So Nvidia ...

oldSock
21 hours ago, WereCatf said:

No, it's not. No one is forcing you to keep buying the top-end stuff. It's perfectly feasible to spend a lot less money and still get something quite reasonable and it's equally feasible to keep power-draw down. You are choosing to spend all that money on expensive and/or power-hungry components, it's your choice.

In some situations we get to deal with "minimum requirements and at this point the choice was made for us. It is not something everyone will run into, that said some of us do and it is a pain to deal with. 

Anyhow Everyone that took  the time to read and contribute, i honestly thank all of you. It really does help to figure stuff out.

Thank you for participating it means a lot 🙂

be safe 🙂

50 minutes ago, oldSock said:

That is just the tip of all this really. Yes you can make due without insurance and security i guess. I personally will not recommend it as the value of modern systems are really high and not easy to replace unless you really can afford not to care about it. But that said if it is your livelihood and it is the case for me, then the above is a good idea.

As long as it's in my home, home insurance cover everything in it up to a certain amount total, at least here.

And for things just randomly dying by itself, you got warranty.

Also, what security are you paying for? If you mean antivirus, Windows defender and common sense is more than enough in today's age.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

20 hours ago, Moonzy said:

AMD doesnt undervolt as gracefully, from what i heard at least.

I can neither confirm or deny. My AMD card doesn't OC or underclock at all, lol.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

On 9/25/2020 at 8:16 AM, Mihle said:

As long as it's in my home, home insurance cover everything in it up to a certain amount total, at least here.

And for things just randomly dying by itself, you got warranty.

Also, what security are you paying for? If you mean antivirus, Windows defender and common sense is more than enough in today's age.

Well security comes in many forms, Physical security "alarm system and service" is where  it starts for me. My insurance "again your situation my differ from mine" require an alarm system and service. Second form of security is online, this is done by having a good antivirus and other third party software. Then there is data security in the forms of backups. This for me still takes the form of DVDs and Hard drives and in other situations as well as other solutions that Microsoft offer for a small fee. Combined they start to add up. But that said i do benefit from having a panic button, to being able to travel for work for extended times. Other services i can also list many of them paid for but all of them essential. 

So really it comes down to what the situation asks for. Yours can be completely different to mine. Also different countries have different ideas on insurance and the like. So i cannot tell you my situation is the norm. Fact is i will say my situation is really NOT the norm at all. But that said it does add up for me.  

On 9/24/2020 at 3:22 AM, oldSock said:

Good day everyone,

Be warned many of you may not like what i am about to write below.

Well If you got this far remember the above before moving forward.

Well if you still reading this thank you for keeping an open mind

So we are looking at 8k gaming and GPU's that are both power-hungry and powerful at the same time.

Now disclaimer I buy second-hand stuff. It is cost effective and really most of the stuff works just fine and yes i got a few DOA parts as well.

The thing is NVIDIA is a massive company and they make really good components. Seriously most of their cards last long, does a good job and age reasonably well. As a second hand user i will never deny this. 

But what we are essentially seeing is the death of the enthusiast market. Very soon many if not all of us will be getting use to GPU farm subscriptions and hope our ISP providers brought their "A" game to the table.

Why so oldSock? Surly if you can afford it just buy the hardware and stop your crying.

Look i am ALL for OWNING a nice powerful computer, i am all for keeping my data local and out of the hands of AI algorithms. I am all for privacy. But the cost of ownership when it comes to really powerful hardware is at a point now that a monthly subscription just seems better.

Why? Well there is the cost of constant upgrading, basic maintenance, power draw and insurance. It is not just the hardware anymore. These systems really do demand that we put down a fat stack of cash almost every month. If you are in a country with power scarcity, or unreliable power distribution you would know that a UPS is absolutely essential but even then it doesn't solve the problem. Why? Simply put powerful hardware is very susceptible to unstable "dirty" power.

So what am i on about?

Simple, see NVIDIA builds cards that will draw massive amounts of power and demands high end hardware along side their own products. This means we as users must now seriously consider having proper insurance for something that depreciate in value almost immediately after buying it. We need 1Killowatt+ PSUs to run the hardware and really stable "clean" power to keep it all alive for as long as humanly possible. Now if you add all of this up, why do you want to own this? It literally is a money pit. 

So why not rather pay for a service that give you access to above hardware all the time? Let someone else worry about security, insurance, data consumption, power bill, upgrading and maintaining. i as a end user, just want something that works. So if i can fork out some cash to access a desktop that is essentially more powerful than anything i realistically can own and i don't have to pay for all the other stuff, then this becomes a very realistic solution. This means i can have a nice second hand affordable solution and still enjoy "the same if not better" performance then most enthusiasts.

So essentially NVIDIA is moving towards this future. Despite the price drop their biggest clients will always be corporate/industrial and we will eventually end up buying access rather then owning. I mean look how easily and effortlessly they tanked their own older generation cards. Now consider how many users really are upset because they spend real bloody money on their rigs. i personally are considering subscription services. i am not their yet but the fact that i as a budget user are looking into it is telling.

I agree with your post, but I still don't think we're quite there yet. This will change once latency becomes really low, and you get to experience pretty much the same as if you had the hardware. Once we get to this stage, we can fork the money into getting the best visual and sound systems we can afford.

The current generation of high-end PCs has *nothing* in terms of power consumption. Not that long ago it was normal to run dual high-end GPUs in a top-spec gaming rig. That's a consistent 500W right there vs. peak around 400W for even a 3090.

Insurance? Warranty is free, and components don't fail nearly as often as they used to thanks to the overall standard of PSUs getting much better as well as most manufacturers moving to many-year or lifetime warranty plans.

Maintenance? What realistically do you need to do for maintenance? Clean out a few fans, maybe replace some paste. That's like 25 cents worth of materials, and not that often.

Upgrading? Again, nowhere near as exacting as it used to be. There was a time when every new GPU turned your previous system into a paperweight. That time is no more.

On 9/26/2020 at 4:40 PM, Grabhanem said:

The current generation of high-end PCs has *nothing* in terms of power consumption. Not that long ago it was normal to run dual high-end GPUs in a top-spec gaming rig. That's a consistent 500W right there vs. peak around 400W for even a 3090.

Insurance? Warranty is free, and components don't fail nearly as often as they used to thanks to the overall standard of PSUs getting much better as well as most manufacturers moving to many-year or lifetime warranty plans.

Maintenance? What realistically do you need to do for maintenance? Clean out a few fans, maybe replace some paste. That's like 25 cents worth of materials, and not that often.

Upgrading? Again, nowhere near as exacting as it used to be. There was a time when every new GPU turned your previous system into a paperweight. That time is no more.

Well i will agree that today's computers are not nearly as power hungry as they was. However GPUs do consume a lot of power specially when hit with a heavy workload but even that is not really a complain.

Again that said, running cost differs as in my situation i need a very powerful UPS so can save and shutdown properly. That said yes most components do not need maintenance. However i must clarify i consider backing my data up as maintenance and since i use a media to do it on it does add to the cost. i use a lot of DVDs. scary amounts actually. Also i have a lot of hard drive that also add to the cost.

As for insurance? Well a lot of situations exist that your standard Warranty will not cover. But again this is situational rather then a must have.

Upgrading for me =  second hand parts if i can get good parts.