One of the biggest consumer graphics chips ever produced by AMD? Youtuber claims Big Navis Die Size is 536mm2.

4 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

And MLID was wrong on pretty much everything else he said about the 30 series so I wouldn't bet on him getting the price right either.

Not really. He got a couple things wrong as I've said before and he fixed that. This just comes across to me as hating on MLID for no valid reason.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

5 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

For the 3080 specifically the cooler required is between $150-200. MLID says the total bill of materials for the 3080 cards is around $500-600.

Bill of materials is pretty well impossible to know or guess because Nvidia does what ever they want with the GPU package prices, and what they charge AIBs is not what it costs either.

6 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

For the 3080 specifically the cooler required is between $150-200. MLID says the total bill of materials for the 3080 cards is around $500-600.

Would make sense if the AIBs can't make 3090s for MSRP. Though I'd say that bill of metrials couldn't be accurately predicted.

46 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Bill of materials is pretty well impossible to know or guess because Nvidia does what ever they want with the GPU package prices, and what they charge AIBs is not what it costs either.

You could say its pretty expensive but an actual price would be difficult as you said.

Think AMD will have the upper hand with that as well with the cooler looking like a standard three fan or dual fan affair and likely being much cheaper to produce. Fs in the chat for the AIBs and for us as well because I don't think AIB partner cards will be coming for RDNA 2 at launch which makes sense; the AIBs are leaky af and NVIDIA would known exactly what AMD had well in advance and could have prepared for it. Hopefully the reference cooler is decent and not terrible like AMDs previous blower cards but I think I'll be waiting until I can consider all the options.

My Rigs | CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X | Motherboard: ASRock X570 Taichi | CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 | GPU: AMD Radeon Powercolor 7800XT Hellhound | RAM: 32GB of G.Skill Trident Z Neo @3600MHz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W G+ | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C TG | SSDs: WD BLACK SN850X 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | SSHD: Seagate FireCuda 2TB (Backup) | HDD: Seagate IronWolf 4TB (Backup of Other PCs) | Capture Card: AVerMedia Live Gamer HD 2 | Monitors: AOC G2590PX & Acer XV272U Pbmiiprzx | UPS: APC BR1500GI Back-UPS Pro | Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Chroma V2 | Mouse: Razer Naga Pro | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

First System: Dell Dimension E521 with AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+, 3GB DDR2 RAM

PSU Tier List          AMD Motherboard Tier List          SSD Tier List

On 10/5/2020 at 10:10 PM, TetraSky said:

I'm surprised it took AMD this long to made a beefy GPU die. I wonder why they limited themselves to that size though instead of going ham on it and equaling or surpassing Nvidia's die size for more transistors ?

For a while >10 years ago ATi/AMD and Nvidia dies were getting bigger and bigger, but that trend ended.
The big two disadvantages of a big die from a manufacturer's viewpoint is that:

A) Your making a lot less chips per wafer. - More wafers = Longer to manufacture, and costs more.

B) The chance for a chip to fail is higher. And with less chips in general your failure rate can be extremely high.

Kinda an extreme example.
The one on the right has dies that are 2x the size as on the left.(for ease of making this image). The Green dots are imperfections on the wafer and are in the same exact spots on both wafers. Red are failed, Blue are perfect.
Diesize.png.1588307338faebb2218c0378261910f0.png
Left has 44/52 chips that are functional. Right has 5/12 chips that are functional.
Even if all the bigger ones were functional, that only making 27% of the functional smaller chips. Hooray exponentials!

I still think it would be interesting to prove they can, but maybe a halo card is not as important as some people claim. I also saw multiple mentions that AMD's architectures weren't going to scale to bigger die sizes, that was also said to change in RDNA - finally being able to make big dies which actually improve performance.

Can't wait for it to come out.

12 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

There's no way BOM cost is that high unless either nvidia or their partners are losing money on every card sold. BOM cost is literally the cost of the components used to make a product, and doesn't include anything else. No licencing fees, shipping, development, non-product related costs... 

One way to get such a high number is if you incorrectly use retail values for example, but that is not how manufacturers count BOM cost. Or it could be wrong in many other ways such as grossly over-estimating the cost of key components. Take the cooler, if you look at it, there's not really anything special about it in terms of mechanical construction. I can't see it being $150 retail value, let alone $150 BOM.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, porina said:

There's no way BOM cost is that high unless either nvidia or their partners are losing money on every card sold. BOM cost is literally the cost of the components used to make a product, and doesn't include anything else. No licencing fees, shipping, development, non-product related costs... 

One way to get such a high number is if you incorrectly use retail values for example, but that is not how manufacturers count BOM cost. Or it could be wrong in many other ways such as grossly over-estimating the cost of key components. Take the cooler, if you look at it, there's not really anything special about it in terms of mechanical construction. I can't see it being $150 retail value, let alone $150 BOM.

Agree.

For comparison, the BOM for the iPhone 4 was 188 dollars.

So MLID (the clown that he is) is claiming that the cooler for the 3080 costs as much to make as an iPhone. There is simply no way that is true.

And like I said earlier, he was wrong on pretty much everything else regarding the 3080 so I don't get why we should believe him when it comes to the BOM for the cooler.

5 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Agree.

For comparison, the BOM for the iPhone 4 was 188 dollars.

So MLID (the clown that he is) is claiming that the cooler for the 3080 costs as much to make as an iPhone. There is simply no way that is true.

And like I said earlier, he was wrong on pretty much everything else regarding the 3080 so I don't get why we should believe him when it comes to the BOM for the cooler.

I don’t agree that MLID is a clown.  He is a gossip columnist and weirdly gossip column work requires immense journalistic rigor to obtain even middling results, so I suspect he has reasoning and diligence behind his estimates.  That said anything done there can only be an estimate and might not be accurate so “believing” as in taking as gospel simply should not be done with anything on that site.  And of course there is always the possibility that something or even simply some part of the equation was simply pulled from his ass. So a fuzzy picture, possibly with immense errors.  Salt must be used.  Cant take it for more than it is. “Best possible” doesn’t always even mean “good” and is very rarely even close to perfect. Even a fuzzy picture can be better than none though.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.