headphones are called Gemini and aside from Active Noise Cancelling (ANC), the new in-ears are protected by three new patents: Pressure Balance Architecture, Internal Delay Compensation, and Ear Active Matching. 

The new Ear Active Matching technology promises enhanced signal transmission by adjusting audio signal frequency ranges in real-time, intelligently adapting Gemini’s sound for an optimal listening experience. This, says Devialet, means an end to a loss in sound quality when you turn your head suddenly, or those constant volume adjustments while running. With Devialet Gemini, if one of the earbuds moves, the in-built microphones will apparently detect the change in frequency and adapt, tailoring the signal to the ear up to 10,000 times per second. 

Two separate microphones in each earbud handle Active Noise Cancellation, while one dedicated microphone per earpiece enhances voice transmission. Under the casework, 10mm high excursion Devialet drivers promise sensitivity and low distortion. You get three levels of ANC and two levels of transparency, too.

The earbuds even boast the ability to determine which of the four supplied tips are best suited to you, via the dedicated Devialet Gemini iOS/Android app – and all in just five seconds. How? Why, by scanning your ears to find the perfect fit, of course. 

With the app, you can further personalise the sound using a six-band equaliser. An all-in-one touch button at the rear of the earbuds controls music playback, noise cancelling modes, and Siri or Google Assistant voice assistant support.

My thoughts

Exciting? Over hyped BS?

Sources

https://www.whathifi.com/news/devialets-first-true-wireless-headphones-are-here-featuring-active-noise-cancellation

https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/9/21508888/devialet-gemini-wireless-earbuds-price-specs

https://www.devialet.com/en-hk/true-wireless-earbuds/

Overhyped BS exists.  Independent reviews are preferred.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Meh. Just another pair of wireless earbuds that I'll never buy.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Floods and floods of crap in-ear silicon tipped earphones. Am I really the only one who hates things being stuck inside my ear canal?! I just can't stand it. Had problem with wired earphones before since everyone just makes this silicone crap and now it's the same with wireless ones. Like, come on.

27 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Floods and floods of crap in-ear silicon tipped earphones. Am I really the only one who hates things being stuck inside my ear canal?! I just can't stand it. Had problem with wired earphones before since everyone just makes this silicone crap and now it's the same with wireless ones. Like, come on.

Theres plenty of those plastic earbuds, I can't stand those because they don't block any noise and they fall out. In ears with silicone tips also sound better IMO, better mids and bass and they won't fall out on a run or riding on a bike.

As for these earbuds it's probably marketing BS as their bluetooth speaker was a bunch of marketing hype and costs as much as getting a nice audio setup.

46 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

The problem is there is the choice between deforming and non deforming.  A non deforming earbud is possible but they have to fit pretty exactly and people’s ears come in different shapes.  Before silicon the mass market move was just to make a hard hollow peg with a bit of a curved lip on the end and make the person’s ear deform to the shape of the device.  They frequently hurt. Latex can also deform and is softer than silicone, but it has other problems. earwax and even air degrade and harden it a bit like pink rubber erasers (find a house where all the erasers on pencils are useless?  Got an ear digger)  the musician solution used to be find a good monitor, get some hand deformable wax, work heat it to squishiyness, stick the monitor in it and stuff the mess in your ear and let it harden in place.  That way you get a cast of your ear.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Maybe I'm just so damn lucky, but Have been using standard earbuds since the dawn of Casette players back in the 90's and then on Discman and later on MP3 players and now with wireless ones and none of them ever feel out of my ears.

52 minutes ago, ThePinkPiggy said:

The OP only has 1 post? This is a blatant ad and should be deleted.

i created the account to post this, to get people's feedback and thoughts on a product i'm potentially interested in.

it's certainly not intended as an ad, i tried to follow the guidelines mentioned in the pinned post

in any case, i'm looking forward to reading / watching independent reviews!

On 10/10/2020 at 4:39 AM, AnilD said:

The new Ear Active Matching technology promises enhanced signal transmission by adjusting audio signal frequency ranges in real-time, intelligently adapting Gemini’s sound for an optimal listening experience. This, says Devialet, means an end to a loss in sound quality when you turn your head suddenly, or those constant volume adjustments while running. With Devialet Gemini, if one of the earbuds moves, the in-built microphones will apparently detect the change in frequency and adapt, tailoring the signal to the ear up to 10,000 times per second. 

my worst nightmare...

(and by the description completely useless... as long the ear piece itself doesn't move the sound also doesn't change, and even if , that's still much preferable over a stupid computer algorithm that "knows what's best for me")

TYVM, but I'll keep using my ~15 year old Sony Xperias, tyvm ~

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 10/10/2020 at 8:55 AM, RejZoR said:

Am I really the only one who hates things being stuck inside my ear canal?! I just can't stand it.

Right there with you. I find the apple airpod (non pro) style much nicer...both wireless and the corded before then....they're not as secure sadly...fall out too easily...but I hate hate hate the feeling of things stuck into the ear canal.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

43 minutes ago, Video Beagle said:

Right there with you. I find the apple airpod (non pro) style much nicer...both wireless and the corded before then....they're not as secure sadly...fall out too easily...but I hate hate hate the feeling of things stuck into the ear canal.

How about hooks around your ears?  That is also an option. 

On 10/15/2020 at 7:12 PM, ouroesa said:

ANC you say...

African_National_Congress_logo.jpg

I also thought this.  Acronyms have problems this way.