Suddenly getting insanely high download speeds on my PS4

zerowhy
Go to solution Solved by badreg,
16 minutes ago, zerowhy said:

It is definitely not a problem in reporting though, I downloaded a 74GB game in a hour and 10 minutes.
Also, it is 400mbps higher, and I don't get those speeds on my computer or other devices on the network. I'm going to try to connect my computer directly to the main router and edit my post with the results, but I don't think my ISP is giving me free bandwidth, specially since in Brazil ISPs are garbage and expensive

74GB in 4200 seconds is 140Mbps. That's nowhere near 500Mbps. While it is higher than 100Mbps, that could be due to overprovisioning, or you are not measuring correctly.

I own 100mbps download/upload speeds via fibre optic cables.

My network is setup in a way that the main router (my ISP one) is connected to another router in a Ethernet cable in bridge mode so I can have more Ethernet ports in total.

My Playstation 4 was connected to the second router, which is in fact slower than my main one.

However, recently I changed it so my PS4 was connected directly to the main router and I started to get 500mbps speeds in my PS4.

Nothing changed on my computer, nor for anything else on my network, only the console.

I'm not complaining, but I would like to understand it, as it seems very odd to me. Any ideas of what it could be?

No, I did not buy more internet speed or use any tricks.

I live in Brazil.

UPDATE: I plugged in my computer directly to the main router and got around 200mbps. Still not what my PS4 managed to get but damn!
Apparently I just can't calculate mbps correctly oops

Depending on how it reports, it could be higher than the actual internet speed. Depending on the ISP network it could also allocate more bandwidth. For example, I've seen speeds for me about 50 to 100mbps higher than the advertised speed iirc. It could also just be a glitch in reporting. 

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

9 minutes ago, piratemonkey said:

Depending on how it reports, it could be higher than the actual internet speed. Depending on the ISP network it could also allocate more bandwidth. For example, I've seen speeds for me about 50 to 100mbps higher than the advertised speed iirc. It could also just be a glitch in reporting. 

It is definitely not a problem in reporting though, I downloaded a 74GB game in a hour and 10 minutes.
Also, it is 400mbps higher, and I don't get those speeds on my computer or other devices on the network. I'm going to try to connect my computer directly to the main router and edit my post with the results, but I don't think my ISP is giving me free bandwidth, specially since in Brazil ISPs are garbage and expensive

1 minute ago, zerowhy said:

Also, it is 400mbps higher, and I don't get those speeds on my computer or other devices on the network. I'm going to try to connect my computer directly to the main router and edit my post with the results, but I don't think my ISP is giving me free bandwidth, specially since in Brazil ISP are garbage and expensive

🤔

Hmm, quite peculiar. Very very interesting. This must be an error on the ISPs part

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

shh just dont tell anyone

51 minutes ago, piratemonkey said:

🤔

Hmm, quite peculiar. Very very interesting. This must be an error on the ISPs part

don't let them know that

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

16 minutes ago, zerowhy said:

74GB in 4200 seconds is 140Mbps. That's nowhere near 500Mbps. While it is higher than 100Mbps, that could be due to overprovisioning, or you are not measuring correctly.

39 minutes ago, badreg said:

apparently I can't do basic math oops. xD
still, my ps4 reports 500mbps but that is probably calculation errors
thanks for the help

-> Moved to Networking

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv