YOUTUBE LYRIC CHANNEL

Agena_
Go to solution Solved by pythonmegapixel,
14 minutes ago, Agena_ said:

this is a random one i got from youtube. so is it not allowed to create a channel like this?

I don't understand why you keep asking the same question??

No it is not allowed. What makes you think it would be? Unless they have specifically licensed the song from the record label, what that channel is doing is illegal.

No use of music video, only audio.

That's entirely irrelevant. The music is copyright, just as the music video is (though those rights might belong to different people)

doesnt matter about demonitization

Well it's entirely possible that demonetisation is the worst that happens. However, that doesn't change the fact that you would be breaking the law.

Basically: don't do it. If you do, it's at your own risk.

Hi, i was interested in creating a youtube lyric channel. and i was researching that owners can take away the revenue and keep the video. Or you can split it in half with the owner

How common is this? that owners will allow half revenue.

Thanks in advance

Often depends but some are shitty and take full and some are nice

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Just now, Kanna said:

Often depends but some are shitty and take full

How is that shitty? It's their copyright, why should someone random who illegally reuploads the music get to make even half revenue from it?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

1 minute ago, pythonmegapixel said:

How is that shitty? It's their copyright, why should someone random who illegally reuploads the music get to make even half revenue from it?

i saw it on this website, that if you contact them some may let the channel keep half

I doubt it's common. I also doubt you'll get a for sure answer, as it's one of those things people never really talk about. Besides doing lyrical breakdowns and doing reviews (see Crypt for how to do it right) you can expect to make zero dollars, and even then companies like to claim everything

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

pretty sure it could fall under fair use as long as you claim you didnt make the music and give the right details about who made it

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

Just now, eeeee1 said:

pretty sure it could fall under fair use as long as you claim you didnt make the music and give the right details about who made it

What?

How is just reuploading someone's work verbatim fair use?

Credits don't pay the bills, you know.

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

4 minutes ago, eeeee1 said:

Youtube's copyright system doesn't support non-transformative content. Transformative content includes reactions, reviews and the like. They must also be actually transformative. So someone like pokimane wouldn't be able to claim fair use. And no simply doing lyrics wouldn't work.

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

15 minutes ago, Agena_ said:

Hi, i was interested in creating a youtube lyric channel. and i was researching that owners can take away the revenue and keep the video. Or you can split it in half with the owner

How common is this? that owners will allow half revenue.

Thanks in advance

Most probably you will get a copyright claim the second your video is uploaded.

4 minutes ago, eeeee1 said:

To be considered fair use the work, in this case video, has to be transformative, for example criticizing something, commenting on something or making a parody. The key part here is transformative, if you just play a song with lyrics on the screen, that is not transformative and the video will almost certainly have a copyright notice where the owner of the copyright receives all monetization from your video, or the video gets taken down altogether.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

You should be aware, by the way, that greater legal repercussions are possible for copyright infringement.  Which, unless you are actually securing licenses from copyright holders, a youtube channel like this definitely is. A rights holder would be fully entitled to take you to court for such a violation, and in my opinion, rightly so.

It's uncommon for it to happen to YouTubers, but you should still be aware of it.

pythonmegapixel

1 minute ago, pythonmegapixel said:

You should be aware, by the way, that greater legal repercussions are possible for copyright infringement.  Which, unless you are actually securing licenses from copyright holders, a youtube channel like this definitely is. A rights holder would be fully entitled to take you to court for such a violation, and in my opinion, rightly so.

It's uncommon for it to happen to YouTubers, but you should still be aware of it.

personally i feel that if i were a big music record company, i wouldnt bring a like 10 subscriber youtuber to court just because they made a lyric video. legal repercussions or not, the worst that would probably happen is that youtube would cordially ask you in the youtube studio to remove the music. oh yeah and demonetize it

PC specs:

Corsair H100i platinum

RTX 2060

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

7 minutes ago, eeeee1 said:

personally i feel that if i were a big music record company, i wouldnt bring a like 10 subscriber youtuber to court just because they made a lyric video. legal repercussions or not, the worst that would probably happen is that youtube would cordially ask you in the youtube studio to remove the music. oh yeah and demonetize it

Key word there is probably, the copyright owner probably won’t take legal actions, but they would be fully in their right to do so regardless of how many subscribers the channel has.

Just now, The_russian said:

Key word there is probably, the copyright owner probably won’t take legal actions, but they would be fully in their right to do so regardless of how many subscribers the channel has.

Precisely.

YouTube has created this stupid culture of "oh copyright doesn't matter" and people feeling entitled to use whatever they want from anywhere on the internet without the original creator's agreement. Sometimes I think people have forgotten this sh*t is actual law and has been settled in the past with actual, very expensive, lawsuits.

pythonmegapixel

6 minutes ago, eeeee1 said:

youtube would cordially ask you in the youtube studio to remove the music

LOL.

No, they just block your video. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

LOL.

You can also get a copyright strike and after three strikes your channel is gone forever.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

3 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

LOL.

funny that when i used some copyright music they didnt block my video, instead just asking me to cut it out or just demonetize it.

PC specs:

Corsair H100i platinum

RTX 2060

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

LOL.

It depends on what action the copyright owner takes, most of the time the video will stay up but all monetization will go the the copyright owner, it’s free income for them. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a video get taken down due to use of copyrighted music, usually a take down is cause by use of parts of a copyrighted video.

All revenue goes to copyright holder. Sometimes they even block videos worldwide

Ryzen 3 1200

8GB DDR4

1050Ti

#animeaspfpgang

2 hours ago, The_russian said:

It depends on what action the copyright owner takes, most of the time the video will stay up but all monetization will go the the copyright owner, it’s free income for them. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a video get taken down due to use of copyrighted music, usually a take down is cause by use of parts of a copyrighted video.

dont worry about revenue, if i use a music video and make black bars and add lyrics. is that ok? it doesnt really matter if they take revenue

9 minutes ago, Agena_ said:

dont worry about revenue, if i use a music video and make black bars and add lyrics. is that ok? it doesnt really matter if they take revenue

Well that is not legal at all but it's reasonably likely that nothing will come of it other than them taking revenue or taking the video down.

However your channel gets suspended after a certain number of copyright incidents (3?).

I am not a lawyer, and the above is not legal advice. I do not endorse the violation of copyright law.

pythonmegapixel

1 hour ago, Agena_ said:

Is that ok legally? No, you are not transforming the copyrighted material, in this case the song, so it is not legal. Are you going to be taken to court over it? Probably not but as I mentioned earlier, the copyright holder would be in their full legal right to do so if they choose. Basically proceed at your own risk, I am not condoning that you break the law. 

4 hours ago, Kilrah said:

LOL.

No, they frequently will force you to change the audio. I have a handful of old videos that got muted or replaced with stock music after copyright claims that were filed years later.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

You can change the audio to get it reinstated but the first action is to block playback / remove audio / demonetize, they're not "nicely asking to change it before taking action" as the post I replied to insinued.

F@H

GPD Win 2